“Nice hotel and very good service, just a couple of niggles..” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Brkst/Pkng/Wifi
Ranked #146 of 468 Hotels in Houston
Glasgow
“Nice hotel and very good service, just a couple of niggles..”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

I enjoyed my stay at this hotel. Nice rooms, fast elevators.
Nice bar area.
Restaurant is very much that of a business hotel though - lacks any kind of evening atmosphere but the food was very good all round.
The service by all staff in the hotel is exceptional also!

Two things would stop me staying here in the future if I had an alternative.
No free Wi-Fi in rooms
No in room safe, only a deposit box at reception.

Other than that a good hotel if you are in town on business.

Room Tip: Stay on a higher floor, I was on 16 and had an open view. Some of the lower floors looked out onto a...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Toya B, Manager at Doubletree Hotel Houston Downtown, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. I translated your response and glad to hear there was nothing bad to talk about! See you on your return visit to Houston.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Dallas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013 via mobile

Checked in and was told there were no king beds available. In the room, I checked Internet and called 800 number and was assured king rooms were available. While I took business call, my wife went and spoke to manager named Girardo, who proceeded berate and accost her. It is amazing that in 2013, Hilton would employ such an offensive person to work with the public--one must assume they condone this behavior. I was told GM would contact us, 5 days later...not a peep.

To top off the evening, the bar/lounge was out of the item we ordered. What we did receive was lousy.

The cherry on top was waking up to find 4 bed bug bites. I checked the mattress and low and behold: dark spots and gunk left by the disgusting creatures.

I travel to Houston 5 times a year; I'll never make this mistake again.

• Stayed May 2013
Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us. I assure you this is not norm. I apologize for the very unfortunate experience that you had at our hotel. Our guests’ health and safety is extremely important to us and we focus a great deal of our time and attention on them. We work closely with a professional pest control company to address and correct any pest situation that might occur. We have shared your comments with our staff and promise the situation has been successfully addressed.
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

I visited Houston during the recent OTC. Trip arranged a relatively short notice and hotel rooms were at a premium. Managed to get a room at the DoubleTree at very high rates. Hotel is looking a bit tired and dated now and could do with a bit of a makeover. Restaurant is very average. The staff are the saving grace for this place.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Toya B, Manager at Doubletree Hotel Houston Downtown, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us during the OTC Convention. I will share your feedback on the decor and restaurant with the hotel managers. Also, your kind words to our team.
Brooklyn, New York, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

I stayed here one night in the middle of the week for a business trip.

I'll start by saying the room was nice enough. It wasn't the swankiest hotel, but clean and comfortable.

Now for the bad part: The walls were SO thin that I could hear EVERYTHING going on in the room next door to me. MY headboard was shaking from what was going on next door. This went on from 11pm-7am NO JOKE. I called the front desk a few times, and they said they would send security, but the noise never stopped. When I complained at checkout, the person at the front desk laughed and made a joke about my neighbors' stamina. It was disgusting, and I'll never go back.

Dallas, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Expensive for what you get. Internet connectivity sucks and be prepared to wait at least 10 minutes for a taxi. Most of the staff appears to be foreign, with limited english capabilities. Food in restaurant is relatively expensive and very bland. Breakfast is also on the low side of average. Rooms are clean, but nothing special.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us. What type of device were you using to connect to the internet? We are logging all guest variances to communicate to AT&T the variance issues. My email address is: toya.berry@hilton.com if you choose to share the additional feedback. During city wide conventions, it maybe a little longer wait time for taxi transporation but we have a taxi stand that is located on side of the property and they are usually prompt.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013 via mobile

I've stayed at this hotel a number of times and its very reliable. Service, cleanliness, restaurant everything is very nice. Generally priced well but this trip the gouged me due to a city wide hotel sell out :-(

One other complaint, coffe in room and in restaurant was terrible. Wolfgang Puck food good maybe but his coffee needs some work.

• Stayed May 2013
Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us. I will also share your feedback on the Wolfgang Puck coffee with our Director of Housekeeping. It is a DoubleTree Brand chosen product but feedback will assist from our guest if their is an taste issue.
Norwich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

I prebooked this hotel as it was near to the airport, so not far for me to drive after a flight from the UK ! Reasonably priced hotel for its location - right in downtown Houston. Initially i thought that the parking was expensive (i accept that you have to pay to parkin cities) but when i arrived the lady said it would be a minimal charge for the rest of that day - it was 4pm, charge for the whole following day and then nothing for the day i checked out, at pervious hotels i would have been charged for 3 days. My only negative coment was that i had to pay for wifi, in was in the usa for 15 nights and stayed at 10 different hotels/motels, this was the oly place that charged. I recomend this hotel to anyone staying in houston.

Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Toya B, Manager at Doubletree Hotel Houston Downtown, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us! Currently, our WiFi is complimentary in our Hotel Lobby and Business Center. Also, if you are a Diamond or Gold HHonors VIP Member, you can use your account information to recieve complimentary WiFi services at any Hilton Hotel. Thank you

Been to Doubletree Hotel Houston Downtown? Share your experiences!