“Sorry Bud We Can't Do That” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Coffee Shop
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Austin, Texas
“Sorry Bud We Can't Do That”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2012

That's what I heard when I asked to make a simple alteration to the one sandwich this place makes that doesn't include red meat. I have a disease, and I can't eat certain things because of this. One is red meat, and the other is dairy. I went with friends who'd been wanting to try the place and they have stuff on the menu I can handle. The place seemed cool, so I went.

When we got there it was a different story. I ordered some Hippie sandwich with turkey, cream cheese, and some cranberry concoction. Since I can't eat cream cheese I asked them to remove it and substitute hummus in it's place since they serve hummus on other items. Here's a bit of what happened next:

Mr Customer Service: We can't mess with that sandwich or the lamb burger. But we can take the cream cheese off for you.
Me: So you can change the sandwich by removing something, but you can't change it by adding something to replace it?
Mr CustomerService: Look man, the guys in the back are chefs. And it's good the way it is.
Me: It's good if I could eat it, but I can't and am only asking for a simple change.
Mr CS: Sorry boss, but I can't do that.
Me: So can I just order some hummus on the side?
Mr CS: Maybe if you ordered something else and then we snuck it in that way.
Me: So I can't just get a cup of hummus for the sandwich that can't be changed, but that I'll be stuck paying for?
Mr CS: What do you want me to do about it?

The exchange continued for a while, but I gave up when no headway was being made in the slightest.

Additionally, my friend ordered a Rancor for himself and one for his wife, but his wife wanted to substitute the fried egg for avocado. So what did they do? Through another long and customer un-friendly conversation they removed the egg from the order and then charged her for additional avocado. I was dumbfounded as to what these people thought the definition of customer service was. I'm appalled at their lack of service and don't ever plan to go back.

The bottom line: Maybe go try their beers and I'd even say maybe try some of their food. But do yourself a favor and don't try to change anything from "the way it is", don't get the Hippie sandwich (because it was terrible), and don't go hungry because it took 40 minutes for fries to come out, and about an hour and a half for the entrees.

Ridiculous!

• Visited January 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Cologne, Germany
“A gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2011

Me and my girlfriend only went to this place while staying in Houston because a friend (living in Houston) brought us there. If you're not a local, you probably will never find this funky little place in the middle of a residential area.

The food was great and a very good value. The selection of beers if outstanding - they have a lot of beers on tap and can help you choose one, if you're lost in the big selection.

If I'm in Houston again, I will definitely go there again, now that I know of the existence of the place.

• Visited November 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Houston
“Really Fantastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011 via mobile

Excellent beer selections on tap! Outstanding food. Great staff. I look forward to going there many many times!!!!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere