“LOVE This Hotel!!” 5 of 5 stars

Breakfast/Valet/Cocktails
Ranked #10 of 452 Hotels in Houston
“LOVE This Hotel!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

This is a fabulous hotel on every level - could not have been more thrilled with our stay!!! I just wish there were of them and not just in Houston and Dallas! We stayed in the Splendido Suite and it was fabulously fun! We also had room service and it was delicious. They have horns on the front of their cars, a bouquet of tootsie roll pops at the front desk and the most wonderfully whimsical decor. LOVE!!!

• Stayed July 2014
Matthew_Nuss, Executive Vice President at Hotel ZaZa Houston, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
Denali5540!

Thank you for the fantastic feedback. I am happy to read that you had a wonderful visit at Hotel ZaZa recently! The hotel is a definitely eclectic. We will be expanding our brand to Austin in soon! Stay tuned! We love ya at ZaZa!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

The hotel is eclectic and very pretty; it is a true boutique hotel, however some areas of service need a bit more attention.

We chose to stay a ZaZa to celebrate our first wedding anniversary. We called ahead and spoke with Imani to get info on early arrival and late departure. She advised that the room was ready and we could come at any time, that was at 9:30 am, I thought that was awesome. Imani also advised we could check out as late a 2pm. I also asked about having something setup in the room to celebrate the occasion and she had the concierge to call me back. He did call back within 15 mins and I advised him we would be there between 1-2, he agreed he would take care of an amenity for us.

When we arrived check-in was simple and we got into the room fairly quickly. This is where things change for me, stepping off the elevator on the 3rd floor the smells changes to a kind of damp, musty smell. Once in the room the smell becomes a very strong, moldy smell. Housekeeping immediately came in and sprayed the carpet, but that did not help, the smell was there and really strong the entire visit.

Next, I was hoping to find some type of celebratory setup, there was nothing. The bellhop Seth had the concierge to call us after I mentioned it and I was then told, the setup/amenity would is normally ready until after 4pm. I was fine with that, but I wished I had been advised during the phone conversation earlier that morning and I could have had something delivered to surprise my husband. The setup/amenity did not actually arrive until about 5:15ish, but hey at least he still enjoyed the strawberries.

We waited till we got to the hotel to eat lunch and were going to order room service, when my husband called to order lunch the phone just rang and rang, no answer. We ended up going down to Monarch and having lunch there. The service was great; our waitress was very attentive and really quick. We enjoyed the food and the quiet setting. The rest of the evening went well, we had dinner away from the hotel, and it was easy in and easy out via the valet.

The next morning we ordered breakfast through room service at about 7:30, this time they answered promptly, stating a 30-35 minute delivery time. I it actually took over an hour for breakfast to arrive. The breakfast was really good, but not very hot.

Immediately after hanging up from ordering breakfast I called to confirm the check out time. This time I spoke to Karina who told me the latest we could check out was 1pm and that Imani told us wrong the day before and if we stayed till 2pm we would have to pay a half days room rate. What was ironic was my next question was going to be what would be the cost to stay another night, but since Karina was so very blunt and rude, I was like we are outta here ASAP. Check-out was as simple and a quick as the check-in.

Overall, it was not a bad experience, just needs some service tweaks. We may consider another stay in the future since we loved the ambiance and location of the hotel for a quick romantic get-a-way.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Carrboro, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

The Zaza is unique - I don't know how to describe the decor. I've stayed twice, once in a double room with a balcony and once in a king room. Somehow the balcony room was more charming, although the beds seem like they would be small if two people actually tried to fit. I manage to forget toiletries every time and the front desk always helps me out. The free shuttle is great and we never waited long for a ride. Good wine list in the bar albeit pricey. Chocolates each night. Right on top of Rice U. I will be staying here again soon.

Room Tip: Don't try to put two people in each bed in the doubles with balconies!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Matthew_Nuss, Executive Vice President at Hotel ZaZa Houston, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
NCreviewer!

Thank you for the great feedback regarding your recent visit at Hotel ZaZa. I am happy to read that you had a wonderful stay at the hotel! Comfort & excellent service are key at the Z.

In regards to the complimentary Magic Carpet Ride service, I am pleased that you enjoyed the shuttle ride!

Please touch base when your travels return you to Houston, as I will have my team roll out the reddest of red carpets upon your arrival. We love ya at ZaZa!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

My favorite hotel in Houston. I stayed in July 2014 in a suite 527, which was upgraded for free. The room was spacious, clean and comfortable. The bath robe so soft and pretty, the bed perfect. I bought the robe (they sell them at the front deck for appr. $79). The hotel decor instantly transforms you to a vacation state of mind. The restaurant food good enough but the staff was great and attentive. Overall - I highly recommend this place. Coming back this week!

• Stayed July 2014
Matthew_Nuss, Executive Vice President at Hotel ZaZa Houston, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
Agprbio!

Thank you for the fantastic feedback! I am happy your upgraded stay at Hotel ZaZa was filled with comfort & serenity. Excellent service is key at the Z! I am glad you love the bath robe; it's one of the many gems of the hotel!

Please touch base when your travels return you to Houston, as I will have my team create a signature experience for you. We love ya at ZaZa!
Katy, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

This was a fantastic weekend getaway!! The only thing that didn't cooperate was the weather. Sooo...we didn't get to experience the poolside service that is so highly recommended & raved about. Therefore we enjoyed the room & room service!! It was extremely relaxing & enjoyable! I'd recommend this hotel to anyone!!

