“Convenient to zoo and shopping” 3 of 5 stars

FREE Wi-Fi
Ranked #89 of 468 Hotels in Houston
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Austin, TX
“Convenient to zoo and shopping”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2011

Our family of four spent one night here. We chose this hotel because of its close proximity to the Houston Zoo and reasonable price. We also planned to do some shopping in the Galleria area but we had heard that traffic gets pretty congested there making it difficult to come and go. Overall we were pleased with our experience. The rooms were clean and comfortable and the customer service was good. Self-park was a little inconvenient--you had to park at the adjacent Scurlock Building parking lot--but it was a cheap ($5.00 overnight) alternative to valet parking. There's no free wi-fi in the rooms--only in the lobby area.

Our daughters had planned on swimming in the hotel pool, but decided not to. The surface looked "scummy" and had hair and other stuff floating on it. I think maybe the filter wasn't working. I planned on heading to the Starbucks in the hotel lobby on Sunday morning to get some work done and to let the kids sleep in a little; however, it was closed. But there was a Starbucks in the next block.

I think it was a good hotel for the price and proximity to what we wanted to do. I would probably stay here again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
RickSmith001, General Manager at Houston Marriott Medical Center, responded to this review, September 2, 2011
Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us and for sharing your thoughts. I’m so sorry that the pool was not up to your expectations while you stayed with us. The pool filter has been repaired and I’m confident that the next time you stay with us your kids will have a fun filled time in the pool! Thanks again, Rick Smith, General Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2011

I stayed at this hotel for 12 nights because a family member was receiving medical treatment across the street at Methodist Hospital on Fannin Street. I also stayed there on another occasion for 2 nights. The hotel is clean and nicely decorated. Staff is friendly and always helpful. When you need to get to Methodist Hospital you can use the crosswalk - very convenient. The hotel has a Starbucks, small stopre and a restaurant - Driscols and it has very good food. There is also a lounge, but I didn't visit the lounge. There is also a deli, pharmacy, florist and a hair salon next door in Scurlock Tower. The hotel has valet parking or you may park in the parking garage next door. There is a business center on the 6th floor with computers and desks. The only thing i was not pleased with at this Marriott location is the air conditioning. The central air/heat seems to not cool as it should. You have to put the unit on 59 or 60 degress to keep the room comfortable. Management is aware of the problem, so If you ask for another room, they will accomodate you. That's good, but it would be a problem if the hotel was booked and you had to stay in a room that was not cool. Hotel is great in every other way.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Thanks so much for your review. I’m happy that our Hotel was able to make your extended stay a little easier for you. I’m very sorry the air conditioning was not cooling in your room properly. Our experienced engineering staff is eager to resolve any problems as they arise. Thank you so much for choosing our Hotel! Rick Smith, General Manager.
mobile
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2011

very convient to the medical park. The bathrooms are small and the beds are not as comfortable as usual. The staff was extremely nice and helpful. Free shuttle service within two miles is a big help

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
New York, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

I had just arrived in Houston after a miserable trip - I was supposed to check-in the night before, but got held up in another city because of flight delays. The staff here were wonderful, they didn't charge me for the first missed night and gave me free internet to make up for my bad trip. The room was really comfortable, nice bed and pillows. I liked that there was a Starbucks actually in the hotel and the breakfast was pricey but nice. All in all, a great place to stay for a business trip.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
I’m so sorry you had to arrive to Houston in such a bad way but I thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. I’m so pleased to know when our staff goes above and beyond to make someone’s trip a little brighter! We look forward to your next visit! Rick Smith, General Manager.
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2011

We stayed here two nights to help our daughter get settled into her nearby college room. We had a check-in snafu in that we'd booked on-line but hadn't received a confirmation no., so we were only "partially" booked. This led to a later problem where we got a bill under our door after one night, which we had to then explain to the front desk that we'd booked for two nights. Thought all would be OK, except when we returned the 2nd day, our room entry cards didn't work, so we had to get their function restored.

Great room, although the king size mattress was oddly soft and floppy. Water was slow to warm for the shower, but Houston is so hot it didn't seem to matter. We paid extra to get "valet" parking service letting us use our car whenever needed, which for us was a good choice, since we were exploring Houston and the local gulf region with our daughter for the first time.

We used the Fitness Center, and the secret 6th floor Business Room, which your room key card can open. Here you have access to a computer with internet access, as well as a fax machine and a printer. Not sure why this is kept secret; they tell you at the front desk if you ask about it. We never got to the pool or spa. Wide screen TV only gets about a dozen analog stations for free, nothing in HD. A little disappointing. We didn't check any of the Pay per View options.

The highest three floors are "Concierge" floors, which provide breakfast and other "complimentary" food but these Concierge Rooms cost extra, so for us not having this worked out OK since we dined out at some pretty nice Houston area restaurants.

Room, bathroom were clean and tidy.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Downey, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2011

I had first called the Rotary House at MD Anderson and since they were booked up, they referred me to this hotel. I was in Houston for medical treatment so I was dressed casually , so maybe that is why anytime I was in the lobby area, I would be asked what I needed in a suspicious manner as if I didn't seem to belong there. Same attitude when waiting outside for the shuttle to the hospital. Then when I went into the lounge or restaurant, I was ignored until I protested and would finally be seated at a small area away from the "real guests".
Since I was paying the same price as other guests, why was I treated in such a shabby manner which reminds me of traveling alone back in the 70's and 80's.

I won't stay there again unless there is no other choice.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
Glenmora, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2011

We where staying at the Marriott on Fannin because of the Medical Center across the street and I am so glad we did. They treated us like we where family not just like people checking in and out of a Hotel they where there for our needs and our needs at that time was a smile and a kind word and it was just what we needed when we came back from a long day at the hospital.

Room Tip: Made you feel like you where special