“Nice casual dining” 4 of 5 stars

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
The Bombay Brasserie
2414 University Blvd. Suite 210, Houston, TX 77005 (University Place)
(713) 355-2000
Neighborhood: University Place
Houston, Texas
“Nice casual dining”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Food is 3 stars, but service is decidedly 5 stars... so I'll compromise with a 4!
I have been here several times for the lunch buffet over the years, but this was my first time time for dinner, and the service we received was fantastic.
We arrived just before 6 p.m. on a Sunday evening and were given a choice between the patio or inside. We chose to dine inside and were seated immediately. The waiter even pulled out my chair and placed my napkin across my lap, which is rare these days outside of a fancy restaurant.

We started with the Chef's Platter appetizer ($9.95) which contained a large vegetable samosa, vegetable pakoras, tandoori chicken and lamb bites. The tandoori chicken was great, and I will likely order an entire entree of it next time. The skin was crispy without being breaded - really flavorful. I had never eaten pakoras before, but I'm now a fan. They were light and crunchy yet still contained distinct vegetable flavor. Two small samosas would have been preferred, but we were able to cut the large one in half without creating too much mess. While the platter was suggested for two, it could have easily fed four. We finished the whole plate, nonetheless.

For our entrees we decided to share the Prawn Masala ($15.95) and Chicken Vindaloo ($13.95), Onion Kulcha (similar to naan - $3.95), and Mattar Pullao (basmati rice - $3.95). The masala sauce was very thick and flavorful, but the shrimp (I'm pretty sure these were shrimp and not actually prawns) were a little tough, as if they had been cooked about a minute too long. However, they were very large and fresh. I ended up eating spoonfuls of the sauce after we'd finished the shrimp. It was THAT good.
Chicken Vindaloo is a staple for my husband at Indian restaurants, and he enjoyed it very much. The chicken was tender and the sauce was on point, but despite the fact we were warned twice that it was "very spicy," we didn't notice any overwhelming spice. In fact, we both agreed it could have used a bit more.
We ordered the Onion Kulcha at the recommendation of our server, when we asked him which naan was his favorite.The Onion Kulcha was very good, but not really what we were expecting. We were thinking it would be like a naan with onions grilled into the bread, but instead it was more of a naan quesadilla, and every square inch of the bread was stuffed with sweet grilled onions. Really tasty and a bit greasy (in the best way possible), but not exactly a perfect substitute when you're craving a doughy, flaky naan. We'll order one of the traditional naan varieties next time.
I usually have nothing noteworthy to say about rice and I was initially annoyed to learn that rice was not included in the cost of our dishes, but Bombay's Mattar Pullao was sooo aromatic and fragrant and definitely worth the extra charge. There was a nice large cinnamon stick tucked down inside the bowl, and the dish was topped with green peas.

Throughout the meal, the servers were quick to refill our water glasses without us having to ask, and they stopped by several times to make sure we were enjoying everything we'd ordered. When we were finished eating, they were quick to clear our dishes and offer us a hot towel for our hands and mouth. I'm not sure why but this impressed me very much. I can't remember the last time I was offered a hot towel at any restaurant. As we were presented with the bill, we were also given a gratis bowl of pistachio ice cream and two spoons, which was another unexpected surprise. They must have known we were discussing whether or not to head to Cloud 10 for dessert. The ice cream was sooo tasty (Blue Bell, maybe?) and the portion was just enough to satisfy our post-dinner sweet tooth, and was definitely a welcomed treat.
One more thing worth mentioning is that we saw a couple of patio diners with their dogs leashed up beside them. I am a big fan of any place that is dog-friendly, so this is a big plus for me. We will be back very soon!

• Visited July 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

india
“Good decor but bad food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

First of all the server should not be pushing expensive appetizers. Anyway the food is not fresh and has average taste. When we said that the chana is not good and has too much ginger, the response was that it is good for stomach rather than saying let me get it fixed or get you sonething else. Same was the story with dal makhani. Paneer dish barely has paneer. It has more green pepper and onion chunks. Overall an average place. A shame that such a nice place is not serving finger licking food.

nyk
“Good Indian food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

The food was good , but more so, catering towards universal crowd, therefore I can understand some Indian crowd finding some dishes bland.....
the vegetarian dishes were decently good ,in the non veg , some of the chicken dishes were cooked well. We had a big gathering and the arrangement was made well and the buffet had a good spread. The desert variety could have been better. Overall was a good experience with food and ambience.
But if I am around would like to try it out again...

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Houston, Texas
“Poor service...bland food...Spoiled my birthday! Would never visit again.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

My biggest mistake...I decided to go to have dinner at Bombay Brasserie to celebrate my birthday today. After watching a good movie we reached the place at around 9:35 PM (also after taking a full circle to find parking). After 5 mins of wait, one person came to attend us to be told that "we have started process to close the kitchen. It takes us 1 hour to clean the kitchen hence I can not dine-in and can only order a to go.". This is a Friday and their official closure time is 10:30 PM. I was shocked with such treatment. I have been to many countries and have never seen any restaurant turning away dine-in customers almost 1 hours before closure time. We requested that it is still good 50 mins to go before restaurant closure and if we can dine-in but person said that is not possible. Finally as my kid was hungry, we decided to order to go. We ordered Lamp Rogan Josh, Lamb Biryani, Naan and Mango Lassi. Surprisingly my 'to go' order was ready in less than 10 mins while my Lassi came later. They gave a complimentry lassi too! Finally after a spoiled evening, when we had food at home, it turned out to be bland rogan josh with hard meat and flavorless biryani. Though quantity was aplenty, food was not up to the mark as I had expected.

Mr. Narin Sehgal, you need to have a serious look at your staff or otherwise put details in your website that dine-in customers need to be at restaurant at least 1 hour before the closure time so that people don't get their special days/evenings spoiled like mine.

I wish I could give a zero star. I would never recommend anyone and would never visit again.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Houston, Texas, USA
“Great Indian Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

I like to go for the lunch buffet. They have a pretty good selection that always tastes great! The dessert is awesome! Rice pudding and dounut balls. The waitstaff is very attentive and always smiling.

Kind of Americanized without too many spices which after eating at a more authentic restaurant on Hillcroft (Little India), I've decided that I actually like the less spiced food better.

Visited October 2013