“Super friendly staff” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #101 of 457 Hotels in Houston
Dallas, Texas
“Super friendly staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2011

I recently stayed at the Hilton Houston Southwest hotel for business. The minute I walked in, I was greeted by a number of staff. The check-in process was one of the quickest I’ve experienced. They had my key and breakfast coupons ready to go when I got there.

Because I travel quite a bit for business, I am particular about the type of room. I asked if it was non-adjoining and the clerk said no. I had also assumed being Hilton Gold that my preferences were taken into account (away from elevator, ice machine etc). When I got to my room, it was 1) right by the elevator and 2) adjoining. Not fun to drag all of my things back downstairs to get a different room.

However, in doing so, Gary (the manager) made sure I got a much better room and even escorted me up there. He offered me a free dinner or extra points and remembered my name throughout my stay. I told him extra points would be better. It took almost two weeks (and a reminder to the hotel) to credit me my points, but I have them.

I just haven’t seen hotels where every one of the staff is waiting to help and very friendly. Each one of them seemed to really enjoy their jobs and were eager to please. It was a unique and comforting atmosphere.

About the hotel, the rooms are spacious, it has plenty of free parking and a good location off the Southwest Fwy in Houston. The hotel is a bit older, but it’s clean and the staff are wonderful. I would definitely stay there again. Big thanks to Nina for helping me out!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the back side of the hotel
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
atlanta ga
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2011

I have stayed at this particular hotel several times over the last few years for business trips, and I am surprised I have not written a review prior to this stay.... but the service I received this week was so good, I need to do it.
This hotel from the outside may appear slightly dated, and if your expecting a brand new modern hilton, then keep looking... but if you want a really nice comfortable room, and a staff that is seriously second to none, then I recommend this hotel over all others.
My rooms have always been clean, comfortable, and the beds and pillows are super comfy.
My first night here this last visit I will say my a/c appeared to not be cooling the room, so I told the desk the next morning and when I got back from my meetings, it was working like new and the room was nice and cold. The Executive level floor is a nice plus, with the lounge which includes free sodas and water, and some appetizers and snacks in the afternoon.
The gym is nice, and larger than many hotels which just convert a room in a gym. They have good equipment and weights.
Diamond memebers get free b'fast at the hotel restaurant and it has always been good.
I can't say enough about the staff. Friendliness goes A LONG WAY these days, and they are so nice at the desk, the restaurant, and even the manager(s) who greet you at the elevators to ask how your day was or wishing you safe travels or a nice evening.
Every time I go to Houston, this is the FIRST hotel I check rates and availability on.

london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2011

I have stayed in several Hiltons in the Houston area but the welcome one received on arrival at Hilton Southwest was exceptional.

I had asked for an e-upgrade to a junior suite (for a small extra cost) but this had not been done on my arrival. The lady at the reception apologised and upgraded me free of charge as I was a diamond hhonors member.

I was taken aback by a gentleman who rushed to call the lift for me to go to our room. He said "we are so pleased to have you here and we hope you have an excellent time" . This was an unusual greeting and immediately makes you feel that you are special. We were there for only 2 nights but I saw him just outside the lift on several occasions doing his best to make one feel special. All emembers of staff appear to be falling over themselves to say or do something to make you feel like coming back to the hotel.

Both he (the man outside the lift) and another gentleman were constantly on the "prowl" for who they could greet and ask if there was something they could do to help. They always ended by wishing you an excellent day. The crew in the breakfast area were also always smiling and always willing to help.

I have always associated welcoming cookies and the refreshing drinks with Hilton Garden Inns but was glad to see this at a full service Hilton. Due to a busy schedule, I did not go to the Executive lounge at anytime and therefore unable to comment on it. I would, however, be surprised if it did not live to the level of excellence of other parts.

My flight out of the US was delayed and I was offered snacks and drinks if I wanted to stay in the lobby area. These were offered with a smile. I was mildly scolded for pushing the trolley with my suitcases as they had people to help me do that and I did not need to that. This was not Waldorf Astoria (NY), Roosevelt (New Orleans), Cavalieri(Rome) or Conrad (Tokyo) which areall higher rated Hiltons. I have stayed in all these and even though they are better decorated, I was not made to feel as welcome as I was at this hotel

Unfortunately, I forgot an item in my room and had to drive back from theairport (over 20 miles away) for it. It was unfortunate that despite our calling ahead that the item was not immediately available for our collection. We were able to make our flight by just a hair's breadth. The problem was that the key of the lost and found property room in the hotel was only held by 2 people who took the keys home. It would have been logistically a better plan for the manager on duty to have access to the room rather than what prevails now.

