“service is great & food is good too.” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #528 of 7,278 Restaurants in Houston
Cuisines: Mexican
Cypress, Texas
“service is great & food is good too.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

This is a restaurant that i have been going to for over 30 plus years. The staff and service is as good as it gets. The cheese enchiladas with that chili gravy sauce is to die for. I will continue to visit this place for years to come. I highly recommend if you are looking for good mexican food on the northwest side of Houston. Give it try! jeff m

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

texas
“Very good restaurant for spicy lover”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

This is one of the good Mexican restaurant in north Houston area.
Ask for Carlos for some special hot sauce and deep fry jalapeño.
I will come back every time I visit Houston and this is recommended from my uncle vinny.

Houston, Texas
“If you like Tex-Mex, try Don Jose”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Growing up in Texas, you learn the difference in Mexican food and Tex-Mex. Most people probably don't know the difference, but just like Chinese people don't eat fortune cookies, Mexicans don't eat fajitas, except in Tex-Mex restaurants in Mexico. But in Texas, Tex-Mex is fine art. Some may judge a Tex-Mex restaurant on the strength of its margaritas, but anyone who knows anything about Tex-Mex cuisine, knows to judge the restaurant on the strength of their borracho beans. At Don Jose, both are top shelf. Ignore the Nixon-era decor, and be sure to ask for the tomatillo sauce. Definitely try the Charcoal Chicken Enchiladas. The only thing better than the food is the service. Know your drinks will be refilled before you need to ask, no matter what you're drinking. The staff is friendly, the food is fabulous and you'll be planning a return visit before you get the check.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Manahawkin, New Jersey
“Best TEXMEX”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

I have been going to this restaurant forever. The place has changed hands but the food stayed excellent. The original owner had it for years and sold out to an employee I believe. My mother lived in neighborhood and I lived in New Jersey. She went there all the time and when I visited, I would go there as well and have family get togethers there. Mom has since passed but I still go to this place every chance I get. Usually 4 times a year. Quality still consistent. Cheese enchiladas are my very favorite. I am in Mexico on vacation and can't get decent cheese enchiladas. I am ready for some as soon as I get back to Houston on my way back to New Jersey!

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
The Woodlands, Texas
“Love the food and friendly staff!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012 via mobile

I've been coming for years. The food is good and the staff the best in town! I move away and came back after 14 years, They remembered me and what my favorite order was! You are not a number here!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere