“Excellent location- basic facility” 3 of 5 stars

Galleria Garden Hotel/Apartments
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3101 Sage Road, Houston, TX 77056 (Great Uptown)   |
Ranked #296 of 473 Hotels in Houston
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Excellent location- basic facility”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014

This hotel was within a block of the meeting I was attending and all other hotels were priced over twice as much and most were sold out. The property is not an upscale hotel. It is not a full service hotel. There appeared to be several long-term resident families living there as the rooms are full suites with a kitchen, dining area, living room with old tube TV, bedroom and bath. There was road noise and some noise from the Mexican restaurant next door that could be heard while trying to sleep. Check in was quick and I was given a choice of rooms. One of them smelled awful as someone had clearly smoked in the room. If that were the only room available I would not have stayed there.

Room Tip: Get as far away from the road if possible
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

Families
Couples
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

I was booked into this hotel by a large corporation's travel department as there were no other rooms to be found in the Galleria Area. This hotel on its marquee and website describes itself as "Luxury Suites". I would not even have written this review except for the lack of customer service and the fact that they advertise "luxury" and Home-Away-From-Home but do not deliver

Luxury: Noun the state of great comfort and extravagant living.

To save you reading the details... In summary, the only thing I found that would equate to luxury was the size of the suite. The furnishings, appointments, linens, and customer service are about as far from luxury as you can get. I am not nocking Motel 6, But their brand comes closer to luxury than the Galleria Gardens and Motel 6 is not trying to be luxury.

The details....

First, the Building and location. While it is technically a part of the Galleria, it looks sketchy from the outside and the alley back to the parking does not seem safe. It is a building in a U-Shape that in the center has a pool (and its noisy pump and filer) -- think Melrose Place (but not upscale). The pool area is surrounded by plant life, that is overgrown and untended. Palm fronds were blocking part of the second floor walkway. (Not Luxury)

The suite over all was large. It consisted of A 4 chair dining table in a nook, a small full kitchen, a living room with couch, desk, and coffee table. There was older picture tube TV (none in the bedroom) and a low quality all-in-one stereo system. The carpet was sad looking, the furniture was mixed--not from a style perspective, but rather looking like it was pieced together by being purchased at garage sales and discount houses. (Not Luxury)

If you must stay here, a suite on the south wing has to be the best choice. I was on the north. Outside my window, and everyone else's on that side, is the back wall and service doors of a strip center less than 15 feet away. This means that all night you hear kitchen noises and the trash bags of bottles from the bar being emptied into the dumpsters. CRASH. (FAR FROM LUXURY)

The bed and linens were of a quality less than most dorm rooms. The sheets had visible spots. The pillows were low end foam. The Comforter was cheap polyester. The mattress springs could be felt when laying on them and when I examined the bed in the morning, the mattress tag was dated December 17th 1998--15 years old! (VERY FAR FROM LUXURY).

The bathroom it self was serviceable but again was a disappointment. The bathroom incidentals supplied, were, full size, oddly scented, off brands that looked like they were purchased at the Dollar store. (NOT LUXURY).

To top it off--there was no hot water. And the front desk is not open until 9:00 so there is no answer at the front desk, nor recording of who to call. The only way to find who to call is to walk to the detached office outside and read the hand written sign on the door. (NOT LUXURY)

After a cold shower, I packed up and went to the office to get my receipt (they actually charged my card in advance at check in) a real classy touch. I stayed at the St. Regis in Houston a few years back and the had such low standards that that charged me after my stay.

I found the above mentioned sign on the door and called. The person who answered sounded half asleep. They said that I should leave my key in the room and a bill would be forwarded by email. I started to complain about the lack of hot water and was told that I must have used the shower wrong. I explained that I tried both extremes of the single handled shower for 5 minutes and both sides were cold, one was maybe a little colder than the other.

The man sounded annoyed, and again I was told must have done it wrong. I hung-up, gave up, and left.

I called the hotel a day later to see why my bill had not arrived and asked to speak with a manager. I was told by the manager I must have used the shower wrong...Excellent customer service...blame the customer...she must have learned basic customer service from the other guy. I explained to her and she agreed that the shower had a single handle with hot to one side and cold to the other. I explained that I tried each side (under the possibility that it was plumbed wrong) for 5 minutes, and there was no hot water. She again said I must have done it wrong, but could not explain what I should have done besides trying clockwise or counter-clockwise.

I gave up.

It then took three emails to get my bill and it was sent in a file format that the average person would not be able to open unless they had a very older computer or downloaded a viewer from Oracle.

I am not impressed and am not returning. The large company's travel department was none too happy either and blacklisted the hotel from their system. If you want a true luxury suite, you will have to pay more and I recommend the Hotel Indigo just around the corner. I was there a week previous and that was truly wonderful experience and hotel.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Kansas City, Kansas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

I cannot stress enough how awful this experience is. As a lead-in: I am 4 years out of college. Have slept on plenty of couches, air mattresses, etc. In the last 2 years, I have slept on the floor at a friends while traveling the country and have stayed in the 4 Seasons Beverly Hills while away on work. I thought i had seen it all...

Arrive at 6:45pm, can't get someone to come unlock the lobby until past 7 (it is raining). Had to make two different phone calls to get ahold of someone. The guys that arrived were very curteous - no complaints about my direct contact with employees.

Walked me through the muddy puddles and leaky roof to my room. BOOM - powerful smell of mold and stale cigarette smoke the second the door opens. It wasn't until i found the dirty comforter wrapped around the two pillors, partially detached toilet, pubic hair on the bathroom floor / in the shower, and piles of dust/dead skin cells/hair in every corner that I decide I've had enough.

Went and told the guy at the front desk (he was locking up to go home at this point), he did not at all seem surprised at my complaints. Had to go through Hotels.com to get my refund (no fault of Galleria Crusty's Run Down Smokeshack)... but left that place after only an hour.

Also, the parking in out back that requires you to go through a dark alley into a poorly lit very secluded parking lot didn't do the place any favors.

DO NOT BE FOOLED - The "Garden Inn Hilton Hotel" right next door, has no affiliation and is actually quite nice.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Greensboro, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

This place is not intended for a one or two night traveler. The area is not the greatest. There is a great Greek restaurant around the corner "Alexander The Great" that has excellent Greek food.

The first room (really an apartment) had no heat. So I was moved to the room next door. Everything was fineuntil about Midnight when the noisy bar really got going. I got back to sleep about 2:30AM.

Finally the third night I had a quiet room.

The manager did try his best. But this is a rundown place.

It is convenient to the beautiful Galleria shopping mall one block away. The parking was good.

Room Tip: Make sure you are away from the bar and noisy street. Room #32 was the worst. I stayed in #11 the se...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
CR
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

The Good: This hotel is in a great location just a few blocks away from the Galleria, and close to bus lines, restaurants, and shopping. The staff is super helpful, and gave me restaurant recommendations, called a cab, and held my luggage for me. The rooms are large, including a huge walk-in closet and well equipped, including a full kitchen that's well-stocked with cooking supplies. Prices are pretty reasonable, and the area is fairly quiet at night.

The Bad: The place could really use a good cleaning. When I moved in, the floors were still damp from mopping, but there were long black hairs on the floor. There were also some stray hairs around the sink. The edges of the carpeted floor had clearly not been vaccuumed with an attachment in quite some time, and when I dropped my waterbottle on the floor, it came up covered in hair. The pool looked appealing in hot and humid Texas, but, again, had clearly not been cleaned in some time. There's a security gate controlling access into the courtyard, but this was unlocked most of the time I was there.

The Ugly: On the day I left, I saw a used bandaid on top of the refrigerator, and also found hair in the dishwasher.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Houston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2009

Good location. Very friendly staff. Could be a little cleaner. Well lit at night.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business