“Great Place - nice atmosphere and terrific food” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Brasserie Max & Julie

Brasserie Max & Julie
4315 Montrose, Houston, TX (Neartown/ Montrose)
713-524-0070
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Brasserie Max & Julie is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #424 of 7,273 Restaurants in Houston
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Neartown/ Montrose
Cross street: Richmond
Transit: There is a Metro bus line stop in front of the restaurant.
Houston, Texas
“Great Place - nice atmosphere and terrific food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

This is one of our regular celebration places. It a very authentic French Brasserie - the prices for food and wine are reasonable. The wine list is simply French but a very wide selection. They have classic French food. It may not be the most inventive - but - every dish they serve - is really good. The menu doesn't change that often - but - it doesn't need to - they have a wide selection and all fresh and perfectly done. The prices are really very reasonable for the quality of the food.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Houston, Texas
“Nice Little French Restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

As a fan of French cuisine, I wanted to try out this restaurant that's relatively close to my apartment. The first time, I went for lunch and had a nice experience. I had a goat cheese salad as a starter and the special of the day (fish on top of risotto) as the entree. Both were pretty good although the fish was slightly bland and the risotto needed a bit more seasoning. The waiter serving me was professional and attentive. And this applies for the rest of the staff.

I felt the food during the my second time (brunch) was better. I ordered the eggs benedict. A really generous plate with the eggs on top of waffles. The sauce was, as expected, the star of the dish. The poached eggs were just perfect. This time I ordered a dessert (sorbet). A creative presentation with the berries... and the sorbet tasted amazing. Again, the staff was consistently good.
I will be definitely having multiple visits in the future, especially for the brunch. They have quite a diverse menu and would like to try the croque madame the next time among other things.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Totally disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

I expected a pleasant dining experience and great food, but this visit was a total disappointment.
Ordered the bone marrow as an appetizer and it tasted like someone opened an entire salt bottle in it. (Hard to believe, but they also put a salt dish on the plate so that the recipient could add more!) Our salad (Max & Julia) was okay, but nothing special.
For dinner, my husband ordered duck and I ordered the beef filet. The duck skin was crispy, but the duck meat was extremely dry. The beef filet was dry and had no seasoning whatsoever.

The bread pudding for dessert was totally overwhelmed by the chocolate sauce and blueberries that accompanied it. The cappucinos were good, but the coffeeccups were so awkward that we had trouble drinking them while they were hot, (finger holes in cups way too small to accomodate an adult finger & cup too hot to cradle in hand.)

On top of this, the restaurant was too noisy to be able to hear people at other end of the table.

Needless to say, we will not be returning for another visit.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Missouri City, Texas
“Very Good, But We Expected Excellent”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

A small, high quality French restaurant in the Montrose district of Houston. The menu offers a wide range of French food and wines. Ample valet parking is conveniently placed. As suggested by the review title, we had an excellent dinner here about 18 months and expected the same this evening. Although still very good, the meal suffered from several minor deficiencies. For instance, the champagne was not chilled adequately and the sauces for our meat were undistinguished. Our waitress was very pleasant and attentive but seemingly a bit inexperienced.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Occasion spoilt”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

We have eaten at M&J several times before and it remains one of our favorite eateries in Houston. I will talk about the rest of the experience in a moment but first the gripe :-)
While we were there, there was a young boy that was a total distraction. He was playing with his little car behind the counter making all kinds of noises and throwing his toys around. It destroyed the atmosphere completely. To make matters worse, it seemed that he was the child of the managers friend and nothing was done to stop this. Please understand that I love kids, especially well behaved ones :-)

Luckily, he and his mother left halfway through the meal and we could enjoy the rest of our time there. When are people going to start controlling there kids in a public setting? If I wanted to be surrounded by noisy kids, I could have gone to Chucky Cheese :-)

Now to the important stuff. As usual, the food was excellent and very good value for money. I had the blue cheese salad that includes the cheese (of course :-) ), arugula, poached pear and walnuts. The poached pear addition negates the need for dressing and the taste combination was well balanced and complimentary. In addition, I had the Assiete de Charcuterie that is adequate for three as a starter. The meats were a good scope and half of it came home. I requested some mustard to go with it and two portions were supplied (the in-house mustard and Dijon). Both complimented the meat and rounded it of well.
My wife and eating partner in crime had the Oeufs en Meurette (poached egg in red burgundy sauce) and it was excellent. The sauce added a smoky taste to the poach egg and together with the home-baked bread provided a substantial breakfast without being overpowering. Great combination.
Afterwards, we shared a crepe with sugar. My wife requested some cinnamon to be mixed with the sugar and the balance was perfect. Be aware that the crepes are only available till three (brunch time), so if you like those, be early
Together with two coffees and the gratuity, the check came to just over 50 dollars, which considering the quality, service and variety is REALLY reasonable.
Talking about gratuity, our server Kerry was very knowledgeable and friendly. She definitely added to our experience. The table next to us send their dishes back twice both times for some arbitrary reason and she handled it with ease and grace. Good job all round :-)
In conclusion, M&J still remains one of our favorite places in Houston, one should just hope to avoid brat hour :-)

• Visited June 2013