“Great place!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #68 of 455 Hotels in Houston
Austin, Texas
“Great place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2011

I have traveled extensively for business for about 10 years. I tired of the upscale business hotels years ago and then tried the small classic and then the hip boutique hotels but never found a way to enjoy business trips. Lisa's Modern B&B is the best solution I have found. Its a perfect balance of comfortable and posh. I can relax with Lisa and the fascinating group of guests and friends at breakfast or over a glass of wine or I can get complete privacy and comfort in my room. The place is spacious and light. Everything is clean and comfortable.On longer trips I enjoy having a full kitchen available for my meals. The showers are fantastic, breakfast is great. The new kitten is crazy cute.

Room Tip: Tree top room is so relaxing, but all the rooms are comfortable.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Liverpool, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2011

Modern B& B is off Montrose Boulevard in a great area of Houston for restaurants- try Marks American Cuisine and Hugos!
On arrival, Lisa greeted us with a gin and tonic and great conversation- very relaxed and friendly
We stayed in the Skyview room which was huge- balcony view of the city- large high ceilings, comfy bed, huge bathroom with walk in slate shower
After British Airways lost one of our bags- Lisa was more than helpful dealing with the courier to accept delivery for us
Breakfast was communal and omelettes cooked to order by the charming Roxanne, conversation flows and its a great way to start the day
Highly recommended

Room Tip: go for the sky room
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Rotterdam
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2011

Last February we stayed for two nights in the Modern B&B. It is a very nice place to stay in a great, quiet location. Lisa was very helpful and gave us a very nice room. The breakfast is very good! When in Houston, stay there!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Tyler, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2011

Took my wife to Houston for the weekend to see some of the great museums and art in the city. Location was most important, as I did not want to drive around the city once we arrived and was the main reason we settled on Modern B&B. My main concern was being overly pandered and catered to, which was not the case. In fact, when we showed up, no one was even there to check us in! However, that was not a problem, as we enjoy our privacy, and this place provided a unique experience, a beautiful room (we stayed in treetops and it was WELL worth the extra $$ to book the primo room) and a great location where we could walk or take a short cab to dinner/museums/hermann park, etc. Lisa was very friendly and non-ostentatious, and we both enjoyed the company for breakfast, our only time of interacting with the other guests. If you require extra-special attentive service you might find this place lacking, but for us it was perfect and I would recommend it to others.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2011

I am a native Houstonian who moved away many years ago. When I go back to visit my family, it's easier to stay in a hotel. While Houston has a lot of hotels (all the major chains are well-represented), they seem to be located either downtown or in the congested Galleria-area or (shudder!) out in the sticks.

I found the Modern B&B here on TripAdvisor and I was immediately intrigued both by the modern style and the Expobar espresso machine. I don't typically stay in b&b's because I am allergic to the overly frou-frou'd decor that you tend to find in the average b&b.

The Modern B&B, fortunately, is far from typical. My SO and I booked one of the larger rooms with access to a private deck. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The room was much larger than a typical hotel room and had adequate desk space and free Wi-Fi for my boyfriend to work. The bathroom was also very large and had two sinks and a great walk-in shower (with fantastic water pressure).

Breakfast was served around 8am each morning and consisted of a hot quiche or frittata along with fresh fruit, cereal, yogurt, juice and coffee. You can make your own cappuccino or espresso. My boyfriend loved the fruit smoothies. We enjoyed talking with Lisa, the owner, and the other guests at breakfast, too.

The b&b is in a great part of Houston (IMO), inside the Loop and convenient to the best restaurants and attractions. I was literally no more than 15 minutes from all the places I like to go. Parking is really easy, either in the driveway of the b&b or on the next street.

I would heartily recommend the Modern B&B and look forward to my next stay!!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
groves
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2010

My husband and I just recently got married. He surprised me with a honeymoon night stay at Ms Lisa's B&B. It was ultra modern and the room was huge! The breakfast we received the next morning was awesome! Ms Lisa and her chef both joined us with their warm company. We really enjoyed our stay and would definitely go back anytime! If your in the area and need a place to stay please check out Modern B&B!!!! Thanks to Ms Lisa and her lovely staff.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2010

We heard of Lisa's Modern B&B from a good friend who lives in the area. It was highly recommended and we were told that the services provided at this place was beyond extraordinary. We were warmly welcomed as soon as we walked through Lisa's door. We reserved the Mod 2 room, but was upgraded to the deluxe because I guess the visitors decided to stay longer. We were thrilled with the upgrade!! Everything in the house was available for use; it's like being at home. Lisa was always available to entertain and she made sure we were having a great time. Her recommendations for restaurants and bars was on par! Everyone there from staff to guest are warm and friendly. Wine was presented every evening. She is the definition of hospitality. The staff provided delicious, healthy breakfast every morning. The B&B was 2 blocks away from my friends' house and within walking distance from restaurants, bars, and the supermarket. We can't fathom the idea of staying anywhere else but Lisa's Modern B&B when we are in Houston.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Modern B&B? Share your experiences!