“Disappointed...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Prego Italian Cuisine

Prego Italian Cuisine
2520 Amherst St, Houston, TX 77005 (University Place)
(713) 529-2420
Neighborhood: University Place
Amarillo, Texas
“Disappointed...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

I had an acquaintance recommend this place to me and my family. The place was super crowded but worse it was so loud in there that the host couldn't even hear that we were telling him that we had a party of 4. We were then sat right next to the entrance and menus were SHOVED at us. Everything they put down onto the table was placed so loudly that I wasn't sure if it was meant to scare us.
The atmosphere was low lit and intimate but the amount of noise in the place would rival a football stadium. The waiter was abrupt and crass. I worked as a waitress for 5 years so I know all about customer service. I was really disappointed that this guy didn't even want to talk to my children. That my rather shy 12 year old was trying to tell him that he wanted ravioli and the waiter just dismissed him and asked my husband and I what he wanted.
The food was good. Meaning, it was edible. It had so much going on. I've never wanted to eat a plate of food having each item on the plate not touching but this time I really couldn't taste anything because there was so much going on that it was overwhelming.
I had the Pollo Martenallo... it was 'good'. But I would have to try something else. My husband and children had the same opinion about their food.... sad to say.
For the price you pay for the food, you would hope for friendly service and just amazing food. And the best I can say is that it was 'okay'.

• 3 of 5 stars Food

Houston TX
“Reliably outstanding!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

This place is a favorite from long ago that I have not visited in a while. My wife recently went there for a business lunch and raved about it so much that we had to go back for dinner. The halibut was excellent, and their three pepper soup has always been a favorite of mine. This is a grsat place to dine, friendly, efficient service. It can be a little noisy when crowded, but I do not find that a problem except for hearing aids.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Barrigada, Guam
“Finest soft shell crabs of all time.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

The soft shell crabs had my brother-in-law calling this the "finest culinary experience of his entire life".

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Richmond
“Nice Italian Near Rice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

This is a nice Italian restaurant near Rice. The restaurant is fairly upscale in a nice shopping district. We attend dinner with a boys volleyball team, so there were 19 of us. The restaurant could not have been more accommodating. The waiter was very pleasant and even allowed separate checks. The rockfish special entree was perfect. Everyone was pleased except one who thought the pizza was not very good. I did find the specialty cocktails to be small and weak. This is a very good choice if looking for Italian in Houston.

• Visited June 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Texas
“Open on Sunday evening in the village”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

Good Italian, fresh pasta, very good cappresse salad, good wine list. Perfect place for relaxing Sunday evening dinner with friends. I would definitely go back.

Visited June 2014