You added MainStay Suites Texas Medical Center/Reliant Park to your Saves list
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Dallas, Texas
“Hotel review”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

This was a very nice hotel close by where my daughter has been staying for the summer. She attends Texas Southern University. The hotel was very nice we got a double bed on the ground floor which I enjoyed. I stayed in Houston two nights, the first hotel was horrible I pre paid for two nights but refused to stay another night at american best inn, and left before check out. Then my daughter found MainStay Suites. I enjoyed everything luxury, enjoyed continental breakfast too. Cheryl was very nice and helpful. The only problem we encountered were roaches in the kitchen, and the patio door you can see through the side, the blinds need to be closer to the glass. I put a sheet across them and the front desk gave us bug spray to use hopefully they will exterminate to rid this problem. I still had a enjoyable stay. I go to Houston often since my daughter is in college and will stay at your hotel again.

Room Tip: Great hotel, I'm sure any room is great.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

We stayed here for three days, enjoyed this clean hotel with small living area and a full size fridge, a microwave, 2 burner stove and flat screen tv. We had a separate bedroom also with tv but not a flat screen. It did offer a large bath. The breakfast offered eggs, sausage, biscuits, waffles, juice and coffee. Coffee was also in the rooms. They have extensive DVR's to be viewed in your room.

The only negative is that the outside pool is very small and and there are no walkable restaurants. They do have a van to take you to the medical centers.

Gilbert, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

I have been staying at the Main Stay Suites since 2011. For my first 2 years of cancer treatment at MDA I stayed at the hotel every three weeks. More recently, every other month. I have always found the rooms to be very clean, reasonably priced and the staff to be exceptionally helpful and accommodating. Because I was there so often I knew all of the staff, manager and even the owner Mr. Lee by name. All the employees and especially Talena, Ed and Mike treat visitors more like family and friends. It makes the place seem more like home than just a hotel room. There are many hotels to pick from near the Medical Center, but I don't think you can beat the Main Stay for the shuttle to/from Hobby, breakfast, rooms with a kitchen, price and exceptional staff.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Lufkin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

I have stayed at a number of hotels. When I found MainStay Suites, that's where I stayed. I highly recommend MainStay Suites. It is clean, comfortable, homey and the staff is friendly and helpful. Great stay every day. Joe

Room Tip: MainStay Suites you always have a great room.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Rio Rancho, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

My husband and I travel to MD Anderson Medical Center several times a year and have stayed
in several hotels, expensive ones and inexpensive ones, and I think we have found a home away from home. We found this hotel to be very clean, Talena at the front desk was always so cheerful she brightened your day. Also The shuttle drivers Ed and Terrance were the best. The price is reasonable, amenities are great and the shuttle to and from Hobby airport is a major plus. They also provide shuttle service to and from MD Anderson. We found the staff to be very kind and accommodating, always willing to help. We will definitely be staying here on our visits to Houston.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Tulsa, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

This was the first time stay at a MainStay Suites. The halls were very hot and no airflow. Overall stay was nice and the staff was very polite and helpful. The shuttle driver Ed was a very pleasant man and was willing to assist in anyway.

Houston, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

I've been using Travel Advisor for years and always read the reviews to give me insight as to the hotel's location and amenities. I've always been annoyed by reviews about how fantastic the staff was or how the mattress was so lumpy. However, my experience today checking into the hotel was worthy of my first review ever. I've stayed at this hotel previously, not by choice but rather my wife's insistence because of the Choice rewards. I booked my hotel room threw Orbitz, for 4 individuals. I am doing a follow up at MD Anderson, my wife and i decided to bring the kids age 6 and 4 and takes some days after my appointments to take some vacation time before school started. We arrived at the hotel and checked in without incident. When we went to our room, it turns out that it was only a single queen bed.

I go to the lobby and ask the attendant why I was given a room with one bed when I had made reservations for a two bed room. The manager interjected and stated that when you book through Orbitz the room that is booked is a queen bed with a sofa bed. It turns out that sofa in the room was a sofa bed. It was the size of a twin size. Now at this point I'm upset at Orbitz for not accurately describing the room. So in an effort to resolve my problem I ask the manager if they had any two bedroom rooms available. She responses that they do. I ask if we could be switched to one of the two bed rooms and that I'll pay for the difference. She tells me I would have to cancel my reservation with Orbitz and then book the room with them. After I get this brilliant idea from the manager, she goes on to inform me that since I've already checked into the room if I cancel with Orbitz. I'll get no refund and I'll have to pay for the two bed room. In other words i'll have to pay twice to spend one day in that room. I tell the manager that I'll pay the difference, by the way $6 was the difference. Her response was that she couldn't do it and I was [--].

This is the worst customer service I've ever received. In fact it was so bad that I've spent far too much time of my life writing this review to tell you all how bad it was.

As for other observations of the hotel.

Location is substandard, no restaurants close by, surrounding are industrial.

Rooms are small.

For the money $89, you could stay at the Crown Plaza by Reliant stadium, their advertised rate is in the $120 to $160 range However if you're a MD Anderson patient they offer $89 rates and provide breakfast and shuttle service to the Medical Center.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Been to MainStay Suites Texas Medical Center/Reliant Park? Share your experiences!