“Disgusting!!!” 1 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #1,626 of 7,200 restaurants in Houston
Cuisines: Caribbean, Cuban, Mexican
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Houston, Texas
“Disgusting!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

Boy how a year makes the difference! I went to the Cafe Red Onion a year ago and it was packed and for good reason. Today, we arrived about 11:45 for lunch and there were about 5 tables full. It was freezing in the restaurant and all of the customers had their coats on. Clearly they can't keep the heat on as it was about 45 degrees outside and only slightly warmer inside.

We ordered (there were three of us) and waited..and waited..waited..after about 50 minutes I called the waiter (that was adding silverware to an empty table with three other staff members) over and asked that he check on our meal. He did and immediately came out of the kitchen with our very cold plates. They had obviously been sitting on the counter for a long time.

I ordered the chicken quesadillas. Everything was cold and grey. I tried to take a bite of the chicken and it was so cold I couldn't eat it. The quesadillas were a grey, cold mess. Under the quesadillas were onion rings. I think there were supposed to be fried but they were not brown but white and a limp, cold mess. I would have sent everything back and left the restaurant if it wouldn't have put a damper on the lunch visit with my friends. I ate a few bites and was immediately sorry. No, I didn't ask for a box. Yuck.

The place needs to be shut down until the heath department can review the kitchen.

Completely disgusting.

• Visited November 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

69% Recommend
Houston, TX
“disappointing lunch”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

Two weeks ago we went to Cafe Red Onion for lunch. We had been there many times in the past. We were surprised that the parking lot was half empty and the dining room was too. Well, the pineapple dipping sauce was watery instead of thick and the chips were definitely stale. Something is going on. Someone is not keeping the standards up. The next week we passed by and saw the parking lot again mostly empty. We went on by to another restaurant for lunch.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“What happened?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

This used to be on of the best places for lunch! It would be so packed by 11:15 on Friday, there would be a wait. Not now! This place was deserted for lunch last Friday, and it was obvious that things are not the same. Poor service, flavorless fish tacos. Only the chips and salsa remained the same. I'm so disappointed!

Visited July 2013
Houston, Texas, United States
“Awesome Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

Red Onion has a unique flavor of Carribean and Spanish Fusion. I personally always get the Beer Chicken but I have not had anything here that is not worth trying again. The Plantains and the Pineapples Sauce they give you before your meal is amazing and I often order more to put on my main course. You won't be let down by this place.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Houston, Texas
“Creative and delicious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

We were looking for a place with a caribbean flare and were recommended this place. The restaurant has a relaxed, slightly upscale feel. The food was fresh, and full of many different flavors. I particularly liked their pineapple salsa.

Visited August 2012