“Cafeteria Cajun” 3 of 5 stars

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Treebeards Restaurant
1100 Louisiana St, Houston, TX 77002 (Downtown)
(713) 752-2601
Neighborhood: Downtown
Vienna, Virginia
“Cafeteria Cajun”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2015

Cafeteria style Cajun food - very popular which means long lines and a but cramped seating. But the cleaning crews are efficient meaning tables turn over often and remarkably seating becomes available - just in time. Don't be intimidated by the crowds or you'll miss some wonderful gumbo or jambalaya - chicken, seafood, sausage, red beans and rice - warm bread and fantastic desserts. Makes for comfort eating and sleepy afternoons. In the tunnel under 1100 Louisiana. A local treasure and a tourist/visitor must-try - at last once!!

• Visited January 2015
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Houston, Texas
“Southern Comfort Food... no need to say more”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2014

The tunnel location is very convenient for a quick business lunch that is fresh and served fast. The catering is also fantastic and great value for the quality of food served. Red Beans and Rice are not to be missed while the special of the day (chicken fried chicken when I last went) is usually also great.

• Visited November 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Houston, Texas, United States
“Best Southern Cooking Restaurant in Houston!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Treebeards is one of my favorite restaurants. The food is always well prepared and delicious. You can't go wrong with the Red Beans and Rice. The Chicken Fried Chicken is always awesome especially with mashed potatoes. In the winter, the Chicken Dumplings will warm your insides. If you want something light, they have a great spinach salad. The regular salad with chicken is also good. If you do go, save room for dessert! The red velvet cake is wonderful and so is my favorite - the yellow cake with chocolate icing. Brownies, cookies and buttercakes will also do the trick.

Visited October 2014
Spokane, Washington, United States
“Not allergy friendly, or regular friendly”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2014

I was visiting family in Houston and they recommended Treebeards in The Tunnel for good Cajun food, although they were not sure if they had gluten-free options. (I'm allergic to gluten) My sister in-law researched their food online and decided that I could probably have their red beans and rice. We patiently waited to the side of the line until there was nobody left in line so that I could explain to the gentleman at the counter that I am allergic to gluten and if he know if he had any allergy-friendly options. He scoffed and stormed off without saying anything and walked to the kitchen, where I could see the blank looks on the faces of the other staff. He came back and spoke so quickly that all I understood was "the red beans and rice should be ok" and when I asked about the sausage to go in the beans and rice, he was so rude/loud that I don't even know what he said. He made me feel awful! My family recognized his behavior and repeatedly apologized to me for having gone there. It is embarrassing enough to have a food allergy and know it can cause an inconvenience to the establishment by having to explain which meals are safe, so I ordered the red beans and rice with sausage, which was completely bland, just so I could quickly get out of there. I expected more flavor, but it was a bowl of overdone mushy beans with no flavor except a bit of heat. Not only am I confident that I could make a better meal at home, I broke out in a rash, due to my gluten allergy. So it was an all around bad experience, which is a shame because the restaurant had a cool name and a pretty atmosphere.

• Visited October 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Austin, Texas
“In case you are wondering about the name of the place...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

I've seen a couple reviews noting that the restaurant's name is strange... I'm pretty sure it is a reference to the Spanish moss that is (hopefully still) prevalent in the bayous of Louisiana where much of their menu originated. Spanish moss hangs like ZZ Top's beards from incredible cypress huge oak trees throughout this region. And aside from 'bearded trees' the region is known for incredibly friendly people and out-of-this-world flavorful food. I grew up there so perhaps I'm a little biased. So anyway, the Treebeards restaurant in the tunnels of downtown Houston certainly does not have the ambiance of lapping bayou waters. But the food is pretty good, the people are friendly, and the to-go orders come out insanely fast. Since it's only open for lunch I guess you won't be planning to spend hours with friends visiting over a meal here like you would in 'the boot' (Louisiana) so flavor is provably more important than ambiance. This place delivers on flavor. I personally had the seafood gumbo and the shrimp étouffée and can recommend both. If a restaurant can do those two items right, the rest of the menu is sure to be on point as well.

• Visited July 2014