“Room not there when I arrived.” 1 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
HHonors Weekend
Ranked #126 of 456 Hotels in Houston
“Room not there when I arrived.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012 via mobile

They oversold. I arrived in the middle of the night, dead tired and waited 20 minutes before being transferred to another hotel 30 mins away. No offer of anything to make up for it. Do not stay at this hotel.

• Stayed November 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012 via mobile

Me and my family were up there for a friend in The Memorial Hermann Hospital. We stayed there for about a week. I personally liked the service but I thought the food was expensive. Also it was not very good.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Britt U, General Manager at Hilton Houston Plaza/Medical Center, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Thank you so much for your review, and we’re glad you enjoyed your stay. We are sorry you did not enjoy your food, and we always look to reviews for insight on improvements to our hotel. Again, thank you for your feedback.
Silver Spring, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

I've stayed here twice now, and the service is excellent. The last trip I left a sweater in my room and when I called to inquire, the staff found it and mailed it to me at no cost. On both visits my room has been very nice-- comfortable bed, and good view of the city. It's very convenient when flying into town to meet with researchers at the nearby universities and I will definitely stay here again. Had dinner and a beer in the bar after flying in late one night and it was good food and pleasant atmosphere. Had the breakfast buffet ($15) with my business colleagues and was quiet and just right for our morning discussions.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Oak Ridge, TN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

Since UT System is a client I visit the medical district often and I really like the location and layout of the rooms. Big suites and the ones that have been refurbished are even better. It's like a home away from home. While I never need the 1/2 bath at the entryway it's nice to have if there are meetings in the living room.

I've only eaten once for breakfast in the hotel and it wasn't good at all so I've avoided it for all future trips. I'm not sure it's fair to judge a restaurant on one experience but I've stayed away since then.

I typically will walk to Main Street or Fannin and grab dinner or coffee.

I (and co-workers) continue to visit and plan to as long as rooms are available.

Room Tip: Always ask for a "complimentary upgrade". You never know what you're going to get. I...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

We stayed here for a friends birthday weekend. Check in was fast, but uneventful. The staff wasn't exactly friendly nor mean. Just not what you expect when checking in. The service was real slow. We had to call more than once for them to bring towels to the room & when they got there they didnt bring wash cloths. So they had to come back, which took another 5 mins after the 30 mins it took for them to even show up. There wasn't anything special about the hotel. The hallways were hot, It was an overall strange hotel. Other than the slow service everything was just okay. Being a Hilton, I definitely expected more.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Britt U, General Manager at Hilton Houston Plaza/Medical Center, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Thank you for your review of your past stay with us. I always appreciate hearing from our guests – including places of improvement. I apologize that the comfort of your stay was interrupted and I have taken your comments to our team to ensure that in the future we do a better job of being more attentive to our guest’s needs. The next time you have the opportunity to travel to the area. I do hope that you will be our guest again – thank you for your review.
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

Very nice location for both Texas Med Center and Rice Univ. The value is definitely very good too based on the very spacious 2 room suite. Parking is additional but is pretty inexpensive and you have in and out privileges which I haven't had at other nearby hotels. The only downside is that the property is a little dated and could probably use some updating. But I will definitely stay here again on future visits.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

I may be a bit picky but I do have a set standard when staying at a Hilton. This property is definitely below par when compared to most others and I have been a gold/diamond member for the past 12 years.

The hallway/room has a strange odor, like from an old establishment. I believe my floor is non-smoking (not sure about the entire hotel) but i can definitely pick-up the scent of the smoke; kind of smells like its been baked into the walls.

The suites are quite large, with a living room, bar, mini-fridge, and 1.5 baths. However, the shower/tub is worn, in need of renovation. I'm not sure if there are renovated rooms in the hotel, but as a Diamond member, i should have been given a room upgrade if available. At least the furniture is new.

The best thing about the hotel is its proximity to the Medical Center.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your review of the issue with your guest room. I often times utilize guest reviews to assess insights within our hotel operations and I have reviewed your feedback with the hotel team and we are now actively taking steps to freshen our guest rooms. We’re sorry if we did not meet your expectations of a Hilton. I appreciate your time in reviewing our hotel and look forward to seeing you during your next visit to the area.

Been to Hilton Houston Plaza/Medical Center? Share your experiences!