“Great Stay at the Indigo” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #48 of 451 hotels in Houston
Texas, USA
“Great Stay at the Indigo”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

I stayed one night at Hotel Indigo on business! I was very impressed with the decor and how chic this boutique hotel was! I somehow was able to get this hotel on priceline's "name your own price" for $55 a night! sweet! Everything was very clean, chic with nice Aveda amenties. There was a sign that if we needed more we can ask. There was a serving tray, ice bucket with two glasses. Coffee (not sure if there was a charge for it), extra towels, a bunch of pillows, flat screen tv, clock radio, chic magazines on Houston! Across the street within walking distance is an awesome Argentina cafe and then of course the Galleria mall behind the hotel! It was a nice short stay. Will definitely return!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Imakasly, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Houston at the Galleria, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Thank you for your comments and feedback pertaining your stay with us. I appreciate your feedback and will share them with our staff members. Oh by the way, the in-room coffee is a complimentary amenity that we have to offer! Once again, thank you and please visit us again during your next business trip. S.Bowden

339 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

I stayed at this property on a five day business trip in 2012. Spoiler alert: some will perceive this review as 'nit-picky.' The room was large and had an incredibly long built in desk and free wi-fi (both pluses in my book) and an incredibly long counter-top along one wall that seemed to serve no purpose (other than being a handy horizontal surface on which to lay stuff out). Did they originally plan on putting in a mini bar/kitchenette and change their minds? There was a mini fridge--but it looked odd covered by an over-sized counter-top. The A/C unit was the loudest I've ever heard; some nights I actually turned it off in order to try and get some relief from the noise (alas, this is not an ideal solution during warm weather in Houston). I mentioned the loud AC to the front desk and asked if my room could be switched. They told me that they were aware of the noisy units, that they were noisy in all rooms, and that the hotel would replace all units 'shortly.' Not exactly the response I was looking for. The spacious room had laminate flooring which was inexpertly installed. There were noticeable gaps between some of the planks; because I thought there might be a tripping hazard I found myself repeatedly adjusting the snap-in planks in order to move the gaps toward the ends of the planks hugging the baseboards (rather than have unsightly gaps in the middle of the entry hallway). There were additional gaps in flooring planks near the window. The room's decor was, in a word, eclectic. There was a major beach house vibe, but also walls painted in garish shades of purple and lilac (as were most public areas of the hotel) and frouffy elements (like the headboard) that seemed to be enlarged elements of a girl's fantasy princess playhouse. Speaking of playhouses, the lobby and ground floor public areas have an arresting/revolting mishmash of style. When you enter the lobby you're assaulted for lack of a better word with walls painted in the above-mentioned garish shades of purple and lilac. And the public seating is oversized Adirondack chairs. Think of being shrunk and finding yourself surrounded by giantesque furniture. It creeped me out and made me uncomfortable--as if I was in a time warp and walking onto the set of an episode of PeeWee's Playhouse. On the other hand, it was amusing to walk out of the elevator every morning and find guests in professional business attire sitting in these gigantic chairs while working on their laptops. Does anyone remember Lily Tomlin's "Edith Ann" character sitting in the gigantic rocking chair? That's the mental image I had every morning and had to struggle not to chuckle. Oh, don't forget the frouffy elements that seemed to come straight from the prop house of My Little Pony. Perhaps this hotel was designed by a group of six year old girls having a slumber party?? I imagine one might enjoy the outre decor under the influence of psychotropic drugs. Maybe this is what the Mad Hatter's tea party looked like after Alice fell into the Rabbit Hole? So my major discomfort/problem with this hotel comes from the confusing branding. Granted, many people probably would pay it no mind, but I'm a P.R./branding professional. I have to admit that I don't "get" the Indigo chain's branding. When I think of the word Indigo I envision shades of blue and lapis lazuli, not purples and lilacs. Technically, the purple shades do fall under the rubric of Indigo, but you have to read pretty far down the Wikipedia entry to find this. What puzzles me is that Indigo's logo is a nautilus shell, which enhances the beach house vibe. Granted, I think they over do the seashell identity; large seashell artwork on the wall, seashell shaped wall sconces, seashell shaped drawer pulls, etc. But if their logo is a seashell, shouldn't their brand name be "sea shell" or "nautilus"? If these brand names were already in use, perhaps they should have gone back to the drawing board or ditched the seashell theme. Like I said, this branding issue is probably not on most guests' radar but I found it professionally disconcerting. Every moment of my stay I wondered what they were trying to accomplish with their branding--and I feared that I was missing something. Note to Indigo: If people don't understand your brand it might be time to consider Plan B. Just saying.
I traveled with a large group of colleagues and ended up here because the block of rooms we booked in the adjacent Embassy Suites wasn't sufficient for all of us. Points for Indigo being within walking distance of Embassy Suites. And the proximity to the Galleria is spot-on. I've been told that no one in Houston walks anywhere but the Galleria is clearly within walking distance. Also a variety of restaurants/pharmacies, etc. The lobby bar/restaurant had great food, great service and friendly server & cook. The room was large and clean and the public areas seemed clean. My stay wasn't horrible by any stretch but it was not particularly satisfying either. If I could bring myself to appreciate the eclectic decor I'd have been way more satisfied.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Imakasly, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Houston at the Galleria, responded to this review, January 27, 2013
Thank you for your response on Tripp Advisor. My apologies for any of the issues you had encountered throughout your stay. For I do not take your comments as "nit-picky", I do take them as valued information as I leave it up to the past, present, and future readers of this site to gather their own opinions. Thank you for sharing and please do not allow our decor to steer you from any other Indigo Brand Hotels worldwide, as we continue to grow and enhance our local neighborhood theme to us all. Also, I would like to thank you for walking over and staying with us (since Embassy Suites was over booked) and giving us a try instead of the other selection of hotels you could have chosen. S.Bowden GM
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Great rooms with a great location, We were very happy with the cleanliness. Everything about our stay was great, cleanliness service, even the little restaurant was good. But the staff in the restaurant were a tad hummmm? un skilled

