“Exceeded our expectations” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Brooklyn, NY
“Exceeded our expectations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2010

After reading the mixed reviews for this hotel, we were a bit apprehensive, but we had a good stay here at a difficult time for our family. We were in Houston because of a close relative's death, and we wanted a quiet room and ample work space because we had to handle funeral arrangements and estate matters. We stayed 8 nights, and found the room very comfortable, quiet, spacious and with a good-size desk and a reliable wireless connection. The coffee maker, microwave and fridge were welcome, as I am diabetic and like to prepare my own breakfast. The business center was always available (only 2 out of 3 computers are connected to the printer, however), and it had good free coffee.

Our only complaint -- and it is a minor one -- is that the chairs in our room (both the easy chair and the desk chair) were worn, with scratches and a couple of stains. Since the room otherwise looked freshly renovated, perhaps new chairs hadn't arrived yet.

We booked the hotel via Priceline, and our rate was quite low. For this reason, we did not mind the $8/day parking fee. That would probably not have been true if we had paid the full price for the room.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
dhollier, Director of Sales & Marketing at Crowne Plaza Houston River Oaks, responded to this review, March 30, 2010
Thank you for your review!

It is always nice to hear from guests who have enjoyed their stay. I hope that when your travels bring you back to Houston that you will stay with us again.

Most sincerely,

Director of Sales & Marketing

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Los Angeles
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2010

Got here at 2:30 and couldn't check in till 3:45 because of line!!!!!! Why $8 to park??? No other place to street park or an inexpensive parking garage.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
dhollier, Director of Sales & Marketing at Crowne Plaza Houston River Oaks, responded to this review, March 11, 2010
Hello and thank you for your comments.

I do want to apologize for the inconvenience that you experienced with a slow check in recently. It is our goal to provide excellent service and comfortable accommodations and I do understand that a long wait to check in can affect your opinion of our hotel. I can assure you that it is not the norm for such a long wait and that it was due to several large groups staying here as well as the Rodeo event in town. Please let us have another chance when your travels bring you back to Houston. You may contact me direction to discuss parking options as well.

Thanks again and best regards,

Mexico
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2010

We came here because of the hotel´s proximity to the medical center.
The location is ok. But the hotel is far from looking new. The elevators wood walls are all scratched, the hallways smell and aren´t finished, the room has a good size, but a very small window. The fitness center is small, the size of one of the hotel rooms.
We even thought that the had put us in the old part of the hotel, until we asked and they told us that the renovations has been finished already.
The worst was the shuttle service...we went to the galleria one day, and in the evening we waited in the cold, with a seek and handicaped person in our group, for over an hour for the shuttle to come, since they didn´t come at time. They told us that we were supposed to ask the driver of every van that came to the galleria if they came from Crowne Plaza, since the van they send, didn´t have a logo on it, or anything to identify it.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Hello and thank you for your comments on my hotel. Our goal at my hotel is to provide excellent service and great accommodations. I am sorry that you had to wait for our van at the Galleria. We do have a published schedule but sometimes traffic or other things can cause a delay. Also, we have hotel vans but when we are very busy, we will add vans in order to accommodate our guests' transportation needs. And, our hotel is renovated but we have replaced the wall coverings in the corridors (due to refreshing from Hurricane Ike) and are waiting on the baseboard covers. I know it is unattractive but our hands are tied until they come in. Please do come back and see us again and feel free to call me to ensure that you are in a comfortable room and can get assistance with transportation needs.

Thank you again for letting us know.

Washington, DC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2010

Not sure where to begin. The hallway and room smelled like mildew. There was mildew around the tub. The plate glass window was sopping wet from the humidity on the inside. The "fitness center" was a tiny, crowded room. The (paid) garage was strewn with food that had been torn apart by rodents. The front desk clerk (two days in a row) was harried and overwhelmed. The one positive is that it's in a convenient location.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
dhollier, Director of Sales & Marketing at Crowne Plaza Houston River Oaks, responded to this review, March 1, 2010
Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to review my hotel. Please accept my apologies for the inconveniences that you experienced. It is certainly not the impression that we want our guests to have. I hope that when your travels bring you back to Houston that you will give us another try and let us show you that we can do better.

