“Hometown Staple” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Breakfast Klub

The Breakfast Klub
3711 Travis St, Houston, TX 77002-9505 (Midtown)
713-528-8561
Website
Menu
Update restaurant details
Ranked #16 of 7,145 restaurants in Houston
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine, Entertaining clients, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch
Neighborhood: Midtown
Houston, Texas
“Hometown Staple”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

I've been going to the Breakfast Klub for years! (since it opened, actually). It has transformed from a college student hangout (it's near all of the universities) to a quasi-social scene on the weekends.

In a nutshell, the food is good, but once you've had it a few times, you can become underwhelmed. HOWEVER, when I have friends, family, colleagues, come from out of town it is on the short list of places to take them for breakfast.

BEWARE: GO early (before 9 am on weekends unless you want to wait in line, outside for about an hour.

The food is good. Reminds me of a big southern breakfast in regards to portion size and menu options.

I'm allergic, but the catfish and grits are raved about.

My personal favorite are the french toast and wings (wings and waffles substitute).

The service is friendly. It family owned and the staff is the epitome of southern friendliness.
Mr. Marcus, the owner is typically there and a great guy.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

87% Recommend
texas
“Wrong turn on road brought us to a five star diner!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013 via mobile

Went the wrong way trying to leave downtown, saw this place called the breakfast klub and decided to be adventurous and try it out! Upon entering the staff was awesome, helping us with our kids, recommending dishes for them etc. after we ordered (biscuits and gravy, wings & waffles and waffles for kids) we sat down and the proprietor came up and chatted with us. And trust me, this place was packed so it was awesome that he included us in his rounds. Staff removed dishes promptly and checked on us to see how doing. And food. Husband said biscuits and gravy was best ever eaten in his 40 yrs. I loved my wings and waffles but was huge and could have just had the wings. Kids ate and ate and ate as one pancake and one waffle was enough for double the kids we had. Gourmet coffee gourmet tea. Wow. My husband loved the music, I loved the atmosphere which to me was hole in the wallish. Obviously by the crowds and reviews we are not the first to find this gem. My only negative is that the prices are a but higher than one would expect walking in. But we loved it and would return!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
texas
“Service was terrible”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

Nothing special about the food for all the hype you hear. Waffle and chicken were just ok and you had to get up and get your own syrp they would not bring it to me. Bummer. Will never go back!

Baytown, Texas
“Catfish and grits? Tasty!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

If you're looking for great soul food for the first meal of the day, head over to TBK. Today I had fried catfish and creamy grits, plus sides of potatoes and a big, fluffy biscuit. The crispy crust on the catfish was perfect -- flavorful, but not hot or overpowering.

My son had the most amazing grilled cheese sandwich I've ever seen -- American, Cheddar, and Swiss cheese on garlic butter Texas toast. He loved it.

You'll see folks from every part of Houston seated at the darkly stained and heavily varnished plywood tables. Business is conducted over huge mugs of coffee at one table, while a dad and his teenaged daughter sample food from each other's plates at another. I have no idea who arrived in the limousine in the parking lot, but I'm certain they enjoyed their meal.

Be sure to check out the art and enjoy the jazzy tunes, too.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Way overrated”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

The place looked filthy inside and was the greasiest food I've ever had and that's after waiting an hour to get inside. Don't go!!!!

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere