“Gave away our room even though we had checked in” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Regency Houston

You added Hyatt Regency Houston to your Saves list
Hyatt Regency Houston
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1200 Louisiana Street, In the Center of Downtown, Houston, TX 77002 (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Bed & Breakfast Package
Ranked #126 of 455 Hotels in Houston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Houston, TX
“Gave away our room even though we had checked in”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

We booked two rooms, one for my wife and I, and one for our daughter. I checked in online prior to arrival and picked up keys from the kiosk upon arrival. We occupied one room but not the other as our daughter was not coming until 10 p.m. When she got there and tried to enter her room, the keys did not work. She went down to the desk (I had to get out of bed and go down there myself as the room was under my name) and was given another set of keys only to find that the room was occupied by another guest. I was told that housekeeping makes a sweep of the rooms around 7 p.m. and IF THE ROOM APPEARS EMPTY, even if you have already checked in and picked up keys, THE ROOM IS CONSIDERED UNOCCUPIED AND RENTED TO OTHER GUESTS. This is exactly what happened. This is a horrible practice! And why were we given keys to someone else's room??

We typically stay at Marriott properties and booked the Hyatt only because it had a pool and we have young children as well. We've stayed at a nearby Marriott Residence Inn/Courtyard property and this is where we'll stay if we need to stay downtown again. I will not book this hotel again.

Room Tip: The higher the better. This is an open atrium hotel and the lobby is quite noisy.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Tom J, Manager at Hyatt Regency Houston, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Thank you for sharing your comments from your recent visit. Immediately please accept my apology for our poor performance in checking out your room. It was an isolated error on our part that should not have happened. I have reached out to you personally so that I can ensure we make amends. I hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
Woerden, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

Been in the hotel for a two day conference which was held in the hotel.

All went smooth, but for a hotel within this class that should be a given. Did not use any of the hotel's bar / restaurants as this was organized separately by the conference. Hotel room was ok, nothing spectacular. No bathrobe, no mini bar....not even an empty fridge. In this class....it's a first for me.

• Stayed September 2013
Milan, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

Stayed here for business.

Very nice hotel, with spacious rooms, good service, quality restaurant for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
Outdoor pool is too small for exercise, but it could be a good relief from the heat.

• Stayed September 2013
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

Even though I live in Houston I wanted to be downtown for early Sunday morning. Valet was quick and easy ($30 versus $15 for self park). A doorman showed me how to do self check in and after I did I realized I wanted a room on a higher floor. He took my room key and returned a few minutes later with not only a higher floor, but an upgrade to the suite floor. Room was spacious, clean, comfortable and had a huge bathroom. Unique walk-down shower with 2 shower heads. Bed was comfy, lots of lamps and 2 large windows. Check out at noon. The $14 breakfast buffet was DELICIOUS! Made to order omelets and waffles, several egg dishes, potatoes, pastries, bacon and sausage.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
We are delighted you enjoyed your in town getaway. Thank you for sharing your comments especially about our breakfast buffet. We hope you have a chance to visit again.
Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

I stay here frequently while doing business in downtown Houston. Rooms are spacious and nicely decorated. Hotel is clean. Gym facility is small for a hotel of this size - but equipment is nice. The west side of downtown Houston gets pretty quiet after 7PM with few if any opportunities for food. This property has a good in-house restaurant in the lobby - and a revolving restaurant on the top floor. PLUS - there is a 24 hour Einstein Bagel cafe - very much appreciated when arriving from late flights and restaurants are all closed.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Tom J, Manager at Hyatt Regency Houston, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Thank you for sharing your comments. We appreciate your loyalty and regular visits to our hotel. We are glad to be your home away from home when you travel to Houston. See you on your next visit.
Durham, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

I stayed in 1713 for 3 nights whilst in town on business for a conference at the George Brown Convention Center. The hotel was walkable in the evening (when the heat/humidity was low), but otherwise a quick bus or hotel shuttle ride away.

Service was good - my room was clean, check-in was efficient. I'd especially like to give a shout out to the great Concierge Desk - Nicholas helped me on a few occasions with transport questions, and another guy helped me with a horrendous flight check-in challenge. Both went out of their way and were super friendly, which was awesome.

My king guest room was very big - bathroom was clean and a good size as well. I didn't care for the hotel design - with open interior hallways overlooking the lobby area. It's pretty, but can get noisy. I asked for a quiet room and mine wasn't bad, but be specific about your request if you know you are attending during a big conference.

Tea/coffee is the room was good, and there is an Einstein Bagel in the lobby which provided a cheap quick breakfast option.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room that doesn't open on to the lobby hallways
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Montréal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

This hotel is one the best in Houston Downtown area.

Location : Louisiana street is one of the busiest street downtown. walkable to distance to any office. and well connected to the underground tunnel.

Rooms : I got a king bed room on the 27th floor corner room, it's kind of the best rooms as they are less noisy than the one in the corridor. The room was clean, renovated, with new shower. The bath amenities were smelling good. you have an ipod dock where you can listen to your music and charge you phone.

Services : The hotel have 3 restaurants : the rooftop revolving restaurant, spectacular view of the city, and great food, the service is bit long but it's perferct for a romantic dinner or business dinner.
The steak house Shula on the 1st floor has very good steak and is like a sport bar.
The Einstein bagel shop on 1st floor is open 24/7 and excellent for quick breakfast to take out.

The hotels has a also a roof top pool on the 6th floor, that is well maintenant. and complete gym in the basement.

I stayed in this hotel everytime I visit houston and I find it practical and well located for business.

If you are looking for a night life district, you will need to use Taxi because there is nothing open late around, this is Houston downtown I guess.

Room Tip: Corner room are the less noisy.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Been to Hyatt Regency Houston? Share your experiences!