“Amazing place - Wonderful owner” 5 of 5 stars

2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   4003 Hazard St., Houston, TX 77098   |
Ranked #34 of 468 Hotels in Houston
Certificate of Excellence 2014
San Antonio, Texas
“Amazing place - Wonderful owner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

I travel to Houston regularly for business and typically get a place at the last minute. Last night as I was en route to Houston I frantically was calling hotels and every single hotel in Houston was sold out, including outlying areas as far as Sealy and Columbus, due to a huge oil and gas conference. Out of an act of desperation I started contacting B&Bs only to find out that they were also sold out. When I called Modern B&B, Lisa (the owner) jokingly said I could sleep on the couch. After being turned down by several others due to there being no rooms available, I called Lisa back and asked if she was serious, to which she replied she was. I figured a couch was better then sleeping in my car on the side of the road, so I headed towards her place. When I arrived she greeted me (this was after 10pm) and the place is amazing. It was very clean with modern decor in a nice neighborhood very close to many nice shopping and dining areas. Not only did I have a place to stay for the night, but it was also very beautiful and clean with wonderful hospitality. I was awoken by the smells of the lovely breakfast being prepared by the chef. Unfortunately, I was not able to eat breakfast, but it looked and smelled amazing. Modern B&B is a great place and Lisa was so very nice and hospitable. Thank you and I will be back!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
ModernLisa, Owner at Modern B&B, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Thank you for the awesome review. Come back and see us. Maybe we'll let you sleep in a bed this time.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

I stayed there for only 1 night but it was a great experience! The hotel is beautiful, great family environment. I had never stayed at a B&B but everyone is like this (which I know they are not), I would stay at more. Our room was small but did its job. Had a very comfortable bed, a shower and a small bathroom. We were only there for one night but it was perfect. Cable and wifi was included. The location was great for a vegan like myself, several vegan restaurants, trader joes and whole foods all nearby. Then in the morning, I told the owner was vegan and they made me a special vegan tofu scramble. I have tofu scramble too many times to count and this recipe was delicious! Overall great experience and if I am ever in Houston again I will return

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

We just got back from a trip to Houston to visit our daughter. We stayed at Modern B&B. It was terrific. It is located in delightfully quiet neighborhood within a nice walk to coffee/tea spots. However, you don't really need them as Modern B&B has spacious common space with tea/coffee/kitchen available to use.

Lisa and her staff were just right. They were available, friendly and interesting. Lisa had lots of ideas of places to go and things to do. She was very accommodating and made sure we had everything we needed. They were able to be available for us without being overwhelming with their presence. (you know sometimes you just want to hang out quietly.. and it felt good to do that there)

The rooms are lovely, spacious, clean and comfortable. It is a very easy place to relax and feel comfortable.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

While in Houston for business I had long and stressful days - but they always started warmly, with Lisa's enthusiasm, charm and warmth, and Roxanne's stellar breakfasts. The rooms are clean, quiet and comfortable - Lisa does all she can to accommodate different interests, instructing me on the best places to run and fun restaurants in the area.

The guests staying at The Modern were all friendly and fun, and Lisa and Roxanne knew how to bring out the best in everyone, making you want to linger around the breakfast table to chat and enjoy the morning. It felt like staying at home. I will stay there whenever my travels bring me through Houston!

Room Tip: When you book, tell Lisa the purpose of your travel and she'll try and put you in a room that su...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Silver Spring, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

This was a very different type of place to stay. You do meet a lot of interesting people, including the owner Lisa, who is quite a hoot. We love it. The fist time we stayed in the tree house room -- huge room with 2 little balconies and views of the city. Try to wake up at sunrise -- the sun hits the skyline with a brilliant orange glow that reflects off of the buildings. The second time we stayed in the Spa room, which is much smaller, with a huge bathtub right in the room--sort of funky, but fun. Restaurants are within walking distance through a residential neighborhood. Jenny's Noodle house is yummy for an inexpensive dinner, BYOB. The italian restaurant, Davinci's also within a few blocks, is incredible. There is a guest kitchen if you want to make your own dinner. There is a really good vibe about this place. Sort of like being back at school.

Room Tip: Tree house is biggest, and on 3rd floor. There is no restaurant, but the breakfast is very nice.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Little Rock, Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

What a great find! Staying at the modern Band B is truly unique. Being there wasn't only enjoyable, it was an international experience. Lisa (owner) made us feel right at home among her other interesting guests, some from fascinating places around the globe. She and her staff have a genuine and personal touch that makes travelling for business or pleasure not only comfortable, but memorable. The meals were delicious and served with lively, hearty conversation thanks to Roxanne's culinary expertise and happy disposition. We could jog the neighborhood and walk to trendy cafes and artsy shops. Since it's near Westheimer Road and in the Arts/Museum District, there's plenty around for turning a day into small adventures, ...and not to forget Rice Village. Don't be fooled by the unassuming exterior. The B and B's cozy rooms are beautifully done, as is the hospitality. Lisa goes out of her way to make sure her guests have a wonderful stay. We'd go back in a heartbeat. David and George

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Brownsville, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

This B&B is unique and inviting. The sign is hard to view from the street, which is indicative of its unassuming environment. The owner, Lisa, is down to earth and makes you feel welcome from the moment of arrival. There are two living rooms and two kitchens, which you are free to access at your leisure. I took a nap on a lovely lounge chair in the living room with a record player. My parents and I stayed in the Cayman/Chickadee rooms with a shared bathroom and it was PERFECT for us. The accommodations are not super plush but incredibly comfortable. I didn't make it to breakfast but had some leftover home made blueberry coffee cake that was heavenly! When you return for the evening there is always wine and some sort of snack set our for you. Factor in free off street parking and this place becomes quite the bargain. It is located right around the corner from the West Alabama Ice House, where anyone from businessmen to bikers to hipsters convene for great beer and tacos from the adjacent food truck - a must if you are in area. Several of the other patrons at the B&B were repeat customers and late night/breakfast conversations with them only added to the experience. I, too, cannot wait to return for another stay. I am already planning a trip for January. I look forward to seeing you there! p.s. the cat previously mentioned is no longer around. :( But there is a patio cat that makes an appearane from time to time.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Modern B&B? Share your experiences!