“ZERO customer service!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #87 of 455 Hotels in Houston
San Antonio, Texas
“ZERO customer service!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

I had booked a room for one evening last weekend. This was meant to be a special weekend for myself and my teenage daughter, who drove 4 hours for a concert. Upon checking my reservation the day of arrival, I realized there was an error, and I had been inadvertently booked for 2 rooms instead of 1. My husband called the hotel early in the morning on the day of arrival, to ask for the reservation to be corrected, and the hotel employee refused and said we would have to pay for the two rooms, and then call the manager next week and see if we could get a refund. The employee was hostile and made no effort to correct the situation. This reservation was made on Mainstay's website, not a 3rd party like Hotels.com or Expedia. After checking with our credit card company, we were advised not to honor the reservation, since it was incorrect, and they would support us in disputing the charge. Needless to say, I had a difficult time finding a hotel that night, and what was supposed to be a special weekend was ruined by the stress of having to find a place to stay after a long day on the road. I can only imagine how much more upsetting this incident would have been, if I was staying at Mainstay suites for cancer treatment and had to go through this mess!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

If you don't want to spend the money staying in Downtown Houston and don't mind driving into town, then the MainStay Suites at Texas Medical Center are a very good option. The location is right off highway 288 and during non-rush hour traffic it takes 30 minutes from IAH airport and 10 minutes from downtown. If you want to avoid the congested highway you can also drive to downtown using normal roads. I did that one morning. The surrounding neighborhood has plenty of gas stations but no restaurants, so you will want to go somewhere else for dinner or bring your own food. The room was nice and very clean and in good shape. The breakfast is basic Choice Hotel level. While the surrounding neighborhood is not particularly nice it felt reasonably safe and so did the hotel . I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

This was a very nice hotel close by where my daughter has been staying for the summer. She attends Texas Southern University. The hotel was very nice we got a double bed on the ground floor which I enjoyed. I stayed in Houston two nights, the first hotel was horrible I pre paid for two nights but refused to stay another night at american best inn, and left before check out. Then my daughter found MainStay Suites. I enjoyed everything luxury, enjoyed continental breakfast too. Cheryl was very nice and helpful. The only problem we encountered were roaches in the kitchen, and the patio door you can see through the side, the blinds need to be closer to the glass. I put a sheet across them and the front desk gave us bug spray to use hopefully they will exterminate to rid this problem. I still had a enjoyable stay. I go to Houston often since my daughter is in college and will stay at your hotel again.

Room Tip: Great hotel, I'm sure any room is great.
Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

We stayed here for three days, enjoyed this clean hotel with small living area and a full size fridge, a microwave, 2 burner stove and flat screen tv. We had a separate bedroom also with tv but not a flat screen. It did offer a large bath. The breakfast offered eggs, sausage, biscuits, waffles, juice and coffee. Coffee was also in the rooms. They have extensive DVR's to be viewed in your room.

The only negative is that the outside pool is very small and and there are no walkable restaurants. They do have a van to take you to the medical centers.

Gilbert, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

I have been staying at the Main Stay Suites since 2011. For my first 2 years of cancer treatment at MDA I stayed at the hotel every three weeks. More recently, every other month. I have always found the rooms to be very clean, reasonably priced and the staff to be exceptionally helpful and accommodating. Because I was there so often I knew all of the staff, manager and even the owner Mr. Lee by name. All the employees and especially Talena, Ed and Mike treat visitors more like family and friends. It makes the place seem more like home than just a hotel room. There are many hotels to pick from near the Medical Center, but I don't think you can beat the Main Stay for the shuttle to/from Hobby, breakfast, rooms with a kitchen, price and exceptional staff.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Lufkin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

I have stayed at a number of hotels. When I found MainStay Suites, that's where I stayed. I highly recommend MainStay Suites. It is clean, comfortable, homey and the staff is friendly and helpful. Great stay every day. Joe

Room Tip: MainStay Suites you always have a great room.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Rio Rancho, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

My husband and I travel to MD Anderson Medical Center several times a year and have stayed
in several hotels, expensive ones and inexpensive ones, and I think we have found a home away from home. We found this hotel to be very clean, Talena at the front desk was always so cheerful she brightened your day. Also The shuttle drivers Ed and Terrance were the best. The price is reasonable, amenities are great and the shuttle to and from Hobby airport is a major plus. They also provide shuttle service to and from MD Anderson. We found the staff to be very kind and accommodating, always willing to help. We will definitely be staying here on our visits to Houston.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to MainStay Suites Texas Medical Center/Reliant Park? Share your experiences!