“Dear God, make the singing stop.....” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #471 of 6,949 Restaurants in Houston
Cuisines: American, Continental
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Stonehollow Dr.
Houston, Texas
“Dear God, make the singing stop.....”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2011

The food here is ok, it's not that. What will really make you look for Allen Funt and the hidden camera is that you are TRAPPED and held hostage while regaled with "lounge lizard" music from the owners who are so obviously enamored with what they think is musical skill that you will want to claw your way out of the building. You are so grateful when they stop singing that you won't know what to do except pray for that moment. It is hard to swallow your food while you're throwing up in your mouth from their music. Seriously. And then when they inform the audience that their CDs are available for purchase, it is all you can do not to laugh out loud. NEVER again, ever, ever, ever.

• Visited October 2011
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Humble, Texas, United States
“An experience that I will never forget!!!!!!!!!!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2011

My 38th birthday was Oct. 2 and I wanted to find some upscale dining close by the house. The Veranda was listed as 1 of 2 restaurants in the humble/kingwood area that fit my taste. The menu choices looked absolutely delicious! So, I called to make reservations for 7pm that evening. Big Mistake.
We arrived and were seated in a back corner. Dinner service was slow. It took at least 15 minutes to get our drinks. When we were seated, there were 3 other tables occupied in our dining room (2 with 4 people, and 1 with 2). It took more than 45 minutes to get the appetizers served. My wife’s appetizer (Asparagus Cappuccino) was terrible. My duck was “undercooked” and had to be taken back. At 8:05, I was still waiting on the duck. The bread that was served with the appetizers was partially burnt, looking like it had just come off of the grill. An hour and half into dinner service our entrees arrive. My wife ordered the Lamb 2 ways. It was the worst lamb she had ever had. The chef obviously didn’t know how to cook lamb. I ordered the New York Strip Steak. It literally tasted like meatloaf. It was topped with a “fig like sauce”. I have never tasted a steak like this, it was terrible! The lentils served with both entrees were bad as well. My green beans were the best thing that I had that night. Overall, the food was poorly prepared, the cost was too high (we paid over $100), and the service was too slow.
The highlight of the evening was the atmosphere and entertainment. Pat and Ray did a wonderful job singing and playing. However, one thing truly “left a bad taste in our mouth”. After their set, Pat made the rounds--going around to each table to greet and thank their guests. There were 5 tables occupied at the end of their set and she went to everyone (including the table adjacent to us) but not us. We were the only black patrons there so it was felt extremely awkward being overlooked in this fashion. We were there for almost 2 hours, less than 15 feet away from your performance area, in direct line of sight, so you can’t convince me that you just didn’t see us. We weren’t loud, abrasive, or in anyway, intimidating. But the terrible food, the slow service, the high prices, and the “special treatment” afforded to us the owners ensured that we would never, ever, ever recommend or come back to the Veranda.

• Visited October 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Sadly disappointed...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2011

We just ate at the Veranda and were expecting a great meal because of the reputation and expensive prices. In fact, I never write reviews on restaurants, but I feel compelled to write one on this one because we spend A LOT of money on food that so-so. We had the salmon and the filet mignon, and both were just okay. When the dessert (bread pudding) came, we were hoping that would be good. The bread pudding was hard and just BAD. It tasted like it had been in a refrigerator for a long time.

The Veranda looks it could be cozy from the outside, but it lacks that cozy feel inside. I wish I could think of how they could improve this, but I'm not sure. I am so bummed to write this but need to because I feel strongly about our experience.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Houston, Texas
“Terrible food, with a high price tag.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2010

We went to Veranda last weekend just to try out a new restaurant. The online infomation and menu looked very promising. But the truth could never be so disappointing. The food is just flat out aweful. The appetizers and soup were mediocre at the best. The entrees were so salty that two out four of us simple couldn't eat at all. I had one bite of my son's steak. The salty taste in my mouth lasted whole night. I can't believe ANY CHEF will serve their food with so much salt (I thought I liked heavy seasoned food). Now I read the reviews from others (should have done that before I went), it appeared that salty food is their "signiture". Sorry, never again will I visit that place.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Houston, Texas
“Quite a disappointment - Never again!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2010

I had purchased a $25 gift certificate for the Veranda from Restaurant.com, so when my son wanted to take me out for my birthday, I suggested we give this a try. We printed out the menu that was provided and made a plan for what we could order within his budget. Unfortunately, the menu at the Restaurant was completely different - more expensive and not the same appetizers & entrees which we had planned on before - VERY MISLEADING. Anyway,

He called to make the reservation and was asked if he would like for them to surprise me with a Creme Brulee with a candle in it and he said that would be very nice. He was the one extremely surprised to see a charge of $6.00 for this surprise for his mom. I told him if you're going to be charged anyway, at least let the customer choose which dessert they would like to have..I would have much preferred some cheesecake instead of the "Burnt sugar Creme brulee" Heavy on the burnt - I had to take the burnt topping off so I could eat the brulee part. Most restaurants treat a birthday person with a complimentary dessert...but not this over-priced restaurant.

Also, the crab cake I ordered (cost of $10.00) was mostly red and green peppers and not much crab. Very over-priced I thought for what I got....also, very little sauce with it. I took some of my son's bisque to put on it for more flavor. My entree was pretty good, except that the Diane sauce was quite salty - I asked my son about his and he agreed it was salty, but not bad.

And then, at the conclusion, the bill for the 2 of us was $112.00 - thank God we had a $25.00 discount, however the included gratuity was $16.00 which took up most of the $25.00 discount.

My poor son was so embarrased - he didn't have enough money to pay the $87.00. He said, All I have in my account is $78.00 and I don't get paid until next Friday, so I'll give you $60.00 and I'll wash your car for the rest....$7.00 for a glass of wine and $3.00 for a glass of tea - outrageous....The service was excellent; of course, we were the ONLY ones in the restaurant at the time (5:30). The ambiance is also quaint a very relaxining until you get the bill.

Never again...there are too many other restaurants to choose from that want your repeat business. Only the wealthy or those with an expense account, I believe, would continue to frequent this restaurant.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere