“Not Bad, But Needs Updating” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Marriott Houston Airport at George Bush Intercontinental

Save Saved
You added Marriott Houston Airport at George Bush Intercontinental to your Saves list
Marriott Houston Airport at George Bush Intercontinental
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   18700 John F. Kennedy Boulevard, Houston, TX 77032   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Up To 25,000 Points
Ranked #167 of 451 Hotels in Houston
Dallas, Texas
“Not Bad, But Needs Updating”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I spent just one night here on business, and found it to be a decent airport hotel, but in desperate need of renovation. I did notice they were installing new carpet in the hallways, so they are possibly starting the project. At first it is sort of confusing to find your way around with hallways going off in all directions. The rooms are clean, beds are comfortable, and the staff is excellent. If you are flying in and out, it is an excellent hotel being right by the terminals. They also seem to have plenty of conference space as well. I did try the restaurant upstairs which was pretty good with excellent personnel. It has a great view of the runways if you enjoy watching the aircraft. I had en evening snack in the Concierge Lounge, and the dessert were very good, and the young lady working there was wonderful. I also ate breakfast in the Concierge Lounge, and found their breakfast selection to be one of the best with eggs, bacon, sausage, fruits, cereal, sweet rolls, juices, and plenty to choose from. The only thing that kept me from giving it an excellent rating was the fact it was in desperate need of renovation. I would recommend this Marriott.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

On a recent extended trip to Central America, we decided to use our Marriott reward points to stay at the hotel the night before our early flight. We were given a king room overlooking the airport runway in the newer section of the hotel. The room was large & very clean with a good sized bath. The hotel is connected to the airport terminals by an underground tram which was convenient since we had to visit the airlines reservation counter the night before our flight. We had a nice dinner in the hotel bar/lounge. The fish & chips was surprisingly good; lightly breaded fish was flavorful & the portion would have been enough to split. Back in our room, it was interesting to watch the takeoffs & landings of the planes. We had an extremely early flight the next morning, so requested bellman service the night before; he was prompt & very helpful. He took us to our terminal by car shuttle (about 3 minutes) instead of having us use the tram ( we had considerable luggage) which made it a lot easier. Staff was very helpful & friendly & made a perfect start to our vacation.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Ashburn, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

We had to overnight in the IAH area and opted to stay here to save ourselves the travel time to/from another hotel. From the airport you ride a train (very reminiscent of the TTA ride at the Magic Kingdom!). Service is every three minutes and takes only a few minutes to get to the hotel. When departing the terminal just follow the signs for the subway/hotel. Once at the hotel stop you take the elevator up to the lobby level for check-in. I was in the Elite Member check-in line, and of course the other line went faster! Once I got to the front desk, check-in went quickly. Since I'm Platinum Premier with Marriott I was given a room on the concierge floor (second floor) and was told that the lounge was open until 2200.

The hotel is circular, so once you get off the elevator on your floor you have to look for the signs to figure out which "spoke" to take to get to your room, especially if you're not told which tower you are in. Our room was a nice size and there was the standard coffee maker with supplies, mini-fridge, a complimentary small bottle of water, and flat screen tv. I had requested extra feather pillows and they were on the bed, along with a nice note from the manager. The bathroom was quite small and there was no way that the two of us could use the sink/vanity at the same time. The bathroom was well stocked with amenities. I was pleasantly surprised at how quiet the room was since the hotel is on IAH grounds. I did not hear a single airplane and slept quite well. While the room was fine, the bathroom and halls looked like they could use a little updating.

I had access to the concierge lounge, so I followed the signs to the lounge, but it seemed like I walked halfway around the hotel to get there! The lounge was a little smaller than I expected and there were dirty dishes on some of the tables. The dishes appeared to have been there for quite some time. Dessert was being served and these dishes had snacks from the earlier offering. There wasn't much left of dessert, and I was there by 2100. I did not see an attendant in the lounge. There were fridges with cold water and soft drinks. There was an assortment of teas and coffee available. We left the next morning before the lounge opened for breakfast.

We went down to the lobby to check-out a bit before 0600, but there was only one person working at the desk. I waited a minute or two, and there was no movement with the line. Since I received my bill under the door and all was ok I decided to just leave the keys and go to the terminal.

If you are flying out of IAH after staying here, be sure to check which terminal your flight is leaving from so you will know in advance which stop to get off at.

If we have to overnight at IAH again we would stay here, just for the convenience of not having to ride a shuttle bus.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

this is a great place to stay if you're jumping from here to a cruise. We stayed here overnight before getting picked up for a disney cruise sailing out of Galveston.

tip: if you are going on a cruise - Disney picks up from the terminal and from the Marriott. you can specify when you're booking or switch when you're already there.

Rooms are clean and well appointed. facilities are a little old, but well maintained.

toughest part for us was things to eat. Houston airport has some great terminals with food in them, but we made the mistake of thinking this was accessible to us. All the shops and resto's are behind security so you really can't access them at all.

Outside of that, the Marriott has its own restaurant which is pretty decent, and also a very decent tuck shop that carries a ton of stuff. Above average for families I would say.

if you don't have a car, that's the extent of your food options. Not really good for families. The hotel provides a shuttle to the nearby mall to expand your eating options, but be ware that walking from the mall to the rest of the surrounding restaurants is almost dangerous with young children. A cab will cost you $20 to and from the hotel to the mall.

This hotel would be a 4 even with the food limitations but I had to pay for internet. Who does that anymore??

Room Tip: free shuttle provided to the local mall, Disney Cruiselines picks up from this airport and has a des...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

This hotel is super convenient to the airport and the staff was very helpful. The hotel itself is nice, clean and surprisingly quiet. I expected to hear noise from the airport but was pleasantly surprised.

The rooms were standard, nothing too fancy but certainly nothing to complain about. I did find the water pressure to be a little low but that's not something that would cause me to give a bad review.

From reading other reviews I would stay my experience was on par with everyone else's. I can't comment on any of the restaurant or food options as I didn't have a meal there. If I needed to overnight in Houston again for a flight, I certainly wouldn't hesitate to stay here and would recommend it to a friend.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Extremely convenient location attached to the terminal, which is this hotel's primary selling point - I was in bed 30 minutes after deplaning. Friendly service, especially at Allie's restaurant for breakfast. Common area facilities are depressingly dated and dark, however - could use a renovation / brightening up.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

The Marriott Houston (IAH) offers one of the best locations if you are flying out early or miss a flight and don't want to wander far for a hotel. It has both casual (Flight Lounge) and upscale (CK's) restaurant options, but if you want to avoid the 15% gratuity and delivery charge, just order it to go as we did. The hotel is only 3 floors so it doesn't take long to get your food.

A few negatives of this location....
- The ceilings of the hallways between where the elevators and rooms are is only 6'5" in height so taller people should be aware.
- There are no usable stairs from the lobby to the rooms or the restaurant level. So if you are afraid of elevators you may struggle getting to your room after checking in.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Marriott Houston Airport at George Bush Intercontinental? Share your experiences!