Thanks again and best regards,

Opelousas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2010

I came here for the weekend to relax and visit with some family members and I stayed at the Crown Plaza and I was blown off my feet because how I was so impressed with everything from the moment I got here to the moment I left. The employees really make you feel at home here. When you come to this hotel ask for Chris at the front desk, he was really nice, professional, helpful and very impressive. I thank each and everyone at the Crown Plaza for making this stay the best stay ever, not only will I make this my home away from home but I will mke sure I tell all my family, friends, and coworkers etc to make it there home away from home also. (LOOK OUT CHRIS I'LL BE SENDING YOU MORE GUESTS). If any one needs a review on a hotel and want to know the best place to stay make sure you stay here if you want to experience the BEST service.THIS IS WHAT YOU CALL HOSPITALITY!!!! Thanks to all of you at the Crown Plaza.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
dhollier, Director of Sales & Marketing at Crowne Plaza Houston River Oaks, responded to this review, February 22, 2010
Thank you! Your comments about my hotel are very much appreciated. We work hard to provide great service and a good night's sleep. It is nice to hear that we did just that for you. I have shared your review with Chris and we will look forward to your return.

Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2010

The hotel is located about 5 miles from the Houston Galleria inside the loop. It is nice and the staff is friendly. Most likely anyone staying there will be pleased. However they are having some construction so make sure they don't put you in a room near the construction. I was not happy to find that someone was drilling into the brick directly outside my window early in the morning. There were also a lot of water problems. At one point we received notice early that morning that the water would be off all day. I don't think they every turned it off. There was also a loud noise coming from the bathroom pipes when the valve is turned to hot; the hotter the louder the noise. The rooms were very nice and comfortable and the bathrooms were also very nice. The rooms also have free wireless Internet. One thing I don't like is they charge for parking, but they have a parking garage so it was not that big of deal. Access to the freeway is easy and your only about 10 minutes from down town.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
dhollier, Director of Sales & Marketing at Crowne Plaza Houston River Oaks, responded to this review, February 10, 2010
Thank you for your review! And please accept my apologies for the construction work. We are finished! I hope that when your travels bring you back to Houston that you will give us another try. Thanks again!

Seattle
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2010

Don't stay here unless you want to be treated indifferently and love the reeking odor of paint fumes. We stayed here 1/20- 1/24 and the first room smelled so strongly of paint that I swear it had been painted that afternoon. We were then given a queen size bed although I had specifically called and requested a king. After many phone calls the next day and a hurried drive back to the hotel (they wouldn't hold a king for us) we checked out another king size room - and low and behold that one reeked like paint also. Housekeeping tried to tell me that the floors had been painted weeks earlier, but I swear it could have only been that week. I don't know how they can even in good conscience give people these terrible rooms. On top of that I am pregnant and when I told them this at the front desk, they seemed completely indifferent, and told me that I had to take what they had available. Not good customer service. I seriously debated just canceling my reservation and going next door to the Marriott- which is where you will book if you are smart. I've never had such poor service from a hotel - they are terrible! I really like how the Director of Marketing is trying to make it seems great that people keep writing in negative reviews. Here's a hint Debbie, if people are telling you how terrible your hotel is, do something about it! Don't write that you "appreciate the feedback". People like me will continue to write about their horrific experiences and your bookings will drop until you clean up your act. And the new paint color is a nightmare. Truly ugly. Ripping up carpeting all Saturday night? Not smart, nor is having a non-heated outdoor pool in Houston. I am making sure that everyone knows what a dump this place is and hopefully no one else will have to undergo the terrible experience I had.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
dhollier, Director of Sales & Marketing at Crowne Plaza Houston River Oaks, responded to this review, February 5, 2010
Hello,

Please accept my apology for your recent stay at my hotel and the fact that we have been updating our guestrooms and corridors with paint and wall coverings. And, thank you for writing and letting us know that you were not happy. Our goal is to provide a great night's sleep for all of our guests. Should your travels bring you back to Houston, please let me know and we'll work to make things right for you.

Director of Sales & Marketing

Been to Crowne Plaza Houston River Oaks? Share your experiences!