“Nice hotel & amenities, but HORRIBLE management and hotel service!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel ZaZa Houston

Special Offer
Breakfast/Valet/Cocktails
Ranked #11 of 456 Hotels in Houston
Houston, Texas
“Nice hotel & amenities, but HORRIBLE management and hotel service!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2010

My wife & I threw a 40th bday party last week and had about 60 guests attend. The party was held in the private Conspiracy Room which was great -- room was very cool & the staff there was very attentive and helpful. As we planned to enjoy the whole party experience, my wife and I decided we would stay the night in a suite.

After we left the party, we had about 10 of our friends come up to the suite for some late cocktails. About 45 minutes after we got to the room, a member of hotel security ENTERED our suite unwelcome. According to him, our party was too loud and other guests were complaining. That is understandable and all guests have their right to complain if the feel there is too much noise - I have no problem with that. However, this "toy cop" of a security guard/ floor manager open the door to my suite unannounced.

When I went to the door to see what the problem was and ask why he entered my room without permission, he says that he allegedly had Been knocking and nobody answered so he took it upon himself to enter. I find this hard to believe as there were 6 of my guests right by the door. Regardless, I asked him why he wouldn't give me the courtesy of a call to my room and ask me to keep the noise down and his response was "I should be listening for knocks on the door and he didn't have to call my room". The guy then went on to make threatening statements such as "if I have to come up here again, everyone will be evicted.". I told him we would keep it down but I didn't appreciate his threatening tone and him entering my room unannounced and without permission was unacceptable.

At this point it got ugly and my wife had to intervene as I was livid. I would've thought that after we had spent a considerable amount of money in the hotel party room hosting party for 60 people (including a premium open bar package and food) that it wouldn't be asking too much to place a courtesy phone call to my room to let me know there was a problem before entering my room without me opening the door and continuing to make threats and treat me like a freaking thug! Apparently I was wrong and this is how the hotel management acts. I take full responsibility for disturbing other guests, but I didn't even know it was an issue until this clown of a "manager" entered my room. A simple call would've been enough.

By the way: I stayed at the ZaZa one other time, also in a suite and there to celebrate an anniversary. On the occasion, someone from the hotel removed a personal bogle of champagne from our room. When I called the hotel security to tell them the champagne was missing, they questioned whether I was telling the truth about having the champagne there in the first place! Yeah, that is how I roll -- spend $400 on a suite and then make up lies about a bottle of personal champagne being stolen! Turns out there was a mixup and the champagne was removed accidentally, but I was also questioned and treated like a piece of dirt by hotel management.

I made the mistake in returning to ZaZa last week and giving them more business in hosting our par there. However, after the 2nd horrible experience with their customer service and management staff, I will never patronize their establishment again and will pass along my negative experiences to all I know. It is a shame too as the waitstaff was wonderful but I cannot give this property a favorable recommendation overall.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
ZAZAManager, Manager at Hotel ZaZa Houston, responded to this review, January 9, 2011
In an effort to ensure all of our guests are respectful to their neighbors, we ask our guest to complete a suite registration form. Please understand that our security officers respond to noise complaints when called by surrounding guests to ensure a safe and relaxing environment. All guests are treated equally and fairly, and this has been our long-standing practice of the hotel. I would like to apologize for any negative feelings that my team may have caused during this incident. Our entire hotel, including the management team, cares about the experience of every guest, so please contact me if you have any questions or concerns.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2010

Everything in the Hotel ZaZa was first class...from check in to check out, even the after work dining was amazing...keep up the great work. The stylish, sheik, and SEXXY!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Saratoga Springs, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2010

The room was beyond awesome. We have stayed at the best resorts and hotels in the world but this hotel was one of the very few that WOWed me from start to finish. The rooms had fun and unique things to discover throughout. The staff made you feel like someone famous and were about as friendly and helpful as they come. All around amazing. Very close to Rice Univ, Hospital and Reliant Stadium. A must stay

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2010

This hotel sure does look nice in the pictures but pictures can be VERY deceiving. Aside from the concierge staff I give this hotel staff a big F. From the front desk employee who can’t answer questions to the spa staff that won’t allow for me (an event planner) to pay for a clients spa treat with my credit card…WHAT??

Here is my experience…
I was so very excited to working on my first project for a client in Houston. Although a small project I thought it would be easy and would ultimately show this client that we are capable of handling their larger events. My client wanted me to book 2 rooms for 3 for her top clients that had won a VIP trip to Houston...easy right?? Not when working with this hotel. After about 5 conversations with 5 different people I was finally able to get someone on the phone that knew what a credit card authorization form was (very typical in this industry), thank goodness the concierge was able to assist.

Now on to the spa…
They ran a promotion that weekend for an amazing spa package, what they forgot to mention was they had a large group in-house and had only one spa appointment available from Friday Afternoon through Saturday Afternoon. Needless to say we were unable to offer spa appointments and had to offer Gift Cards.

