“Great food and value.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of China Garden Restaurant

China Garden Restaurant
1602 Leeland St, Houston, TX 77003-5032 (Downtown)
713-652-0745
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
“Great food and value.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

Had the #4 at lunch and it was great. Service was very good. Will be back soon.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Salisbury, UK
“Sorry excuse for Chinese food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

I went at lunchtime. 4 mini sweet dough nuts arrived in a basket before my soup arrived Far from fresh and to be honest looked a little like a table before me had the first pickings..Hot and sour soup was like onion gravy. It bore no relation to hot and sour soup whatsoever. Shrimp egg fried rice was not much better... fried rice with a scattering of frozen shrimp on top. Pretty awful and i left sad that I wasted my lunchtime on their gloop.

Visited January 2012
Pineville, Missouri
“Good food, close to our hotel and the Toyota Center.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2011

All our group but me ordered the unimaginitive Sweet and Sour chicken No. 222. No one complained. I had the Hunan Chicken and since I'm not real familiar with this I can't say if they missed their mark or not. It wasn't something I would crave, but it was good. Our waiter was very good with a wry since of humor. Wish I could order a sampler platter of about 7 different things.

• Visited November 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Houston, Texas
“Overrated on Tripadvisor”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2011

Went here solely based on the #1 ranking for Asian food in Houston. There was nothing wrong with the restaurant but it certainly is not the best Asian food in Houston by a long shot. The lunch menu was a little pricey as they did not include soup with the entree which is pretty standard for a business day Chinese restaurant. I also did not care for the way they prepared all the popular dishes I ordered - hot and sour soup, sweet and sour pork and an egg roll. The soup was very peppery and chunky, the egg roll had spinach in it and the sweet and sour sauce was yellow and orange tinted. Not that there is anything wrong with all those but its not what I am used to or prefer.

• Visited October 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Toronto, Canada
“Great, affordable restaurant. Highly recommended.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011

If you are looking for an affordable restaurant in the downtown Houston area, China Garden is worth trying. The food is great for the price. Now, I come from Toronto, and Toronto is known for its great Chinese cuisine variety. I must say that although China Garden doesn't reach that level of my personal "great" Chinese food, I think we it is good in its own right. The staff is also very friendly, and makes it comfortable to be their customer.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere