“Not a 5 star but the food is good and the price is right.” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #2,923 of 7,278 Restaurants in Houston
Cuisines: Seafood
Houston, Texas
“Not a 5 star but the food is good and the price is right.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

I've visited Mambo's on 4 occasions with my wife. Most of the customers are usually of Mexican American decent. Today we were the only Caucasian customers that I could see and the place was full. So it is a very popular spot for Mexican Americans since the food is more Mexican style seafood. There's always a lively atmosphere and the service has been excellent. Dress is casual. Their seafood style rice is delicious. It has shrimp added and is a treat. The fish plate with shrimp is my favorite even though it's one of the least priced items on the menu. You get 3 pieces of fish (Cod I believe) and 6 small fried shrimp with rice and a roll. Not bad. Only iced tea and coffee refills are free. Refills on beverages (Coke etc) are not free. I've found this to be the only restaurant I've visited which does not have free refills on those type drinks. Mambo's is nothing classy but it is clean and we're always treated well by the employees. You can compare Mambo's to Willies in Houston if you've ever been there.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Little Elm, Texas, United States
“Cheap seafood, cold beers!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Mambo is about having a nice dose of seafood and a cold "Michelada". Calamari is super fresh, thay feature Gator Gar, delicious!

Visited January 2013
DeLand, Florida
“Good Food and Lots of It - Place is not fancy and not real Clean”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

The food was great but the place is messy and the service is not too good either! There was a piece of chewed gum stuck to the top of the roll of paper towels on our table - the seats had salad dressing splattered on them and the hot sauce bottle had drippins all over it...we were hungry and tired so we still ate here and the food wasvery good and there was lots of it! Clean up the place and it would be great!

Visited January 2013
corpus christi,texas
“Great seafood, great value!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

This restaurant was recommended by a co-worker who is a Houston native. The food was excellent, and reasonably priced. Wait staff was very polite, but very slow. Could have been because we went on a Saturday night, and the restaurant was very busy. The supposedly "world famous" Mambo rice was nothing more than Chinese-food style shrimp fried rice. It was good, but I was not expecting this at a Mexican style seafood restaurant.

• Visited October 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Ocala, FL
“Good Oysters, bad everything else.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

I ventured to Mambo's because I was told by a local that this place had fresh seafood and an all around good place to eat. I went on a Friday night with my family. The menu was very hard to understand. There were many options of seafood, but most of them were all fried. The side dishes were either fried or we could not figure out what they were. Our waitress was not helpfull at all. We ordered the calamari appetizer, which we never received. I ordered a combination platter, which consisted of fried fish, shrimp, stuffed crab, and spanish rice. The shrimp and fish were soaked in oil. I tried it, but it was not good and I could not eat it. My husband ordered the raw oysters, and they were delicious and big. We were never asked if we wanted something else to replace the meal that we tried to send back. I will never return to this establishment and do not recomment it.

• Visited June 2012