Billing…
After all was said and done I ended up having about 7 charges on my credit card because the spa, front desk and concierge desk do not all work together on billing. I had to send three credit card authorization forms to all three departments. I was so happy to have everything done and to make my last phone call to the front desk to make sure all charges were charge to my credit card and all three guests had checked in. I would have LOVED for that to have been the end to this terrible story.

I found out yesterday that the Hotel ZaZa actually charged one of my clients VIP Customers for their room….WHAT?? It was two rooms, how in the world did you mess that up? I called and left a message to get this issue resolved…no one called back. I called again and stressed that I needed to talk to a manager…I was transferred to a managers voicemail but that person is on vacation and won’t be returning to the office for 6 days. I called again and waited on hold for 10 minutes and was told a manager would call me right back…two hours later, NO CALL. I called again and waited on hold for 19 minutes and 34 sec (I checked my phone because I could not believe it either). I talked to a manager who tried to be sympathetic to my situation but unfortunately I could tell that the horrors of my experience did not surprise her.

One good thing…
The concierge staff was very helpful and did a fine job.

To say the least...I WOULD NOT recommend this hotel.

Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
ZAZAManager, Manager at Hotel ZaZa Houston, responded to this review, December 17, 2010
The service opportunities mentioned on your post were given immediate attention by the executive team. Our associates and managers receive consistent training on handling service opportunities. When someone stays at Hotel ZaZa Houston, the experience should be seamless and handled to perfection. It was disappointing to read that the team acted so abnormally to your service needs. I apologize for this uncharacteristic experience. At your convenience, please contact me. Our staff at Hotel Zaza Houston would love the opportunity to reverse your experience and treat you like a Rockstar!
Lockhart, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2010

Our recent stay at the Zaza was overshadowed by a negative experience with a third party valet contractor, Sovereign Services. The valet service at the Zaza (Sovereign Services) damaged our vehicle, denied any wrongdoing, then rejected our claim for damages.

Then came Mr. Ian Bush, Manager of Zaza. After talking to Mr Bush regarding our incident, he stepped up to the plate and covered the damage to our vehicle within minutes of our conversation. It's disheartening to know that Zaza paid for damages that they did not cause, but hopefully they can be reimbursed by the guilty party, Sovereign Services. However, I can't say enough about Mr. Ian Bush and the professionalism he displayed. Top notch all the way!!!

As for the hotel, this place is nice with comfortable beds and good views. The bar gets a little crowded at nighttime but it's a fun atmosphere and full of energy. If you are visiting Houston, you don't want to miss staying at least one night at the Zaza. The decor is awesome... I wish you guys would come decorate my house!!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2010

ZaZa is a trendy place in the museum district. Very interesting decorating: The Ritz meets Best Little W$%#ehouse.... Room was impeccable. We stayed in a villa overlooking the pool. Huge bathroom. The entire hotel was very, very clean. The gym was better than anywhere I have ever stayed. Free weights, weight machines, three treadmills, three ellipticals and room for stretch out with mats and yoga balls.

Spa was very nice. But expensive. Ask about prices before you have treatments. Apparently, there are several levels of manicure/pedicures and if you don't ask, you'll get an upgrade and if price is a consideration, you'll be shocked (I was).

We ordered room service our first night. Chicken caesar salad and turkey club. Both excellent. Salad better than most. I also had lunch at the Monarch restaurant. I had the crispy calamari salad. If you like calamari, you'll love this salad. It was delicious.

My husband was there for business. I just tagged along. Loved ZaZa. If we ever return to Houston, we will stay again.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Corpus Christi, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2010

We stayed at the ZaZa for an event at the Museum just across the street. I must first say that the hotel was wonderfully located right in the prettiest part of Houston. There are a number of hotels to the south in the Hospital District that are fine...and several to the north in the City Center that are nice...but this hotel at the Museum and University is uniquely positioned and the TexanAbroad would generally recommend it for those who need to stay in that area.

The hotel is trendy, let's call it "tastefully overdone," with interesting photographs of famous and beautiful people at every turn. Staff is friendly. Rooms are smallish but most with little balconies and nice vistas. Bedding is quality and room appointments are quality. Just bring your wallet, because everything costs (except coffee on your floor)...but really, I get a free bottle of water, warm cookies, often a little snack, and breakfast at the Hampton Inn for $125/night. No such feebees at the luxurious ZaZa for twice that price. ZaZa does offer the insanely priced and fully loaded Servi-Bar and snappy $25/night parking. And don't forget. the expectations of tips at every turn (so bring plenty of little bills, too). Bottom line: with ZaZa you spend a lot of money for a comfortable bed in a nice hotel in a good location.

So, it comes down the money. It's just not the value we've grown so fond of along the way. But every once-in-a-while, I suppose it's good to stay overnight with the mink and Mercedes crowd...then have breakfast at Denny's.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family

Been to Hotel ZaZa Houston? Share your experiences!