“Makes my taste buds sing!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hugo's

Hugo's
1602 Westheimer Rd, Houston, TX 77006 (Neartown/ Montrose)
713-524-7744
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #31 of 7,205 restaurants in Houston
Cuisines: Mexican, Contemporary
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Bar scene, Doing business, Local cuisine, Outdoor seating, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Neartown/ Montrose
Lake Jackson, Texas
“Makes my taste buds sing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

A trendy looking restaurant with unusual Mexican food, incredibly flavorful - the chefs seem to give the same care to every item sent out on a plate. Every morsel is carefully prepared and exquisitely seasoned - a great variety of unusual dishes - I'd hardly call this Mexican, more like. . southwest chic? Nice selection of vegetarian dishes.
I often order a "Plate of Vegetables" dish that has, among other things, a tiny corn pudding/flan made from fresh corn, that's JUST right, not too sweet, floats off the plate onto my fork, I swear. The nopalita? salad (prickly pear strips) has just the right tang. The grilled asparagus had a very smoky/grilled flavor, yet still maintained a light crunch. YUM!!!
My husband ordered from the lunch menu also .. "Tostadas de Atún | tostadas made with guajillo pepper marinated tuna, refritos, nopales and napa cabbage" that came out as a beautiful pair of tostadas, stacked with all those goodies.
The Sunday brunch is exquisite, but a bit crowded and noisy - not unbearably so, . . perhaps because the ceilings are so high. Once I went back for some lightly breaded, sauteed fish I'd liked, so my husband could sample it .. they were out of that, but they replace on the buffet with other dishes, not just leaving empty spots. I asked our server what kind of fish it was . and later, he brought out a freshly prepared fillet for my husband!! (It's heavenly, btw, . rainbow trout).
The Hugo-rita is wonderful, just the way I like a margarita. Not too sweet. Very strong. Shaken and poured at your table. They've sold me on non-frozen margaritas with that 'rita.
AND, to top it all off... We saw a man standing in the lobby last time we were there, as we were leaving .. My husband noticed an "H" on his vest, different from the other waiters, and something about his demeanor. .. anyhow .. we thought he might be Hugo, so I asked. And he said yes. We told him how much we enjoyed the place and how glad we were to find it, and he had the most beautiful attitude, gently grateful, warm, and seemed genuinely, humbly pleased at our brief compliments. .. Classy guy.
I can only give it four stars on "ambiance" because it has no cozy areas . .it's rather open, and not well soundproofed. However, it's tolerable because of its high ceilings, lovely decor, and exquisite food and service. If you go during the week, before noon, it's not very crowded, and sooooooo good!

87% Recommend
London, United Kingdom
“Wish they were here!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

Totally agree with all others who said that food deserve 5 stars, everything, everything were just awesome, if you want to taste real Mexican food this is the right place,pity we had our dinner there only once, because I couldn't decide what to have, everything sounded so interesting
And the best cocktail I've ever had was there, their raspberry Mojito is so so so good!
If you are in Houston you just must go there, and you won't be dissapointed

Chicago
“Exceptional and artful Mexican cuisine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Everything was fresh, delicious, and well-made. Excellent wine list. In Chicago, we'd have paid about three times as much for this quality of fine Mexican!

Visited November 2012
Toronto, Canada
“Mexican fine dining at its best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

We popped in for what we thought would be a quick lunch. One look at the menu, and we settled in for the long haul. Gorgeous food, delicious cocktails, wonderful service. Highly recommended.

Visited March 2012
Toronto, Canada
“Best Restaurant in Houston”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I must admit, I have not been to every restaurant in Houston but I have been to many and this is the best.
Upscale authentic Mexican food, absolutely delicious and very different from some of the more upscale restaurants in the city. Highly recommended.