“Extraordinary Customer Service” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 456 Hotels in Houston
Seattle
“Extraordinary Customer Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2010

Hotel ZaZa provides extraordinary customer service. What separates them out from other hotels are the small acts of kindness all the way from the GM to valet. It is a very hip hotel and each level of service is wonderful. The Monarch restaurant provides great food and the Zaspa is top notch for spa services.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2010

The suite was beautiful and spacious, the restaurant quiet and intimate, the bar just enough life on a weeknight to enjoy a few drinks and conversation.

Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
dilleywhopper
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2010

Excellent rooms and atmosphere. Nice imediate area, but don't walk too far, ok to go to the gas station a few blocks away tho. Museum district. Easy access to the train. Crapy service in the resaurant both times I ate there. Stayed on business, but I wouldn't pay their rates myself.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
Spring
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2010

Let me first say that this was our first official stay at ZaZa. I had been to the hotel before for a party, and remembering that the next time we needed to get away that we should try it, their swanky style right up my alley. I had never stayed ovvernight, and my husband had not ever been at all. We got a great deal for a Valentine's day package, with dinner, room for 1 nt, candlelit turndown service, breakfast, and massage ! Sounded heavenly ! I was a little irked to the fact that when I called to make dinner and spa reservations the day we bought the package (the first day they offered it), they were unable to accomodate the times I had wanted, and no one seemed to care. That should have been my first clue. I told them to call me if anything later for dinner came up. To their credit, they did call about a week and a half before our stay to offer a time that was a little later than ours. I thought it was going to turn out to be a great trip. The moment we started to check in I realized I had made a mistake in choosing this hotel. Style, yes. Customer Service, no. We were told ck in time was 4:00p. When we got there at 5:30, there was a shoulder to shoulder packed lobby of people complaining about not getting a room. When we finally got to the ckin desk, we were promptly informed that our room was not ready. I asked how could that be, it is 1.5hrs later than the ckin time I was told. They provided me no answer. I told them that they would either give us our room, so that we could get ready and dressed for dinner, or that we would not stay. Our only option was to be put into a smaller room, with an incredibly small bathroom to get ready in, and get moved later. Yes that is what I want to do when I come to a hotel, get all dressed up and then have to pack up all of our belongings to move once again. The front desk offered us a free drink, and free appetizer at Monarch. Our food was included in the package we booked !!! So then they offered us two free drinks for our trouble. Whatever, my first impression of our supposedly relaxing Val Day getaway was ruined. So we went, not at all happy, to the smaller room. I kid you not when I tell you I could not have bent over to blowdry my hair in the bathroom without hitting my head on the shower, ridiculous. I laid down on the bed, almost in tears that our special getaway was being so fouled up, that we should have stayed at home and not gone to all the trouble of leaving our kids, etc. I decided I was not getting ready in that room, and that if they didnt call with enough time to get ready in the room we were SUPPOSED to be given, then we would go home. They gave us no idea of what time that could be. Luckily about 20min later, we had our room. Willing to forgive now. But still wired now that they have frustrated me to no end. Shortly after we got into our room, I decided I would like a drink while getting ready to calm my nerves. We went down and opened a room tab at the restaurant we were having dinner at. The bartender told us she would happily leave it open for us so that we could charge our drinks from dinner to the tab later. At around 6:15 I decided to ck our dinner reservations because I had a bad feeling after the earlier fiasco. And was disappointed again, the reservation had never been changed to the later time and they were expecting us at 6:45. Again, totally frustrated with the lack of organization at this hotel. We told them there was no choice, we would come at 7:45p as it was supposed to have been changed to. Back up to the room, we get ready, my husband wants something from the minibar. Yes of course we are aware that things are ridiculously overpriced in hotel rooms !!! But a mini bottle (like 1 shot, the little sample bottles) of grey goose was 60 bucks !!!! Are you kidding???!!!??? It's almost as if it has to be a joke. Moving on. Went to the restaurant, no problems there, this time. We had a prix fixe menu. The appetizer was great, soup/salad to die for. Entrees: I had the shrimp and risotto, it was fantastic, but I guess it should taste fantastic if they are only going to put 3 shrimp on a plate. My husband had the Ahi tuna, much better portion sized, but tasted awful. Desert was an overcooked fig torte, and an incredibly tiny, bite sized red velvet cupcake. Tasted great, wished the cupcake was more than bite sized bc I couldn't stomach the overcooked torte. We gave the waiter the drink tickets for our several drinks, and told him to charge us for whatever extra we had. He came back to the table and said we were all set, which we were surprised at, bc we had 3 drinks (one at the bar, two at the table). Asked him specifically if the bar tab was closed as well. He said yes, he took care of it. Thought they were being nice after all of our trouble. Restless night on a firm, but somehow not supportive bed. Woke up to the bill slipped under our door. In addition to about 60 dollars extra in taxes, we had the 24dollar +tax valet charge (there is no self parking), and our bar tab (from the night before) had been added, with a 20pct charge for a "walked tab." Guess the waiter didn't close it afterall.. Just perfect.. One more little thing that alone wouldn't have been an issue, but on top of all the others, was a big deal. At this point we were looking forward to our massage and to get out of this place. We stopped in for breakfast at Monarch. We had the complete opposite of the server we had at dinner, who was the opposite of the server we had the night before. The dinner server was at least attentive. This guy couldnt have cared less. And they were NOT busy. He took our order, came back to take it again bc he had forgotten it, and then never came back to the table. Not to refill drinks, not to ask us how things were. Another waiter brought our food out, and we finally saw our waiter again when he delivered the check, and came back 10min later with our credit card receipt. He got what he deserved. Surprisingly, the massage went off without a hitch, it was fantastic, and we were refreshed just in time to make the trip home. We checked out, waited 10min for them to retrieve our car, and left, never to come back again. A romantic, relaxing trip I planned for my husband and I so that we could have a little getaway from day to day life, was ruined by little errors at every turn. As previously stated, any one of these things on it's own would have been ok, however when you are tense, anticipating the next error that would be made at every stop, it pretty much defeats the purpose of what we went there for in the first place. Please think again about booking here, and look at some of the other area hotels that have a lot more to offer their customers, as they value their service to them.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Texas USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2010

I stayed in the ZaZa last Feb and will be staying there again in March. The staff were very kind and attentive, the rooms fun and comfortable. Location is perfect for both business and pleasure and restaurant was delicious. I called and recieved a great rate - have made the ZaZa my place to stay while in Houston.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Houston TX
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2010

This hotel is a joke. I was shopping for a hotel room to arrange a party for my friend who was turning 21. From the recommendation of another friend who held a wedding after party at Zaza the week prior, i decided to go for it. I called and talked to reservation that i would be having about 20 to 30 people over in the room. I was told by "Caesar" that it would be fine as long as no more than 10 people sleep over. All was good and i booked the Splendido suite for 275.00. Was happy with the price and excited about the party.

Day of the party I arrive to check in at 3:00 as i was told this is check in time. I get there and they tell me my room is not ready. I was patient and took a seat and they offered me some food for my inconvenience. But after 2 hours of waiting, my patience dwindled down and I left. Hour later my friend swings by to try and check in and the room is finally done, note this is 6:00 pm, 3 hours LATE.

We get in the room to setup for the party. I was informed that no outside food was allowed but i brought some chips anyways because I was not about to pay 5 bucks per SMALL bag of chips. (yes i know im wrong for that)

People begin to arrive, party starts to liven up, and i make sure that the music is kept down because i do have manners and do not want to bother the people on the other rooms, but i failed at this. I get a knock at the door from two security guards and i step out to talk. (NOTE: i am tipsy at this point) The security guard tells me that they are kicking us all out because they received a noise complaint and there are more than 10 people in the room. I keep my cool and i apologize for the noise and asked for a second chance, and would turn off the music if necessary. He just stands there and says "no, your not getting another chance, there are too many people in the room and i want you to pack everything and get out now." I pause for a second thinking and replied "what are you talking about?" I made sure the hotel knew i was having a party, and was informed it was ok to have the amount of guests that i did there. I told the guard who i spoke with and this was his response "i dont care who you spoke with or what they said. It doesnt apply here and we need everyone to leave now" I was mad yet kept my cool and responded, "ok give me about 30 min to get everyone out and clean whatever needs to be clean" Guards response "no you have 5 min or i will have the officer come in and get everyone out" and then the officer steps up.

I agree and tell everyone to get out. I never had a chance to pick up any trash that was left on the floor or what not.

SOOO i was kicked out at 11:30. Was only able to be there for 5 hours and 30 min. My friends party was ruined because we were not even given a chance to talk to everyone and arrange to move the party elsewhere.

In conclusion, i end up with a 571.00 bill (charged for a dirty room which i was not given the chance to clean) and no one wanted to talk to me about it. Worst service ever. Yes i did some wrong by having some outside food and beverages in (brought by guests) but that in no way deserves this kind of treatment. The hotel thinks just because they were dealing with "young" people they can just push them around, but they are wrong. I know my rights as a consumer and i tried to negotiate the end price with the hotel. I was willing to pay half and they agreed, but then a few hours later changed their mind and charged me MORE than the regular price of 275.00 (jumped to 571.00). I own a business and i deal with chargebacks all the time, and i know the credit card company would have my back on this one. I was dumb not to use my AMEX and guarantee me my money back but oh well. Visa will see the evidence of this ridiculous hotel and refund my money. I do feel bad that if i win this chargeback, the hotel will receive nothing , after all, they did render me 5 hours and 30 min of service.
Only good i have to say is that valet was excellent and the front desk manager i believe named Mike was a good guy.

Enough with the story, heres some cliff notes.

3 hours late for check in, had to wait til 6 pm when room was suppose to be ready at 3 pm.

Told over the phone that we can have as many guests, as long as no more than 10 people stay.

Kicked out of room before we could even clean

Only mess was on the table, which could have all been shoved in a trash bag.

Hotel says I signed a waiver. I did no such thing. One of the guests of the party signed it and the hotel had NO written permission stating that i allowed this person to sign for me.

Hotel first said they were only charging us half, then told us they are billing us for the full amount(275.00). Then I see a 571.00 charge instead, which was not authorized.

Hotel was not willing to talk about the charges. I asked the manager was it ethical to tell me they were going to charge me the full amount and then i see on my statement a 571.00 charge and she just shuts her mouth up and reply nothing.

Hotel did not want to cooperate with negotiations about the charges.

• Stayed February 2010
northeast
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2010

The hotel and our room were beautiful. We had a few requests and the service from the staff was great. We both strongly recommend ZaZa.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel ZaZa Houston? Share your experiences!