“Randip” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Backstreet Cafe

Backstreet Cafe
1103 S Shepherd Dr, Houston, TX 77019 (Neartown/ Montrose)
713-521-2239
Neighborhood: Neartown/ Montrose
Wokingham, United Kingdom
“Randip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

I think this restaurant is great. Lots of choice, also brilliant choice for vegetarians - has a separate vegetarian menu. It has a great atmosphere and has some outdoor seating.

Kuwait City, Kuwait
“7 hours in Houston, I picked Backstreet Cafe”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

I was in Houston for a 7 hour lay over and couldn't decide where to eat. I ended up at Backstreet Cafe for lunch. It was an ok experience, mainly because I was not impressed by my main course. I ordered the green tomato salad as a starter and it was DELICIOUS. So refreshing and light, with a perfect dressing. My duck, however, wasn't as amazing. The sauce was overpowering, I could barely taste the duck. I was mostly underwhelmed by my meal. I wanted it to be so much more.
My cousin loved his food and he's a regular there. I tried the steak he ordered and it was delicious.
I would have loved to try their brunch. It's very hard to pick because the menu's quite large; I wish I ordered anything other than the duck!

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Houston, Texas
“Wonderful Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

I eat here fairly often for birthdays and special occasions primarily for lunch. The food is always excellent and the staff is very friendly and accommodating.

Visited September 2012
HOUSTON
“Was expecting more...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

Have always wanted to dine there, had my chance. Nothing was particularly wrong, it just didn't impress. Seemed a bit pricey, but that is the way of the world. The complimentary parking is nice for some, but some guests won't valet for safety reasons, so parking can be a challenge. The steak served a table mate was 'okay'.
The other thing was the restroom. I do not understand why a high end restaurant such as Backstreet can't you fix the wobbly toilets

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Houston,Texas
“Too little, way too late, never AGAIN !! Shape up or Shut down”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

Backstreet overbooked the restaurant. The staff was running around like crazy. No bartender, just next man up if you needed a drink ! Our party of six people had our food order so messed up it made the night unbearable. Most of the food tasted good, a few of the items were lukewarm (not good for a high end restaurant). When the food came out of the kitchen, the staff put the wrong food in front of the wrong people and one of the couples were eating another couples food because our server was so busy RUNNING around waiting his other tables, neglecting our table. Our waiter and the floor manager never came back to our table to ask how is the food, etc. Finally one of our party got the attention of one staff and ask where their food was ! From that point on it went downhill. The Manager only comped 2 desserts. He should have comped one of the couples meal. Marc B.,the waiter, was pleasant but he was way in over his head in serving our group-teribble service and even poorer management. Do you hear me HUGO ? Because we won't be back !!!!

• Visited October 2012