“The best mapo tofu & service to match” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1,704 of 7,487 Restaurants in Houston
Cuisines: Chinese
Sugar Land, Texas
“The best mapo tofu & service to match”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

We have been going to Chinese Cafe for about 5 years now. We live in Sugar Land but once we discovered this wonderful place, we were hooked. My wife is a strict vegetarian while I enjoy seafood. My wife will only eat the mapo tofu, no msg, no funky meat substitues and a lot of garlic, no. 3 hot. I may get somethiing or just share this huge bowl with a little rice.

Today's lunch is something I have to write about. I walked in and was greeted by Betty and Li Hua - Yu. Betty takes the orders and payments. Li serves the food. I said it would be nice to get a weekday lunch but I did not think they would let me have the mapo tofu. I ordered the mapo tofu, paid and went to a table. On the way I picked up water, a plate and silverware.

They all know I use a cane. Li came over with a bowl of rice and a bowl of steaming hot and sour soup! I said I ordered mapo tofu and Li said Betty wanted me to have the soup while I waited. Li also brought silverware since she did not want me to get up. I thanked her and she went and got the mapo tofu. I am a light eater and barely made a dent in my meal.

I had so much left over that I requested Li to pack up the tofu and rice. She took care of that and waited at the table just in case I needed help getting up from the low chair. Once I was up I joined her at the counter where Jacqueline the manager had come out of the kitchen. I told them that I had a choice of locations and it did not matter when you drove there from Sugar Land. With this kind of service we will never go anywhere for the mapo tofu.

My wife will have a surprise for dinner and will surely enjoy my lunch story. This place loses one star for cleanliness and ambiance.

• Visited January 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Texas
“Plain, but good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2012

Don't get me wrong. This isn't gourmet chinese, but SOME dishes are just great. The Kung Pao shrimp, for instance, is better than any I've had in the area and the price is right. Located in a mall at Richmond and Rice, this is a popular lunchtime spot, with affordable daily specials. Okay, sometimes they're a bit chewy, so order the Kung Pao instead or a whole fish or the bok choy--a little oily, but delicious nevertheless.

Visited December 2011