“A Tex-Mex Addiction!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #179 of 7,288 Restaurants in Houston
Cuisines: Mexican
“A Tex-Mex Addiction!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

My family and I have been eating at this family-owned restaurant for about 20 years. The salsa is spicy hot and the food is hot when served. When I visit, I enjoy the tortilla soup, nachos, and the various Tex-Mex combo choices. I usually don't bring any leftovers home!

• Visited February 2012

Houston, Texas
“Excellent Food. Great Prices. Spotty Service.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

The other reviews are spot on when it comes to the food and drink quality. This is the best Mexican food I have ever eaten in a restaurant. The margaritas are very tasty as well.

One reviewer complained about high prices. I guess that could be a matter of what you are comparing it to. For the record, I usually go with several other adults and all but one of us will have 2-3 drinks each in addition to our meal. The price is usually around $20 a head. Personally, I consider that inexpensive.

The atmosphere can be noisy, but understand that this is a family friendly place. If you are looking for a romantic evening out, go somewhere else. For me, the noise has never been a problem.

My only complaint is the service. It is sometimes great, but frequently they are very slow to actually bring your drinks to the table. You order them right away, and they give you chips and salsa as soon as you sit down, but you need to wait on eating any salsa for approx 10 minutes before they bring you any drinks (including water). One trick is to go to the bar and get some glasses of water for the table. The service there is usually quick and you can be eating the chips and salsa within 2-3 minutes max (quicker if one of you gets the water while the rest of your party is being seated). That or just bring your own bottles of water.

Normally, I would consider the need to act as your own waiter to be a deal breaker, but the food quality and prices are so good that I still consider this place to be excellent overall. Heck - I would still come to this place even if I had to pick up my own food from the kitchen. I do dock the waitstaff 5% off their tip, however. Of course, that's typically only a couple bucks difference since everything is pretty cheap.

Overall - this is a great place. Just be careful not to dive into the salsa until you actually get some water at your table.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Sugar Land, Texas
“Excellent Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

I have been going to this restaurants for so many years and it is still one of my favorite Mexican restaurants. They have excellent margaritas - just tried their habanero margarita and it definitely had a kick to it. Their enchiliadas are so good. Their beef fajitas nachos make an excellent appetizer. I would recommend anything on their menu because I have a good experience every time I go. They are usually packed on the weekends so get there early if you don't want to wait.

Houston, Texas
“The best in Houston”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Our family has dined at Lopez for over 30 years, beginning with their original location that seat maybe 30 people at most. In their new and larger location the service, food, and friendly atmosphere prevail. For the best tex mex in Houston you can't do any better than Lopez and the prices are great. We consider the members of the Lopez family our friends and my extended family and friends have dined here for years and have never received anything but the best food and service. The Mina dinner is awesome, assuming you can still walk out the door after eating as it is a lot of food! If you havent dined here yourself try it at least once and see for yourself.
Hint: Closed on sunday, crowed on friday and saturday nights, but well worth the wait.

Houston, TX
“Can't Be Beat For Cheap Tex-Mex!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

My boyfriend and I love going to Lopez for dinner. The chips and salsa are quite tasty (especially when the salsa is warm!)

For our meal, we usually stick to the "Pick 3" create-your-own-combo since neither one of us are really fans of rice and beans. It's easy for us to pick the cheese enchilada with chili gravy and the taco...then the third items is always a toss-up between the super-creamy guacamole and the queso puff. (TOUGH DECISION!)

And what better to wash it down with than a baby pitcher of frozen margaritas!

TIP: The service is SUPER FAST, so if you would like to enjoy an appetizer before your meal, I suggest ordering your entrees when you're almost finished with the appetizer.

Friday and Saturday nights are almost ALWAYS crowded, so expect to wait. And, since it's a popular spot for birthdays, be prepared for a lot of singing!

If you like your margaritas with a kick, try the Habanero margarita (my personal favorite) with the habanero syrup and spicy salt. YUMMY!

• Visited October 2012