“Son of a Gun Good” 4 of 5 stars

Good for: Doing business, Outdoor seating, Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch
“Son of a Gun Good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

Went with my son who likes hot, spicy food. He had the Firehouse Burger, which turned his lips numb. I had the Philly Cheesesteak Burger, which was still a bit spicy, but huge and tasty. The fries were hot.

Cash only. Worth the trip finding the location in the neighborhood. I'd go back. Go really hungry.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

texas
“Burgers Done Right!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

I have to laugh every time I read the review that Becks Prime makes a better burger. The atmosphere at Lankfords is a bit ruff but they cook up a most excellent burger and the fries are always hot. I make a trip to the medical center every other month and I look forward to a burger from Lanksford's after my visit!

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Houston, Texas
“Friendly-Funky-Famly Fun”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Lankford Grocery is an old ice house, (1920s convenience stores that are just about only exist in Louisiana and Texas) that excels in burger-stand magic. The burgers are big and meaty--8oz precooked--with soft buns and fresh veggies. This seems minor but how many times have you gotten wilted lettuce, pasty tomatoes, and/or sour onions? The fries are good but the onion rings are MONEY. The wait staff is friendly and fun.

There are some downsides. They're only open 7am to 3pm Monday through Saturday. Parking is a challenge as Dennis Street is in residential neighborhood with a lot of construction. Midtown Houston side streets go back to horse-drawn carriages and they're narrow. The room is tight with limited seating and the floor is always slick. Grab a picnic table under one of the big water oaks. The biggest thing you need to know is Lankford ONLY TAKES CASH and the nearest ATM is about ten blocks away.

Side note: Lankford also sells beer but it's family friendly. Oh, skip the Lone Star and have a Shiner.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
houston
“Ehhhh...go to Beck's Prime in Houston”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

We have been to Lankford's four times and every time, I say that I love the sauce...red, white and blue burger toppings have tremendous flavor but the flavor in the burger itself is pretty unimpressive. Sorry, Diners Driveins and Dive Fans...my family went today and I guess I am exhausted of my ordinary burger falling apart on my Dollar Tree bun. Its messy and the fries taste like they were previously frozen. The place is kind of messy and maybe even gross...we have a toddler so we travel with wipes which is great here. I recommmend Beck's Prime in Houston...no line to get served, great atmosphere, great flavor and great fries. My hubby usually eats one burger there and then goes back for another chili dog. And, he maintains waistline which is so not fair LOL

• Visited May 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Allen, TX
“Best Burger Ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

I saw the review on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives and decided to try it for lunch. Ohhh, am I glad I did?!!! It is in deed a dive, but in a cute, funky, you know this is gonna be good kind of way. There are several options of burgers and I went for the Wasabi Burger. It had a great flavor, not to spicy but just enough. The burger was big and juicy. The fries were great too, very crispy. Parking wasn't that had to find. A must if you're in Houston!!!!

• Visited April 2013