• Stayed June 2014
Kristy L!

Thank you for the delightful review! I am pleased to read that you had a lovely visit at Hotel ZaZa recently. The Z is definitely an oasis away from bad weather! I am glad you enjoyed room service as well during your stay.

Please touch base when your travels return you to Houston, as I will have my team create a signature experience for you. We love ya1
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

I have stayed at the Hotel Zaza previously with just my husband and loved it but with kids it challenging at best but for us bordering on the nightmarish.

The good parts: If you want to see the fire works in Hermann Park or listen the Houston Symphony at Miller Outdoor Theatre without fighting traffic and being able to come and go as you please than there is no other hotel anywhere near the park to go to than the ZaZa. There are free cookies and lemonade at check in (not near the front desk). Free coffee in the morning by the elevators and the Monarch restaurant is very good. Everyone cleaned their plate and they have coloring books and crayons for kids. The pool area is beautiful and the gym is also clean and up to date.

The bad and the ugly. Why did you not tell us about the cookie and lemonade! My husband had his fill but the rest of us didn't notice until I saw the chocolate on his chin and by then it was too late! Same for the coffee, didn't notice until we were on our way out. If you have these wonderful things share them with your guests. I live in Houston, I went to the Zaza several times and told them I was coming with kids. I gave them the kids ages and asked for recommendations for rooms and as listed by a previous poster they told me to book the "deluxe balcony room". Sounds fancy I know, and since I stayed at a non balcony room previously, I thought this would be even better. How wrong I was. The balcony faces nothing special and the space for the balcony is removed from the actual room; therefore, if you have ever stayed in a hotel in Tokyo, Japan or New York - you know how small those rooms are ...this is smaller. It also does not have a tub and a teeny tiny itty bitty sink with no counter space, no chest of drawers. You get one night stand to put clothes in for 4 people and no chairs except for one office chair. How would you like to introduce your child to showers on vacation? Not fun and it involves a lot of screaming. Want to change rooms now ... you can't and they don't care and if you want someone to answer your calls don't call between the hours of 9:45pm and 9:30am because they do not answer the phone at those times but you can go to the beautiful pool area because they are all there but have no interest in helping you and don't bring your kids because everyone is drunk ...not happy vacation drunk but college frat party drunk. I saw none of this of course because the kids and I were too traumatized by "the shower incident". My chocolate chip eating husband saw it all and reported back gleefully. But we were in the elevator with an over served patron. Try explaining to your kids why the nice lady fell over nothing on the elevator and remained on the floor laughing hysterically until you removed your slack jaw children from the elevator. Life lessons for the little ones for about $350 a night.

Room Tip: Never ever get a balcony! Non balcony rooms are much larger and have better views.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
ZaZaHouston, General Manager at Hotel ZaZa Houston, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
WOW! I am embarrassed at the service you received. I would love to chat more about your experience and how we were not able to move you to another room to make things less stressful for you. After reading our review and your review of the Moody Gardens, sounds like it was a difficult weekend. My apologies for our contribution to the less than memorable time with your family.

A couple of things in your review caught my eye. Typically when someone checks in and we see that you are a repeat guest we do not go through the spiel of the features and benefits of the hotel as most want to get to their room and not spend any extra time at the desk. I apologize that you were not made aware of the afternoon treats and coffee. The treats are across from the front desk in the lobby. I am glad at least your husband was able to find them! We are proud of our chocolate chip cookies and how they typically leave a little on the chin!

You noted the ability to come and go as you please with our great location. Thanks for that as we feel our location is a big plus for us. I am curious as to our staff during your comings and goings. Did we have a good presence throughout the lobby? Friendly? Did you feel you could not approach anyone about changing rooms? Speak with a manager? As a father of a two year old, I am extremely sympathetic to the shower plight you experienced. I would love to understand why we were not able to change rooms as I was not able to find any record in our log that you requested to change. We are usually pretty good at our logging and follow up. I pour over these each morning to see if I need to follow up and it is obvious that I missed something. I apologize.

I would love to learn more about your experience with the team. We typically do much better and in the rare instance when we don't I want to fix it right away. Please call me directly at 713.639.4555 or feel free to drop by at any time and ask for me or Ian Bush since you live in Houston.

Thanks for the opportunity to reach out and again my apologies for the less than stellar stay.

Best,

Matthew Nuss
Executive Vice President
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

First stay and we loved it! Have stayed in many hotels in Houston and would highly recommend Hotel ZaZa. We had a room on the 9th floor with an incredible view from Rice Stadium to the Galleria area to downtown Houston. Food and drinks at Monarch Restaurant were fantastic. Best salmon we've had in a long time. Very service orientated hotel - everyone we dealt with was extremely pleasant and helpful. We mentioned it was our anniversary and were surprised to return to our room to find a bottle of champagne on ice with chocolate covered strawberries and a very sweet note. Although a bit pricey, this hotel has spoiled us and it will be hard to stay anywhere else in Houston from now on.

Room Tip: High up...over looking Rice University.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Matthew_Nuss, Executive Vice President at Hotel ZaZa Houston, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
SchneiderSATX!

Thank you for the wonderful review! I am pleased to read that you had a nice anniversary visit at Hotel ZaZa recently. Comfort & excellent service are key at the Z! We know how special the little touches are for our guests.

Been to Hotel ZaZa Houston? Share your experiences!