“Hotel was clean” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #134 of 455 Hotels in Houston
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
“Hotel was clean”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

It was very clean and beautiful. The only problem was that half the staff were just plain rude. Whenever I asked any questions (I was from out of town) some seem like they didn't want to be bothered. All in all, great hotel, but horrible service.

Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Toya B, Manager at Doubletree Hotel Houston Downtown, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us. We are not accustom to receiving comments of our staff not being engaging. I apologize for your exerperience and would be following up with the team.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Sugar Land, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

Stayed for 1 night with significant other for Valentine's day with a romance stay package. The front desk staff was very helpful to deliver a surprise to the room prior to arrival. However the bubblies that were included in the package was delivered really late; we understand they must be overwhelmed by requests but the delay by 2.5 hours toned down the excitement of having the complete surprise for him. Boyfriend works in a hotel too, so agree very much with his comment that the room and bathroom were a little bit outdated and has that feeling from the 80's except for the flat screen TV and alarm clock (no iPod connection), however they are clean and fresh. Room sound insulation is not as good as expected; we can still hear television from the room next door late in the evening. The bubblies came without the pre-requested chocolate covered strawberries; however the room service person was gracious enough to get one strawberry tray for us from her stash in the cart outside. Breakfast was very good; lots of choices and the servers were also very courteous and proactive in understanding our needs. Overall was an average to good stay; I put in very good due to the fact that the staff really tried to make things work for us and we're grateful for that.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us. We hope to see you next year if Valentine's Day take you back to Houston Downtown!
Alvin, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

The walls are paper thin. Had a noise violation because I was talking to my friend in my room. I could hear the next door occupant talking on the phone and I could hear the person on the other end of the phone the next day. Not a fun hotel to stay at.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Toya B, Manager at Doubletree Hotel Houston Downtown, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us. We are sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your stay with us.
Kingwood, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

Checked in Saturday 2/8/2014 for a half marathon the next day.
THE GOOD
Ouside LOOKS elegant
Check In
In/Out valet options.
The hotel was the next block over on race day.
You are given chocolate chip walnut cookies upon arrival
The view of the surrounding buildings

THE BAD ;
There is ONLY valet parking at this hotel $28(weekday) but we paid the $18(weekend rate) but when we drove up we were just stared at and only when I got out to check in and I asked the desk agent she told me they wait until you check in."Well hello how much effort does it takes to say that instead of just looking at us. We have stayed at hotels with valet(as an option) but they at least greeted us.
The rooms seemed dated other than the flat screen tv, not what was expected after that GRAND entrance into the hotel.
You can hear hallway noise very clear and it was the staff.
NO FREE WIFI
No fridge or microwave in room
We stayed in room 1521 and you could clearly hear people getting ice.

The Bar-The Restaurant

We had not eaten all day so decided to try the food at the onsite restaurant. Well we were looking at the menu place outside the restaurant but it was closed during the time and we could not wait. The bar attendant by the name of Andrea came up to us and explain they have the same lunch menu as the restaurant so we agreed to eat there. Although Andrea was very nice and seemed to be working alone,I would not recommend food from the bar or restaurant.
First, crumbs were in the seat and I switched chairs. I never saw anyone clean them or tables, but I guess because poor Andrea was working alone.
Second, It took about 25 minutes for 2 orders of wings(BURNT per my family members) at $11.50 each and cheese quesadilla in which I was still charged $12.50 for chicken quesadillas.(RIDICULOUS)

This is where conveinence can cost you.I later went back for the order for the 3 of us in the room.Club sandwich with fries $11.50 shrimp cocktail(DO NOT ORDER) 4 tiny shrimp and VERY large cucumber slices $11.00(TOTALLY NOT WORTH IT)...1 soft drink $1.85....$9 spinach dip in which you got food poisoned the day of your marathon PRICELESS.

At least after I got food poisoning and became very ill the tall valet did offer assistance as well as the desk staff. I am unsure if I will return or recommend.

If you are traveling during the week I saw a Zero's sandwich shop and a Jason's Deli only a few steps from this hotel. I would not RISK the food from the bar/restaurant

Room Tip: DO NOT GET ROOM 1521 you can hear the ice machine when in use
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Toya B, Manager at Doubletree Hotel Houston Downtown, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us. We would like to apologize for the unwelcoming valet staff and the spinach dip. If you would like to share additional feedback with us, please e-mail me at toya.berry@hilton.com. We would like to address the challenges you encountered during your stay.
Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

Booked at last minute to attend a family funeral. Was allowed to check in early and out late with no questions asked. Hotel has beautiful rooms and good views. I recommend upgrading to a corner room and a high floor.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us. If travel takes you to Downtown Houston again, please keep us in mind.
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

I only stayed one night. Check-in was efficient. Location was in downtown Houston but was deserted on weekend night. The room was large and well furnished. Only negative was the absence of a room safe. Didn't check out the restaurants or bar or see if there was a fitness centre.

Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us. If you are an HHonors Member, please e-mail therefore I can update your profile to reflect your room perference. We are also glad to hear the check-in was efficient. We do have complimentary safe access at the front office if you return. Thank you again and we hope to see you soon.
Santo Andre, SP
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014 via mobile

The room is comfortable, room service is good, the hotel is a very good option for business trips.
The hotel restaurant is Ok. The location is good, very close to many big companies offices, but there are not many things to do near the hotel if you don't have a car.
The only thing I didn't like about my room was the fact that It wasn't possible to open the windows.

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. We do offer a complimentary shuttle with in the Downtown area if you choose to venture off on your return visit.

Been to Doubletree Hotel Houston Downtown? Share your experiences!