Room Tip: Price for this location is great and we enjoyed this hotel a lot.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Imakasly, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Houston at the Galleria, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Thank you for your comments on your Awesome Stay! I will share your comments with our staff members. I will work on the F&B team to get the hummm.back in to awesome! Thanks again! S.Bowden General Manager!
Tyler, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Very nice property, clean, and comfortable ( except very noisy A/C). Staff is excellent, front desk even remembered my name later on in the evening.
Location is exacatly where I wanted, very convenient

Room Tip: upper floors best
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Happy New year and thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor! I will share your comments with our staff members. I will keep working on those a/c units. Thanks again! S.Bowden GM
Lake Forest, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Hotwire has placed me at this hotel on two separate occasions. The hotel is great; comfortable beds, complimentary internet, huge showers, and pleasant decor. Having free parking in the busy Galleria area is also a huge plus. To anyone considering staying in the Galleria area, I'd highly recommend the Indigo Houston.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Imakasly, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Houston at the Galleria, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Happy New Year! And thank you for your comments and feedback. I am happy that Hotwire placed you at our hotel and that you had an enjoyable stay. Also, thanks for being a returning guest! S.Bowden
Staffordshire, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

My husband and I stayed here overnight after flying in to Houston before we set off for San Antonio.

The hotel was decorated differently to most corporate hotels. Clean, bright and cosy at the same time. Our room wasn't huge, but it was more than enough for our overnight stay with a large bathroom. The bed was also so comfortable, I slept really well.

The room was set up really nice for our arrival with a smart little tea tray on the bed and the radio playing softly in the background.

We didn't use the hotel restaurant as we decided to walk to the Cheesecake factory at the Galleria. The walk was short (about 10 mins) and there are lots of shops if you wanted to pick up a few things.

We left early the following morning so didn't have time to explore any further but if we were in Houston again we'd stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Imakasly, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Houston at the Galleria, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Happy New Year! Thank you so much for your feedback. For sure, I will share your comments with our staff members. Thank you for choosing Hotel Indigo as you passed through Houston to San Antonio. S. Bowden
Sachse, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Hitel is very conveniently located close to the Galleria, making shopping easy. Rooms are nice, but shower on;y bathrooms. Free parking and wifi are lpusses. Most staff nice, except for night staff Tee, who was really rude and unhelpful with requests two nights in a row.
Finally be careful not to live any stuff in the room, as we got charged a $75 cleaning charge after check-out for leaving clothes tag and shopping bags behind in the room. Except for this unpleasant event, our stay was genrally comfortable and alright.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Imakasly, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Houston at the Galleria, responded to this review, January 1, 2013
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. I appreciate this and will get with our staff member on this. $75.00 additional fee would only apply should your room need additional attention beyond our standard cleaning policy and/or rules of the hospitality industry. Thank you again! SBowden.

Been to Hotel Indigo Houston at the Galleria? Share your experiences!