“Solid 4-Star Stay, Not the Typical 5-Star Experience” 4 of 5 stars

25% Off Weekend Stays
Ranked #10 of 468 Hotels in Houston
Certificate of Excellence 2014
New York, NY
“Solid 4-Star Stay, Not the Typical 5-Star Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2008

I stayed here for a quick business trip. I had orginally booked a king room and when I checked in found that they were out of these rooms. I asked for an upgrade and received one no problem. The room was large and classically appointed but perhaps a bit past its prime. The bath was large and functional. My only real complaint was the fact that I could hear some noise coming from the hallway during the night. Compared to other Four Seasons, this isn't in the elite category but still a solid 4-star experience.

• Liked — Location, large room, comfortable bed
  • Disliked — Noise from hallway
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2008

Stayed one night in a superior room. The front desk and concierge, valet, and town car service was excellent. Meal and service for lunch at Quattro was excellent. Room service breakfast was top notch. I had expected better quality bedding from a Four Seasons though. Also, it would have been nice if turndown service had left fresh soap, shampoo, etc., as we had used it earlier in the day. They only left fresh bath towels, no new washclothes or handtowels. The walls did seem thin and I heard alot of noise from inside the hotel, doors banging, guests in halls at all hours.

• Liked — Yummy room service breakfast.
  • Disliked — Thin walls, scratchy sheets, cheap towels
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
San Antonio, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2008

Went for a weekend. Spent two nights and ate at Quattro.
1. Valet VERY attentive and quick. Excellent in general
2. Lobby - Older styled. Apparently they are going to remodel this and their rooms soon
3. Check in - Very quick, professional and courteous. The staff saw our two small children and pulled out a cart with stuffed animals for them to select from.
4. The room was big and had all the amenities one could hope: An ipod connection type alarm clock, etc. Now, you do have to pay the extra for the internet, but that seems to be a 50/50 chance now a days.
The room was a little ornate, more of your Ritz Carlton style, but apparently that will be changing.
5. The pool is out of service. The manager called when I filled out a comment card and told me how the several month construction has turned to the over the year long project and still waiting. It should be spectacular when done
6. Gym. Attended personally by staff. Nice selection of equipment, towels, fruit and water.
7. Quattro - a marvelous meal and great staff.
I made a comment re. the valet not knowing my car when I called (OK really picky, but expecting top performance) and received a call from the head person re. Valet parking within 2 days! Took my info. and really listened to make things better if possible.
Go and Enjoy!

• Liked — Large nice rooms
  • Disliked — paying for internet connection
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Brentwood
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2008

There are two ways in which you can rate this hotel. The first is to base it off of a regular four seasons experience. The second, is to rate it based off of a four star hotel overall.

If I was to rate this hotel based off of other four seasons properties, I would most likely rate it a high two or low 3. However, I think it is only fair to rate this hotel based off of its class which is a 4 star. Even then, I could only muster up a 4 rating.

This hotel is old and in need of major updating. There were several components such as the dated curtains, small bathrooms, and air conditioning units that left this hotel below even what I would imagine for your typical "four star hotel." Some of the pluses, of course you get a brief glympse of a "Four Seasons" experience with helpful staff (in general), valet, housekeeping etc.

All in all, our experience was very average for a four star hotel. If you want a true four star experience stay at the JW Marriott. Its in the beautiful (and much more safe) Galleria area. The rooms were recently remodeled with flat screens and many ammenities that even the Four Seasons didn't offer. We'll definitely be giving them our service next time we're in town.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Los Angeles, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2008

I stayed at the Four Seasons Houston for four nights during a conf. in Feb. My first impression of the hotel upon entering was that it seemed like one of the oldest Four Season properties I've ever been to. I've stayed an numerous FS properties (e.g. Chicago, NY, SF, Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Mexico City) and this by far looks and feels like the oldest. Even their logo on the side of the building facing the convention center was their old type face and did not have their signature FS leaf logo. Anyway, I digress....The lobby had the typical decor touches that impart a luxurious feel....plush sofas, ample side chairs, the requisite table sculptures and, most curiously in Texas, a chinnoiserie touch to the decor. There's nothing more off putting than being in a hotel whose decor (e.g. the Ritz Carlton Cancun) doesn't reflect their location or surroundings.