The effort that was put in to get the key (unnecessary if organised otherwise) was, however, commendable. The problem was not enough to dampen my enthusiasm for the place and if I come back to the Houston area will surely stay at this hotel.

I hope they maintain their excellent service.

Chima

PS The free parking is an added bonus.
CM

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2011

This hotel stands out with its exceptionally excellent service. The atmosphere is just uplifting through the overall contagiously positive attitude of staff. And it's not fake, they mean it.

Joseph McCoy particularly stands out, he has just perceptiveness, sensitivity, and is so helpful that he engenders complete admiration. He is creative, thinks 3 steps ahead of the guest, comes up with solutions, and makes you wish to come back to this hotel. He sets a standard of excellence that many fancier properties could only dream to emulate. I would definitely come back to this property, and I have stayed at many highly rated Houston area hotels.

Springfield, MO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2011

I can't say enough about the entire staff at this Hilton. My business partner and I came in to watch the final four, and got an opportunity to witness what so many businesses are missing, customer service. From the shuttle driver to the GM of the property, it was as good of service
as I've ever had at any Ritz Carlton. The property is not the newest or the biggest, but what they lack in those areas they make up 10 fold with service. Egor, and his brother drive their shuttle van, what a great couple of guys. I would highly recommend anyone staying at this property.

• Stayed April 2011
GaryDB, General Manager at Hilton Houston Southwest, responded to this review, April 6, 2011
Thanks so much for recognizing our renewed culture and great people. They are difference makers and we do appreciate your visit.
Charlotte NC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2011

We ended up getting this hotel on a priceline bid for $57/nt. After reading the reviews, I wanted to cancel my reservation but that's not an option with priceline!

Well, like they say, expect the worst and you won't be disappointed. The hotel staff was accommodating, our room was clean and comfortable, the shower was really good and there was plenty of free parking. The first room they gave us on the 9th floor did have a funny smell (like an old smoking room), but we called and they quickly changed our room for us. We also had to ask to have the maid bring a few things they didn't restock, but the front desk was very friendly and the maid brought stuff quickly.

The location is certainly not ideal - right off the Southwest Freeway - but they can't change that. We would keep the AC fan "on" all the time we were in the room and that drowned out the sound of the traffic. If you're a really light sleeper, bring earplugs! We were fortunate not to have any security issues and we saw security driving around the parking lot all the time.

We didn't try the restaurant, but we did have a few drinks at the bar - reasonable prices and the bartenders were friendly. Also, they had free coffee in the lobby a few of the days and we also got some for free to-go from the restaurant - again, they were friendly about that too.

I will mention my "gripes" in case management does read all reviews - please get the elevators fixed! We sometimes had to wait 10 minutes for an elevator to come! It seemed like only one of them was working, and that's ridiculous for a 14 floor hotel! Also, there was free laundry (4 washers, 4 dryers)which is nice, but only 1 of each actually worked! Please put signs on the ones that don't work, we had to find out the hard way! Lastly, our room keys would stop working almost every day. The front desk people told us how finicky they were, but that was really annoying to get up to the room, only to have to go right back downstairs! None of these are major, but these annoyances can add up!

Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
GaryDB, General Manager at Hilton Houston Southwest, responded to this review, March 30, 2011
Thanks so much for your comments and yes we do read every one! Since your visit we have cleaned and reprogrammed every guest room lock in the house so that issue goes away. Our elevators are being completely refurbished in the very near future as part of an ongoing product improvement program. We appreciate the comments on our staff and we consistently hear about how accommodating and friendly the team is....we work every day on improving in every area of service and delivery.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2011

Nothing really special here. Room was quiet, which was nice since its so close to the highway. Skip the restaurant. Service was ok, but food was bland, boring & overpriced.

• Stayed March 2011

Been to Hilton Houston Southwest? Share your experiences!