“Amazing poblano soup, every thing else average and over priced” 3 of 5 stars

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Maria Selma Authentic Mexican
1617 Richmond Ave, Houston, TX 77006 (Neartown/ Montrose)
713.528.4920
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #862 of 7,273 Restaurants in Houston
Cuisines: Mexican
Neighborhood: Neartown/ Montrose
Neighborhood: Neartown/ Montrose
Houston
“Amazing poblano soup, every thing else average and over priced”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

I've been here several times over the years and I normally come to get my fix for poblano soup. The prices are a little out of touch considering the food being run of the mill. Service isn't that great but bar and ambience are pretty good.

Houston
“Great little quiet restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

Love the thatched hut outdoor patio...so relaxing and the food is both typical Tex Mex and some unusual dishes. The avocado enchiladas are fabulous.

• Visited June 2014
Houston, Texas, United States
“Great true Mexican”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Maria Selma is our hands-down favorite for Mexican cuisine. It's more Mexico City rather than Tex-Mex. Excellent salsa, sauces, soups, handmade tortillas and margaritas...I could list the whole menu. The staff is friendly and efficient. They've added a thatch covered patio that transports you from Houston like a mini-vacation. Obviously, my wife and I love this place plus it's only blocks from our home so we're frequent visitors. Go and enjoy!

• Visited July 2013
toronto
“Really authentic -- not TexMex”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

What a wonderful evening we had here! We sat outside on the patio which is covered with a thatched roof and has attractive lanterns for light. It looked just like restaurants we've been to in Mexico. We ordered tacos -- beef and chicken. Delicious! The tortilla was very thin and delicate -- I liked it a lot that way. If you want guacamole, crema and other toppings, you pay extra, although the price wasn't high. We also ordered chicken enchiladas with mole sauce and this is the first time I ever liked mole sauce! Yum! Service was excellent. I can't wait to go back.

• Visited May 2013
Houston
“Great service and food for 12!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

We had the family in for the Christmas holidays and wanted to enjoy mex food on Dec. 26th. I made reservations for 12 and when we arrived they were ready and waiting for us. Everyone loved their food (and great Margs!) while we laughed and spent time together. I am so glad I chose this place. We drove across town in multiple cars and it was worth the drive.

Several of us ordered the enchiladas suizas -- they were excellent!!! Thank you Maria Selma!

• Visited December 2012