“Best soup ever!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Late Night
Houston, Texas
“Best soup ever!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

I love the environment of this place. They are fast and effective. They have a large menu. You should try the Chicken in a pot. It's to die for. Matzah balls, chicken, vegetables and a tasteful broth. Prices are super reasonable.
My only complaint is the parking. Usually I park across the street and there's no traffic lights to cross to the restaurant. The curve is dangerous. The city of Houston should do something about this.
Deli is 5 stars, though. Love it.

New York City, New York
“It's not NYC, but it'll do”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

The experience at this place is nothing like the famous Katz's in NYC where you get the real deli experience. This is more of a sit down restaurant with a bar and a couple of tvs showing the game.

The menu is extensive (not as bad as Cheesecake Factory) but for place that tries to be a deli, it's got more restaurant type plates.

The only disappointment was my order of onion rings. Compared to my pastrami sandwich, the onion rings were a much smaller portion, about the size of a small order of fries at McDonald's -- a little disappointing given the price.

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Not a true Deli”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

Katz is not a true Deli. I ordered a corn beef on pumpernickel and was told we don't have pumpernickel??? What .... aren't you a Deli? So I ordered a Reuben and the waiter asked what kind of bread. I was SHOCKED! A Reuben always come on marbled Rye bread! And like before no marbled rye bread!! So I settled for plain rye bread. When I got my sandwich I was SO DISSAPOINTED!!! The little piece of rye bread was not even half the size it should be so that I could pick up the sliced piece. The cheese wasn't even melted!!! I asked for the manager and he apologized and didn't charge me for the sandwich. I won't be back! This restraint is not the place to go for a true deli experience (try Nelsons Deli on Richmond) and Katz is WAY OVERPRICED!!!!!

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Wales
“Great!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

Great hearty food, reasonable prices and good service. Perfect place to grab a quick bite in Montrose

Visited November 2012
Houston
“Katz's Never Closes - But this will get them closed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I have been to Katz's many times. They are always busy. The food is okay. The fried beef bacon is perfect at 2:00 am after clubbing and they are near many clubs in the Montrose area. However, they are woefully understaffed, especially at the bar. The lady at the bar, and her helper, who both shall remain nameless (though I remember their names) seem to be both overworked, not well trained and lacking common sense. When the wrong meal came, I could not get the woman's attention so I started eating. When the right meal came, the man asked me if I could switch out the toast for the muffins. I said no, and started to explain to him the eggs were also wrong, there were no condiments on my correct one he brought out, etc., but didn't tell him that switching food, with his hands, no gloves, on the counter, from the plate of a patron is a clear violation of health code laws. So, my suggestion is, IF you are going to go, go when it is not busy. They still need better training.

• Visited September 2013