“Not 3 star hotel, but it was clean and the staff was very accommodating” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Houston River Oaks

Save 10-30%
Ranked #36 of 468 Hotels in Houston
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Dallas, Texas
“Not 3 star hotel, but it was clean and the staff was very accommodating”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2010

I had an appointment at MD Anderson and needed a hotel that was convenient, clean, and comfortable, and the Crowne Plaza offered the best rate and all of the above. I called ahead and asked if it was possible to check-in early and the front desk told me they would do their best. When I arrived at the hotel, my room was ready! Since some of the reviewers complained about the noise from the freeway, I asked for a room away from all the noise. The front desk quickly switched me to another room. After 4 hours of driving, and a day of testing at the hospital ahead of me, I really wanted to be comfortable, and wanted to get a good nights rest.

What I liked, very nice staff, it was clean, and the bed was comfortable, good water pressure and plenty of hot water.. What I didn't like, whenever anyone left their room, the doors slammed loudly. I was sound asleep, and jumped off the bed because I thought someone was breaking into my room. The walls are a bit thin and you can sometimes hear guests in other rooms. Although the room had been updated, the paint job wasn't great and it was chipping off the door frames, the carpet was stained in some areas and they could have used a good cleaning (not sure how often hotels do this). The buffet was expensive! I paid about $14 because coffee was not included in the price. I know they usually charge for orange juice, but charging for coffee?? When I arrived at the restaurant for breakfast, there was no host/hostess, not a server in sight, and no one could find the cook. Took a while to order an omelet. Parking should be free. Because the hotel is right off the highway, you cannot walk to a restaurant, you either have to drive or take the shuttle, which is free. I would have ordered room service, but I really didn't want to pay $18 for a hamburger after they tacked tax, tip and all the other fees the hotels like to add.

I would stay here again if I was unable to find a similar rate at a truly 3 or 4 star hotel. Would recommend but if you are extremely picky, you probably won't be happy with anything.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
dhollier, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Houston River Oaks, responded to this review, July 1, 2010
Thank you for your review. It is only through feedback such as yours that we can work to make improvements at my hotel. I hope that when your travels bring you back to Houston that you will stay with us again.

Sid Siddiqi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2010

I was very disappointed with the cleaniness of the hotel. The lobby and it's facilities were nice, but after a long drive, you don't want to come to a hotel to find blood or red stains on the sheets. The night desk manager was very pleasant and moved me to a different room twice for it was the same issue in two different rooms. Finally, the third room was decent. If it weren't for the housekeeping, I would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
dhollier, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Houston River Oaks, responded to this review, June 30, 2010
Hello,

Thank you for your review. I hope that the resolution that we discussed is appropriate and that you will return to stay again. I have discussed items with my Director of Housekeeping and can assure you that measures are in place to prevent this from happening in the future.

Thanks again and best regards,
713-577-1259
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2010

I stayed here on business in April, 2010. The hotel's service was very good; check-in and room service delivery were polite and efficient. Unlike at many properties in this chain, this hotel recognized my elite Priority Club status at check-in and provided the associated benefits; in this regard, it was a high performer.

Parking was odd. I wanted to valet park my car. I pulled it up to the valet stand upon arrival and sat in the car for about 4 minutes. No valet ever arrived. So, I went into the self-parking garage. That garage needs work -- musty and dark. The elevator you take from the garage to the hotel gives an awful first impression.

The lobby of the hotel was, thankfully, a lot more inviting than the parking garage. Renovations are in progress throughout the hotel, and the renovations appear to be adding a modern touch, which was needed. The hallway to my room needed some work; I couldn't tell if it was in the midst of renovations or just poorly finished. There were several room service trays lining the hallways.

My room was fine. I was put into a two-room suite; the upgrade was appreciated. Temperature control was an issue -- the living room was cool. I then opened the door to the bedroom and it was a SAUNA -- probably 90 degrees; I think that the housekeeper had closed the door and either the AC didn't reach into the bedroom. The temperature in the bedroom never really resolved itself, and that made for a toss-and-turn kind of night. Absent this, I thought the room was fine -- tasteful decor, clean, etc.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
dhollier, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Houston River Oaks, responded to this review, June 3, 2010
Hello and thank you for your comments. We were indeed completing a renovation of all of our guest room corridors. I apologize for any inconvenience that that may have caused you during your stay with us. We are completed now and I hope that you will return when you come back to Houston and see how nice the new corridors are! Thanks again for your input and hope to see you here again.

