“Don't Believe the Hype” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 457 Hotels in Houston
SanAntonio
“Don't Believe the Hype”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

I can't imagine why the ratings are so high for this place. It is FAR from exceptional. If you read my other reviews you will see I am pretty low maintenance and don't need to have my rear end kissed to feel like I am getting good service and good value but this place is NOT recommended. Best for families? What? Yes the location is convenient but there are hundreds of options a five minute drive from this place. Any photos of the pool are completely misleading. It is about a 30x10 rectangle in a walled in "courtyard" that is actually just a wall around it to keep you seperated from the parking lot. Ice machine on my floor did not work for entire 3 day stay and there was never a sign on it to acknowledge anyone was fixing it. The trash in the vending area on my floor was overflowing and not picked up for at least a 12hour period. Yes the front desk staff was nice but shouldn't they be? I asked for my Priority rewards account to be updated and desk said they would. 3 days later it was still not done. I asked for late checkout and they said SURE, when we got back with a hungry family toting to-go food up to the room we were locked out. Had to go back down to desk to get key reactivated. By the time I got back upstairs family had decided to sit on dirty hallway rug and start eating. NICE (sarcasm intended).

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
dhollier, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Houston River Oaks, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Thank you for your review! We take all feedback seriously and sincerely regret that we were not able to satisfy you with the service and quality that you received during your recent stay. I am glad that you were able to get a 2pm check out. When you checked in your keys are only made for the # of days that you are staying with us. I am sorry that you were upset that you were locked out but the keys stop working at noon. I will be investigating your complaints to see what we can do to make sure this doesn't happen again. I have sent you a private message so I can get more details from you. I hope to hear back from you.
Best Regards,
Mandy Bates

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Houston, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

Great place and centrally located to the Med Center where we had a loved one staying. Free daily shuttle as well. Breakfast buffet was awesome, and the concierge service (Mandy) we got exceeding our expectations. Definitely will be back

Room Tip: Free shuttle, use it..
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
dhollier, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Houston River Oaks, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Hello Tommy B,
Thank you for your review! I am glad to hear that our location worked well for you when you were visiting a loved one in the hospital. Our complimentary shuttle is a great service and I hope it made traveling easier for you. It's nice to hear that Mandy took such great care of you. I will pass on your gracious comments to her and I know that she will be thrilled to hear that she was recognized for her hard work. Please let us know if there is anything we can do for you.
Houston, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

We recently stayed here for 2 weeks while our daughter was in the hospital in the nearby Texas Medical District. We were very happy to have a free shuttle back & forth. Staying in a hotel for 2 weeks during a crisis situation is a daunting task, but thanks to the attention from the great staff we were able to find some comfort and peace.

We especially loved the morning breakfast buffet. They had a huge variety of delicious foods including French toast & Omelets cooked to order all included. The cocktail bar was also a nice place to relax with a glass of wine before bed. The pool looked great, however it being December- we did not get to use it.

We definitely would stay here again, hopefully not under the same circumstances. But someday we will enjoy that pool!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Hello Tonya B,
Thank you so much for writing such a nice review! I am thrilled to hear that you love our hotel, staff & services. I am so sorry that the reason you stayed with us was because your daughter was in the hospital but I am happy to hear that we helped give you some comfort & peace during such a difficult time. We treat our guests like family and we are always here to assist your needs. It will be warming up soon so I hope you get to take a dip in our pool. We look forward to your return!
East Granby, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

I recently enjoyed the comfort and cleanliness of this Crowne Plaza in Houston! I was exhausted from traveling over 3,000 air miles in one day, and needed a run, shower and drink. As I arrived at the front desk, to check-in, the hotel's Director of Hospitality personally greeted me, and subsequently invited me to a top floor reception including free appetizers and drinks. "Sign me up"! I shouted. (This is Texas, so you can yell, for no reason) I made my way to my room with no delay, utilized the modernized fitness facility and got in a quick shower. I dressed quickly and made it to the 18th floor for some crab cakes, grilled marinated chicken & artichoke skewers and an ice cold beer. My hat is off to the staff, and I can't wait to return to Houston!!!

• Stayed March 2013
dhollier, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Houston River Oaks, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Hi Thomas G,

Wow! Thank you for writing such a raving review and sharing your story with us!! ! It is so nice to hear that you love our hotel and staff. We are honored that you chose us for traveling in Houston. Our job is to make you feel comfortable and at home. I am thrilled to hear that you love it here, We truly care about all of our guests. We will be here when you return!
Best,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013 via mobile

Nice place. Great service and friendly staff!! Close to medical center that was a big plus. The Wednesday priority club reception was very fun! The suites were very roomy and the concierge Mandy was extremely helpful during our stay.!!!!!!!

Hello Relance56,

Thank you so much for writing this review and for letting us know we exceeded your expectations. Creating long lasting memories to all our guests is one of our goals and I am glad this was the case with your stay. Thanks especially for recognizing Mandy's job, It made her day. Take care.

Please keep us in mind for your next visits.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013 via mobile

Great place to stay! Staff is exceptional and the atmosphere throughout the hotel is very pleasing. Location is easy to find and parking is safe and secure. A wonderful place to stay for any type of visit to Houston.

Hi Byutiguer,
Thank you very much for your review, we are glad you liked the convenient location of our hotel and so pleased to hear a positive experience with us. Again, thank you for choosing the Crowne Plaza Houston River Oaks. On behalf of the entire team, we look forward to seeing you in the near future.
Covington, Louisiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

We had reservations through Groupon for a particular weekend, but due to unforseen circumstances we moved the reservation to the following weekend. We did this through both the main hotel reservations number, and the local (Houston) front desk. We were assured it was no problem to move the reservation.

We arrived and were told there were no reservations for us, plus they'd already charged us for a "no show" for the previous weekend! After being kept waiting in their lobby for almost 2 hours we were allowed to have a room for the one night only...at a rate that they said was cut rate (the same they'd charged us for the supposed "no show"), so that night was in effect already paid for. Plus they would not use our groupon deduction as I'd been unable to print out the coupon...which I was assured by the reservationist Was No Problem. I think they need to get their act together and have set policies that are known to all reservationists and front desk people and management alike.

Never, never, never again will I use either Crowne Plaza in Houston, or Groupon.
No satisfaction whatsoever. Our weekend was ruined. We had to turn around the next morning and drive home. Upsetting and disappointing to say the least.

Room Tip: No tips for rooms, but I'd advise against the restaurant, it is both expensive and very unimagin...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
dhollier, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Houston River Oaks, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Hello pontalba,
Thank you for your feedback. I truly apologize for the problems that you had with the groupon that you purchased. Groupon does have certain policies that we needed to abide by and I am sorry that it caused you such a bad experience. I have sent you a private message to find out details of your stay so I can make sure that you are refunded properly. I hope to hear from you so we can take care of your complaint. Our goal is to make sure all guests leave satisfied and we would love it if you would give us another chance.
Debbie Hollier

Been to Crowne Plaza Houston River Oaks? Share your experiences!