“Our stay in Houston” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #97 of 451 hotels in Houston
A TripAdvisor Member
“Our stay in Houston”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

The hotel was conveniently located. The suites were very large, clean and the beds were very comfortable. The food was adequate. The only main concern was the problem with the air conditioning which may have been a temporary problem. It did not work properly. They did not have enough staff working for a busy holiday weekend and we had to take our own luggage upstairs with bad backs. In spite of these small problems, we did enjoy ourselves and we will return.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Britt U, General Manager at Hilton Houston Plaza/Medical Center, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. We use comments such as yours to evaluate each level of service we provide. I have shared your post with our staff and we will take the needed steps to correct the deficiencies. We look forward to your return stay.

240 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Austin, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Hilton hell I reserved a King Suite. I was given a double suite. I inquired about my sleep accommodations or lack there of... The staff responded my couch was a sleeper sofa and the beds were queen sized beds not doubles. Uh, no. I have a queen bed at home those are not queen beds. Two normal sized adults cannot comfortably sleep in a double bed. My son was also with us in Houston. the two double beds displaced him since the couches did not convert to beds as promised. I had to tell three people that over an hour span each one argued with me over I knew about bed sizes. We were in Houston because of a tragic turn of events. We have a 6 yr old in PICU at Hermann Memorial Hospital (boyfriend's son) after a near fatal car wreck. The first 3 days were the most critical and we needed to be close. Once the little man was out of the first 24 hour danger zone we decided to find a place for family to convene outside of the hospital since PICU had restrictive visiting policies. I decided the Hilton suite would help and is very close. We could have a living area for family to visit but also have a bed instead of a chair to rest in while taking turns going back and forth. Granted, the suite is nice, outdated, but nice. After inquiring about the room and small beds I finally get a response from the hotel staff t 11:40 PM - "we can move you to another double room with a sleeper sofa." So you want me to pack up and relocate when your suggestion doesn't fix the problem? I asked for a resolution at 8:00 PM not twenty minutes before midnight.I finally gave up and asked for extra blankets and pillows for my son to make due on the non-fold out couch... we finally received those almost an hour later. What suck's more is the hotel's response. They really didn't care at all about what my reservation confirmation said. they refused to look at the confirmation I printed and brought with me. They didn't care why I specifically requested that type of room. Their response was moving to another double room with a couch that may or may not have a sleeper sofa - they were pretty sure it did but couldn't be 100% about it. After losing the bed battle I asked for a 2 PM check-out. I decided we wouldn't stay beyond one night. I knew it was iffy when they said, "sure" but I was too tired to care. I asked if that included my parking through the late check-out at 2:00 PM and was once again assured, "yes, absolutely." Another hotel snafu: Around 10 PM I went downstairs looking for a soda or water. I was told which floors had machines but warned most of them were out of stock or only had sprite or diet drinks. I asked how I could get a couple bottles of water then. They went over to dining room and grabbed someone cleaning up. He resurfaced with the waters and a $7 charge - he included a room service fee. WTF? You didn't deliver it to my room. His response, "we're closed and this is an after hours request." Oh [--] you dude. I am not paying for room service when I came down for it keep it. So silly me. At 1:45 PM the next day I return from the hospital to officially checkout and move my car back to the hospital. Oh joke is on me. I cannot get out of the garage. I had already paid for self-parking during my stay and as part of the reservation but now the system wants $6 more. $6 isn't a lot but it's the principle. Once again I was lied to. I was told one thing and got a different result. I used to call box at the gate. The guy in the speaker box said, "well you stayed beyond normal check-out and this is standard." So I explained again the conversations I had about the 2 PM check-out. He said unfortunately, our parking system doesn't recognize that and I needed to pay $6 to get out. So I responded, "I have at least 6 cars behind me wanting to get out of this garage. I plan to sit here until you let me out. After the crap you put me through I am not giving you another penny." There was a long pause.............................................­........ finally he came back and asked me to reinsert my parking ticket and lookie there - the gate opened. I don't expect anyone to bend over backwards because our families were turned upside in a tragedy. I do expect to get what I pay for and I do expect honesty. This stay and the staff I encountered created more stress during an already stressful time. Had there been a Hyatt close by (walking distance) I would have never stayed at this hotel. However, I have stayed in many Hilton's in two countries for work related travel. This is by far the worst experience to date and I will avoid Hilton's in the future regardless of location.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

First let me say that I am sorry for the circumstances surrounding your visit.

It seems throughout the course of your stay, we missed several chances to truly listen to our customer. We use all comments as training opportunities for the managers as well as staff. Yours will make us a better property.

Thank you again for your comments and we hope for a complete and speedy recovery for your boyfriends son.
Birmingham, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

I was not super impressed with this hotel's common areas and hallways(hot), but our 2 room suite 1420 was big and modern except the bathroom in the bedroom was dated. The big windows were nice and the bed was very comfortable. The A/C was off and on, but overall kept the room cool. The sitting room was very nice.Good TVs. The fitness center was small but adequate. The pool deck was also dated, but a nice pool. Great location near med center and Rice Village. For the price a very good value. Staff seemed very friendly. Did not eat here. Would stay here again.

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

Excellent , very clean and friendly hotel staff! Bed was fantastic!!Close to medical center complex. A very comfortable stay....very clean and quiet....and they make a perfect egg white omelette. The bartender was knowlegeable and helpful and the service person who repaired my phone was nice. I will stay there on my next visit to Houston!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

san diego, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

When cab was asked to be booked, the staff accepted to do but it did not happen without any notice. The status of book was asked in front of desk, staff said he could not make it and reported the situation due to busy to take care of other arrival guest for checking in process. On the other hand, a new guest was assigned to the same room that has been occupied by a previous guest. There was no any contact from hotel site on the matter. When the guest stopped by and asked the situation, the hotel staff just light made an excuse saying a computer error.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Lake Jackson, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

The staff at this hotel is always wonderful. We stay here often and are always treated very well. The food is good and the service outstanding. They are always anxious to accommodate any request that are made.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

I've stayed here a number of times on personal visits to Houston. Every room is a suite and, I assume, about the same size. The suites are very generous in size. The rooms have all been clean and in good condition, though sometimes the air conditioning has worked a little too well. The hotel is a block from Rice University, which has great running trail around its perimeter. It's also close to Hermann Park, which has more great trails. And it's a block or two away from the Medical Center stop on the METRO Rail. I've never had a problem, but the last few times I stayed I had misgivings about parking in the garage.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Been to Hilton Houston Plaza/Medical Center? Share your experiences!