713-577-1259
TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2010

The rooms are spacious. Parking is $8 but internet is free. Was clean and comfortable for what we paid on priceline. Check-in was slow.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
dhollier, Director of Sales & Marketing at Crowne Plaza Houston River Oaks, responded to this review, April 23, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review. It is through feedback from our guests that we are able to improve our services. I apologize that your check in was slow. We had a large group that checked in this week and you may have arrived during their check in. I hope that you will stay with us again when your travels bring you back to Houston.

Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2010

Overall, this hotel is on par with most Hilton, Ramada etc. of the same class. It's a very solid 3 star hotel.
The front desk staff were friendly and courteous, the rooms were clean and well furnished, the beds were fine, and I really had no complains. The pluses not always found in other hotels of this type is that my room came with a fridge and microwave which was very nice. The Wi-FI in the room was FREE and the signal was actually pretty good.
One minor demerit is that the carpet in the hallway and hobby is obviously in need of update. The style isn't old but it was visibly worn. Also for many hotels outside of downtown, parking is usually free, but it was not the case at this hotel. Self-park is $8/night. The computer system for some reason mistaken that I valet parked and it was a good thing I stopped by the front desk to check out and found out. The staff quickly corrected and apologized.
The hotel is conveniently located off 59 and close to downtown, shopping etc. I wouldn't mind staying here again.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Thank you for your review! Feedback from our guests is how we know what we need to do to improve and also give your comments back to employees who are making the difference. I hope that you will be our guest again when your travels bring you to Houston.

houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2010

We were in Houston for our wedding anniversary weekend. Booked the hotel through Hotwire, got a SUPER great rate. Was leary after reading some reviews here. But have to say our stay was VERY good. Room was super, clean, beds were comfortable, granite countertops throughout. Lobby facility was beautiful, all 4 elevators were functioning and were brightly lit and very nice. (We didn't use the fitness center, pool/spa, or restaurant.) Parking, $8/day, was easy in and out, well lit. Location of this hotel is great. NOTE--at check-in, we requested a room away from the freeway and they accommodated us. I'd be leery of having a room that fronts I-59 for traffic noise. Overall, a great stay. (We were on 4th floor, no smells, not musty. No construction that I could see. Several wedding parties going on, but no problem.)

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
dhollier, Director of Sales & Marketing at Crowne Plaza Houston River Oaks, responded to this review, April 13, 2010
Hello and thanks! It is always nice to hear from our guests that we succeeded in providing a great stay at our hotel. Also, it is great that you took the time to say so on Trip Advisor. I hope that you will be back to see us again.

Abingdon, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2010

I must start by saying that I was in Houston at this hotel during the Rodeo. Wow was that an experience! But to the point, The Staff was amazing! The two ladies from the sales staff made my stay well worth the stay. There were several issue that arose due to how reservations were originally made. These issue were addressed prior to my arrival and were sustained throughout my stay.
But I must admit the actual facility itself is less than noteworthy. The elevators are noisy and slow. The building is being repainted but the structure is falling apart. The elevator for the parking garage is actually separating from the concrete walls. It looks like there have been many efforts to improve the hotel's appearance.
There was one occasion where my room had been cleaned but there were NO towels at all in the room. I mean that kinda of stuff is the basics. If you can't get the basics right from the start than I will usually not revisit the hotel again. Being as I travel 50-75% of the time I can say this with conviction and certainty.
All in all my 11 night stay in Houston was a good one. Mostly in part due to Debbie Hollier and Angie Techmanski. I will actually be returning there later this month to conduct some business and I will be staying at the Crowne. I want to experience the Houston Crowne experience without all the "Rodeo" traffic.
Ladies, Thank you !

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
dhollier, Director of Sales & Marketing at Crowne Plaza Houston River Oaks, responded to this review, April 12, 2010
Thank you for your review! Your comments are valuable and we can certainly use your feedback to help make things better. Our goal is for all guests to have a great night's sleep and to enjoy our hotel services. Do feel free to call me anytime that I can assist you in working with my hotel.

Thanks again and best regards,
Director of Sales & Marketing

Been to Crowne Plaza Houston River Oaks? Share your experiences!