“Six dots if I could” 5 of 5 stars

(713) 524-6922
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Sparrow Bar + Cookshop is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #798 of 7,487 Restaurants in Houston
Transit: HCC/Ensemble Light Rail Stop
Stow, Ohio
“Six dots if I could”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

We had a great meals and a great time in their very relaxed atmosphere.They let us build our meals from the basic selections on the menu. Our server was knowledgeable and gave us a lot of ideas once we started asking questions. They told us that the menu changes by 40% each day, so you are not likely to see the same thing twice. Very fresh food. Veggies were just right. Interesting drink and wine list. We went with another couple and we all agreed that it was one of the best meals any of us have had.

• Visited January 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

El Paso, Texas
“Pleasant surprise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

My husband and I stumbled upon this place. The food was fresh and flavorful. My only negative was the portion size. I ordered the goat barbacoa tacos and for $22 my plate only came with two. Our morning cheese plate also only had 4 minuscule pieces of cheese for $15. I understand the concept of the restaurant and appreciated the experience but felt the portions could have been a bit more generous.

• Visited January 2014
“Expect the Unexpected”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

We recently visited Sparrow because we thought it sounded like an interesting and different place - which it definitely was. If we hadn't had the address, we would have driven right by it - not a prominent location. The place was fairly small with a definite industrial feel. High open ceilings with unusual light fixtures; metal tables and chairs; felt cold and uninviting. However, we were there for the food, so we stayed. Menu not your usual fare, by any means. I had the ribeye which was very good and the best thing that the six of us ordered. Side dishes are ordered separately; everything was OK but I will admit that the brussel sprouts, which I don't like, were outstanding. Desserts were quite good. Overall, I would have said I would go back - until we got the check. Ouch! If you go, be prepared. With 1 drink each, shared appetizers, entrees, and shared desserts, our bill was about $100 per person.

• Visited November 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Great Brussel Sprouts!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

I went here for lunch and really enjoyed the vegetarian offerings and my guest had a build your own burger which he stated was outstanding. You must get the crispy brussel sprouts and the market vegetables. I am not a big fan of brussel sprouts or okra and this restaurant's preparation changed my mind. Servers were attentive and atmosphere was enjoyable.

• Visited October 2013
Houston, Texas
“Some great things but some real disappointments”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

Our party of four had two extremely good dishes, the hanger steak and the scallops, one pretty good dish, the venison, and one disappointing dish, the triple tail fillet which was just a piece of fish without much of anything to recommend it over Mrs. Paul's. We also had three side dishes that were among the very best of their type we'd ever had. The Brussels Sprouts were so good that our Brussels Sprout hater loved them. The Mac and Cheese side dish was the best I've ever had as well.

There were two other disappointments. Our hot appetizer arrived cold. And one of our desert items had what I consider to be an inexcusable flaw. Despite a fancy Italian name that I've forgotten, it amounted to home made vanilla ice cream with some English toffee and a mixture of nuts and popcorn. It was delicious but had two kernels of unzipped popcorn in the small dish. One we could believe but two indicates carelessness.

We loved Tafia but we found Sparrow to be a mixed bag. Some excellent and some... disappointing.

• Visited November 2013