The Registration Desk is to your left as you enter the Lobby. There was only one attendant at the desk when I arrived who was already checking in a guest. However, as soon as I stood there waiting, another attendant came from the Front Desk office to check me in. I was pleased with the attentiveness. I was given a king room on the 13th floor. I can't comment on Bell Services upon check-in because AA lost my luggage while connecting through Dallas. That's a whole other Tripadvisor review in the making.

My room was very spacious and the view was excellent as it had unobstructed views of Houston since the lots surrounding the hotel are parking lots. I recommend getting a room on that side of the hotel (the side that looks down onto the pool). From my room you could see part of the convention center, the Hilton hotel and the downtown skyline. The room had a decent sitting area and work desk. The TV in the armoire needs to be updated. However, I did have an ipod docking alarm clock which was a pleasant touch.

The bathroom was quite ample with a sink in the middle of the bathroom. The toilet and bidet were on one side of the bathroom with the shower/tub combination on the other side. Given the size of the bathroom, it would be wise for that property, when planning their room renovations, to get rid of the bidet, separate the shower and tub, add another sink.

Housekeeping was fine. The only complaint, which I have at many hotels is that the housekeeping staff always puts my toiletries on a hand towel. This really annoys me as the bottles end falling over from not standing on a hard surface. I even asked housekeeping to not place my toiletries on a towel and yet each day there they were sitting on a new hand towel.

One of my coworkers was in a room on the other side of the hotel and her view was of the brick building across the street. Her room (queen single) was horrendous in comparison as it was 1/2 the size of my room and her bathroom felt worse (i.e. size, upkeep and fixtures) than a bathroom in a Courtyard by Marriott room. It did feel like she was relegated to a staff quarters. Actually, when going to her room it seemed like you were in a different hotel.

The Fitness facilities on the third floor were fine. The equipment was new and well kept. The location of the fitness cener was a little strange. It's as if they knocked down walls of sleeping rooms to create an open space and made a fitness area. What's strange is that there are sleeping rooms down the hall from the fitness center. Would be convenient to stay in those rooms if your used the gym a lot but quite strange to have to walk by the gym every time you go to your room. I believe they are in the process of remodeling that floor to add a spa and make a proper fitness center. The pool was closed at the time because of remodeling.

Men's locker room was standard. Would be better with the addition of a steam room.

The two Concierges that I worked with were excellent. Very helpful and didn't give you the feeling as if you were burdening them with another thing to do. They are an excellent resource at this property...actually probably the best thing at this property.

All in all, my stay was comfortable. I certainly wouldn't stay there if I didn't have a convention to attend as all of the good dining and shopping are in districts which are at least $8 cab rides away from the FS. Until the FS brings this property up to FS standards, I would look elsewhere.

• Liked — It's proximity to the Convention Center and the fact that I didn't have to stay at a Hilton
  • Disliked — Please, read review
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2008

we have stayed here numerous times (4 years running), always on the romance package - everything is always great "but" everytime we check out we are charged for the massage services that are always included in the package - mgmt. takes care of things, but it does make you wonder how many other things are charged without notice - 1 time is a misstake, 2 times well, 3 times ok, 4 times whats up, something is very wrong with the system - personal opinion 2 of the 4 times were corrected after i had left the hotel and had to call to get them to do it - what if i did not check, what if i did not call - how many other people have been overcharged ?

Stayed February 2007
houston texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2007

This was the worst hotel experience I have ever had at four star hotel. We were bombarded with construction sounds that the hotel assured us we would not notice. Everything we asked for, rooms together, rooms on the non-construction side of the hotel were denied. We were in fact in downgraded rooms so family members from different cities could even stay on the same floor. The weekend staff was a skeleton staff who had no idea what they were doing. Pancakes were brought to the room burned. The cribs were sent to the room with no sheets and it took us 4 phone calls to remedy the situation. I could go on and on... A total nightmare!!! Do yourself a favor and stay at the St. Regis!

• Liked — ipod players in room
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Four Seasons Hotel Houston? Share your experiences!