“Excellent Value” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Houston, Texas
“Excellent Value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012 via mobile

Great neighborhood sushi and seafood restaurant. Bang-for-the-buck, it can't be beat.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Spring
“Fish and sushi”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

If you like seafood and/or sushi, then this a is a place for you. It has a simple atmosphere with delicious food. Lunch is quite crowded (don't arrive at noon!,) but once you're seated you're served in a reasonable time.

I particularly like the various seafood fish choices with a variety of toppings.

Visited March 2012
Houston
“Not what it used to be.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012

This place has been on my hubby and my "favorites" list for years. We would have cravings for the NYC roll. The past three experiences have been terrible service wise. Enough that we probably won't take the chance in giving it another chance. Since we have been going there which is about eight years there has been a "Now Hiring" banner hanging outside the restaurant. This may be the reason for the slow food and service as they probably have a revolving door of staff. It's really too bad. They added on a floor upstairs that seems to have been when the problems started.

• Visited March 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Texas
“An Extraordinary Find”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012

Looking for seafood and can't get down to the coast, we were. The corporate owned chains, even the nicer ones leave us with that "been there, done that" feeling and we just couldn't easily find the local seafood hangout.

Our friend suggested a place she'd found while researching seafood on the internet and she joined us for an extraordinary feast located along 249 in the burbs.

The menu is fun mix of what might be called Asian fusion. But this place is not easy to find a label for. Tempura shrimp came as an appetizer with a delicious sauce billed as a salsa, but presenting as a zestier and classier version of catsup. and the waiter also provided a thick teriyaki upon request...great combo! The lobster bisque was smooth with lovely bits of veggies and lobster and left me wanting more. My companions had the Mahi Mahi and the Halibut/Scallops in a cedar boat. These dishes were served beautifully adorned with flowers and their tastes were superb, I know, they shared. Nothing was too spicy, but I'm sure that they would have gladly provided more spice for those desiring the heat. We did not sample the extensive sushi offerings.

Beer, wine and saki were also available, but they were unfortunately out of the plum saki I wanted. The pear was a pleasant substitute.

The atmosphere is rustic with a small dining room downstairs, a small "boat" dining area as well as a larger upper floor dining room featuring murals with caricatures of locals.

We will definitely be back when we are next in town and will highly recommend it to local friends as a place for an evening dining adventure.

Visited March 2012
Houston Texas
“Fantastic Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2012

My husband and I dined at this restaurant. Our first visit because our son's girlfriend works there. My review is not biased because she works there....just so you know :) I ordered the fried shrimp and my husband had a bowl of gumbo as well as the catfish. As we are not sushi eaters, I can't comment on that food. We ordered the fried mushrooms. I had a glass of chardonnay, their house wine. For dessert, we had a scrumptous chocolate cheesecake (absolutely divine and very rich!). The food was well prepared, brought to us timely, and hot. The portion size is just perfect. We sat in the bar area because all Kira's tables were full in the restaurant. It was a great experience and we will be back!

• Visited February 2012