“We will be back!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #94 of 452 Hotels in Houston
Louisiana
“We will be back!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2009

Great experience! I have two children and wanted an indoor pool because of the cool weather. Since no pictures of the pool were posted, I was a little uneasy about it. I didn't need to worry- the indoor pool/ hot tub were large and clean and my kids and I really enjoyed it. The room was very clean, sound proof (couldn't hear the traffic, people in the hall, etc.), and the bed was comfortable. The metro stopped right outside of hotel stopped right outside of Hermann Memorial Hospital (where we needed to go) so we didn't have to fight traffic or pay additional parking. For only $2 each we could ride it for 24 hrs. Staff was helpful and friendly. We plan to return within two weeks.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Maryville, TN, US
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2009

I stayed two nights here and was struck by the extreme courtesy and efficiency of all of the staff. Admittedly I booked through a travel agency and received a room with no view and outside construction work continued until 9 pm, but was paying half the rack rate. Everywhere was spotless and the staff clean, polite and attentive. The food was good but more in the JW Marriott price range than simple Marriott. I would stay here again but consider eating out.

• Liked — Staff friendliness
  • Disliked — Outside construction noise until 9 pm
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled solo
Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2008

Stayed for two nights in order to visit Rice University. The Hotel shuttle service took us to Rice and back numerous times with less than five minutes notice...tipping the drivers didn't cost me anymore than paying for parking at Rice would have. The Shuttle service was extremely busy in this location but always courteous.
I wish I had not rented a car at all since this hotel is so incredibly convenient to the 15 Hospitals, Rice University and to the Museum district. Taking an airport shuttle service to this Marriott would have been cheaper than renting the car which we never moved and which cost me 22 bucks a day for valet parking. There is a super streetcar service in front of this Marriott which has a quick and direct route to park, zoo and top museums, as well as stops for the hospitals and Rice.
Great comfy beds. Rice Village is also very walkable and the area feels safe. There is a Chipotle very close to this Marriott. We used room service twice and both times had good service. The hotel buffet is exceptionally attractive for breakfast as well. This hotel feels less jumbo/corporate/cold than other downtown Marriotts tend to feel. Always many people in medical clothing walking through the lobbies and a more intimate Marriott than most.
Nice front desk staff. Wireless was costly.... a negative for this busy hotel. Not only it is close to ten bucks a day to go online in the room..you must also pay to use the lobby's wifi wireless, which I thought was pretty annoying. The lobby service can be purchased however at a lesser hourly rate via your laptop. They do provide a three computer "free" business center at no charge on floor six but it is closed at 11pm, and no one could make the printer operate when I was there....it was set up where you had to turn over each page in some convoluted way to do backside printing on each page....
They are supposedly rewiring for better WiFi lobby service for laptops.

• Liked — Location to Hospitals, Museums and Rice University, courteous fast Shuttle service
  • Disliked — wireless is costly
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2008

I stayed at the Marriott Medical Center during a very worrisome surgery performed on my father. For this reason, location was paramount, price secondary. On that score this hotel is an A-plus. Houston in August is very hot, but I was able to use the walkways to get to MD Anderson for his cancer surgery and my many return visits. That was priceless. So location is the big draw at this high-rise, older Marriott. Walking distance to Methodist, Texas Children's, MD Anderson

The staff was friendly (I'd rate it above average), and many areas of the hotel (lobby, etc.) are nicely renovated. Again, I think the main audience for this hotel is someone staying while visiting a sick relative, and to that extent, the hotel delivers.

I also liked my wired internet connection. The health center was a B; it gets crowded later in the morning. I always wish the chains would devote more space to exercise facility -- this one has about three treadmills -- I'd double that if I was manager for a day.

The downsides: 1) wake-up calls used that automated voice system when you are dialed, but they were routinely 20 minutes late. Very odd and unusual; Marriott -- reset the computer-dialer! By day 3, I started taking room service to act as a backup wakeup call.

2) Thin walls. One night was the Democratic national convention. Guest next door might have been hard of hearing, but his TV bled right through the walls. Bring ear protection.

3) Towels. You must ask for more towels at this property. You are only dealt two towels; the housekeeping folks were good about this.

Final tip: You can save money in a multi-day stay by parking overnight at one of the hospitals. MD Anderson's garage is $12/day. I think Marriott is something like $27.95 valet parking overnight. Again, you just have to be willing to walk -- but that is the virtue of this hotel. Valet parking is essential at the hotel.

• Liked — Location next to the world's best hospitals
  • Disliked — Thin walls, botched wake-up computer calls
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Denver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2008

Sure, it is "just" another Marriott. I spend way too much time in Marriotts!

But, they try a little harder here. They have recently finished renovating their lobby and it looks very open and modern. There is now a Starbucks to one side. There are nice touches like aromatic lotions, and water containing fruits by the elevator. They have been kind about providing access to the concierge level (I am a silver member and this is not an expected part of my Marriott privileges.) They have a fairly nice workout room. Chocolates are provided with turndown service.

Overall, a very pleasant stay in the Medical Center area.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2008

First thing is that this Marriott is confused with another that has "Residence Inn" in its title. One of the pictures at this site shows the hotel with a large reflecting pond near it. This is not that one. This hotel is surrounded by hospitals and is opposite the tram.

I stayed two nights for a consult at MD Anderson. My friend from Dallas had stayed there before and had a good experience so she booked it for us. '

All the people who worked there were extremely polite and friendly. When we asked for real cream for our room coffee, it appeared at our door within 2 minutes. Same for a hair dryer. There is a Starbucks in the hotel lobby and then another just outside the hotel that has better baked goods.

The hotel lobby has potpourri all over the place so it smells relaxing and refreshing. Every afternoon they make this fresh fruit punch over ice and leave it out for guests. It's marvelous.

If you come by car, leave the car in the garage and use their free shuttle service. The shuttle will take you to "the Village" where there is every kind of restaurant and good shopping. It makes for a nice gettaway from the hospital scene.

The beds were yummy and the rooms quiet. I didn't hear my neighbor's TV blaring, phone conversations or bathroom sounds like I often do in other hotels.

Highly recommended. When you come from out-of-state for a serious medical consult, the last thing you need are rude hotel staff or hassles. The Marriot Medical Center understand this.

• Liked — clean rooms, yummy beds, kind staff
  • Disliked — they charged for internet use
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
Madison, WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2008

I stayed here in June 2008 while on business with Texas Children's Hospital. The location is supremely convenient to the Medical Center - I only had to walk a block to get to TCH - and a tram line passes directly in front of the hotel.

The lobby of the hotel is surprisingly spartan and clinical looking, which made me a bit nervous at first, but the floors and my room were both great. The bed was very comfortable, the AC worked great, room service and operator were friendly and prompt. Prices were on par with other Marriotts I've stayed at over the years.

The only real issue I had with the room (pretty minor) was that internet was available via ethernet cable at the desk -- wireless would have been preferable so I could sit anywhere in my room while working on my laptop. In general, though, this was a pretty minor issue.

Note that the hotel is quite far from GHW Bush Airport, so if you're flying in, expect the cab ride to cost on the order of $55-60.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Houston Marriott Medical Center? Share your experiences!