“Excellent Sunday morning fare!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Shade

Shade
250 W 19th St, Houston, TX 77008-4010 (Greater Heights)
713-863-7500
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Outdoor seating
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Greater Heights
Houston, Texas
“Excellent Sunday morning fare!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

I have eaten here numerous times over the past 10 years, with my most recent visit being this past Sunday. My husband and I are always looking for nice places to eat after church; and Shade is one of our favorites. They open at 9:00am on Sunday, which works perfectly for us. At this hour, their atmosphere is quiet and inviting, however, that will dissipate as they become busier and their child friendly attitude is realized; so, if quiet is important go early. Otherwise, the food has always been consistently good. They have always been eager to make or customize your food experience in any way they can, to make your experience a delicious one. My husband & I have tried countless options on their menu and have never been disappointed. An interesting note; I usually I get hooked on a restaurant because of a specific dish they do outstandingly and continue to go back for that dish but Shade is one of those lovely exceptions. There were several items I wanted to try, which kept me coming back. With each new dish experience, I was hooked that much more! There is not one dish but many that bring Shade to my mind for a lovely Sunday morning delicious experience. So, my suggestion is to come now, come often, and ENJOY!!

• Visited July 2014

Houston, Texas
“Great Salade Nicoise & Martinis!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

Great food and service. The Salad Nicoise is made with quail eggs, makes an interesting combination. Highly recommend.

• Visited May 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Austin, TX
“This is a really fine place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

I've returned to Shade several times now and can say it's consistent. Other than high ceilings the interior is pleasant but nothing special, but the visuals are not the priority--the food and drink are, and I've been pleasantly surprised or even amazed every time I've eaten dinner here. This time around the dinner special, tender grilled duck-breast (a bit rarer than the medium-rare I'd ordered. My companion's grilled salmon was similarly translucent, though she wasn't complaining) was made even better by the concentrated, intense cherry demiglace that accompanied it, together with smooth ricotta mashed potatoes and tiny grilled asparagus spears. The chef at Shade always makes sure you notice the sides as much as the centerpiece--they can be surprising, but never strange or off-putting. I also liked the spring green salad very much, again because of the accompaniments--almonds and a dollop of lemon-infused goat cheese, a refreshing idea. Quite often after I've ordered dessert at a restaurant like this I've regretted the extra calories--not so here. Sticky toffee pudding was decadent and delicious, and my dessert special, fresh peach shortcake, was heavenly--fresh peaches sandwiched between two genuine biscuits with clouds of whipped cream, nothing too sweet or cloying, just perfect. Just as a point of information the artisanal cheese plate is worth ordering either as an appetizer or dessert. I'm looking forward to my next great meal here.

• Visited June 2014
Warwick, England
“Lived up to its name on a hot day”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014

Lovely cool simple interior. Delicious salads but our server was at best ambivalent. In fact she seemed a bit put out that we did not order wine oe appetizers. I would however definitely go back.

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Great place to gather!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Our girls night out and our rescue board meet here from time to time for cocktails and dinner and we just love it! The food and drinks are outstanding!

Visited March 2014