“Convenience at a price” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Marriott Houston Airport at George Bush Intercontinental

Save Saved
You added Marriott Houston Airport at George Bush Intercontinental to your Saves list
Marriott Houston Airport at George Bush Intercontinental
Ranked #163 of 451 hotels in Houston
North Vancouver, Canada
“Convenience at a price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

We stayed here twice, on our way to, and back from, Central America. Everyone who reviews this hotel mentions how convenient it is. And it certainly is. The Inter-Terminal train gets you from your terminal to the hotel, and vice versa, in no time at all. If you have to overnight at IAH, it saves a lot of time -- no waiting for a shuttle bus, no travel off the airport.
Another plus -- we didn't meet a single employee here who wasn't friendly.
But the convenience of this property comes at a price. At over $200 per night, our rooms both times were microscopic; I don't mind a small room -- it's what you get at many airport hotels -- but the bathrooms are impossibly tiny. The door swings within an inch of the toilet, so you'd better not open the door if your spouse is sitting there; if the door is open, you can't get from the sink to the shower, because your path is blocked by the door and the toilet.
The first night, the shower valve didn't control the temperature -- the choices were scalding or even more scalding. When I called, I was told the hotel was full and they couldn't move us. They offered us a free breakfast, but our rate already included breakfast. When I said we'd be back in a week and maybe they could give us a larger room, the front desk said "we'll take care of you". So, a week later, there we were again.
The room they gave us was exactly the same as the previous one, same size and layout. The valve in the shower worked, but you couldn't open or close the door easily, because the floor of the bathroom was swollen.
But the worst experience of all was that during the night, I was ravaged by bed bugs. The uncovered parts of my legs and arms are still, 5 days later, covered with welts that itch like crazy. I'm on antihistamines and creams and lotions, and recovering, but when I reported this to the hotel, instead of saying "we'll immediately comp you..." the response was "why don't we put 10,000 Marriott points in your account". (The duty manager again said "even if you had called we couldn't have moved you, we're full...")
So the expense of medications is out of my own pocket, as was the infested hotel room.
I love the Marriott chain, and have written reviews in great praise of those properties where Marriott and the local manager have done it right; this property takes advantage of their proximity to the airport to treat customers indifferently.
On a more positive note -- the restaurant is great. We had two really nice breakfasts, served with cheer and courtesy by a terrific staff.
Finally, to reflect on what others have said -- the Heating/Air Conditioning system is impossible to control; it's either too cold or too hot, or it shuts off and requires resetting in the middle of the night.

Room Tip: All rooms seem to be the same; they all have good soundproofing.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

477 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

Of course since its on the airport property it was very convenient for my flight the next morning. I was concerned about being noisy but it wasn't at all. The hotel could be difficult to find your way away being thats its a circular hotel and could get turned around easy but just follow the signs and you will find your way. The greatest part about this hotel is the free laundry downstairs near the restaurant, it was very nice to be able to wash all my clothes from my travels before heading home. The parking is a little far from the hotel and that would be its only negative. The train that runs from the airport to the hotel ran every 5 minutes or so and very convenient to get to the airport the next morning.

tahoe
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

Very pricey for what you get other than convenience of the airport. It was NOT noisy as I was worried about the noise level and everything was decent. Our room looked out on the pool in a courtyard. We only spent a total of 6 hours in the hotel (sleeping time). The beds were decent. The bathroom a bit old with a weird door. I was hoping they had some early morning eating options (like a breakfast bag to gO) but they did not offer anything like that.

Room Tip: Make sure you get on the right underground shuttle from the airport to the hotel. One of the shuttl...
Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Draper, UT
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

I didn't have a good night's sleep because I would wake in the middle of the night overheating because the AC shut off. Then it would turn back on, so maybe it was one of those that uses a motion sensor or something to turn it off if you're not active. Regardless, when I set the temp in the room I want it to maintain that temp, whether I am asleep or not. Perhaps I am fussy, but I don't like waking up all sweaty because the room has warmed up beyond the setting I preferred. Anyway, other than that, the hotel is fine. easy access from the airport, the restuarant (the flight deck) is nice for having a few beers and a good ribeye, so no ciomplaints about the food not the staff - they are excellent. I just hate the AC turning off, that's all.

Colorado Springs, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Stayed at this hotel December 2012 for a pre cruise night. Friendly staff, great buffet breakfast and nice appetizers in the non revolving restaurant. We were told there was a shuttle from the airport to the mall, but it only leaves a few times. Took a cab and was over $20.00 due to the traffice. Comfortable and clean, but be aware there is nothing to walk to as it really is in the middle of the airport. Nice gift shops. I would stay again! Not sure I would pay the rack rate, but used Marriott points.

Room Tip: Stay in the north tower.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I spent just one night here on business, and found it to be a decent airport hotel, but in desperate need of renovation. I did notice they were installing new carpet in the hallways, so they are possibly starting the project. At first it is sort of confusing to find your way around with hallways going off in all directions. The rooms are clean, beds are comfortable, and the staff is excellent. If you are flying in and out, it is an excellent hotel being right by the terminals. They also seem to have plenty of conference space as well. I did try the restaurant upstairs which was pretty good with excellent personnel. It has a great view of the runways if you enjoy watching the aircraft. I had en evening snack in the Concierge Lounge, and the dessert were very good, and the young lady working there was wonderful. I also ate breakfast in the Concierge Lounge, and found their breakfast selection to be one of the best with eggs, bacon, sausage, fruits, cereal, sweet rolls, juices, and plenty to choose from. The only thing that kept me from giving it an excellent rating was the fact it was in desperate need of renovation. I would recommend this Marriott.

Houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

On a recent extended trip to Central America, we decided to use our Marriott reward points to stay at the hotel the night before our early flight. We were given a king room overlooking the airport runway in the newer section of the hotel. The room was large & very clean with a good sized bath. The hotel is connected to the airport terminals by an underground tram which was convenient since we had to visit the airlines reservation counter the night before our flight. We had a nice dinner in the hotel bar/lounge. The fish & chips was surprisingly good; lightly breaded fish was flavorful & the portion would have been enough to split. Back in our room, it was interesting to watch the takeoffs & landings of the planes. We had an extremely early flight the next morning, so requested bellman service the night before; he was prompt & very helpful. He took us to our terminal by car shuttle (about 3 minutes) instead of having us use the tram ( we had considerable luggage) which made it a lot easier. Staff was very helpful & friendly & made a perfect start to our vacation.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Marriott Houston Airport at George Bush Intercontinental? Share your experiences!