“Hidden Gem” 5 of 5 stars

713-807-0077
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Just Dinner is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #100 of 6,949 Restaurants in Houston
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Austin, Texas
“Hidden Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

Based on a recent PBS TV show, One Square Mile - Montrose, that featured this small neighborhood restaurant, we booked a dinner and gave it a try. The small house has been beautifully restored/remodeled. Contrary to other reviews, the service was excellent. We were greeted promptly and shown immediately to our table. The feel is of having dinner in an intimate home setting with family and friends. The wait staff were very knowledgeable and enjoyed sharing the details of the menu, ingredients and preparation of each dish. We loved the warm brie starter which came with small crackers, fruit, nuts, and honey/jam. This was followed by salad and soup, which were very fresh and lovely. For the main course, we enjoyed the special dinner that evening which was lamb with a wonderful olive based mediterranean sauce that was to die for. NOTE: This is a BYOB place, so be sure to bring your favorite bottle of wine (or other spirits). Reservations are a must.

• Visited April 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Houston, Texas
“amazing service, ok food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

My husband and I went to Just Dinner for a Friday date night. We were impressed by the excellent, attentive service. Our server immediately knew our dining preferences that we had noted on our reservation and was prepared for us the moment we walked in the door.

We were also happy with the ambiance of the restaurant. We felt like we were dining in someone's home, and the atmosphere was relaxed and romantic.

The disappointing part of the meal was the food. At $20-$25 an entree, we expected great food. Instead, we got ok food. Nothing was spectacular or stood out. We tried a vegetable appetizer, the fish special, the quinoa stuffed chard rolls, and the sorbet trio, and none of it wowed us. Also, we somehow missed that the restaurant is BYOB. We noted the corkage fee on the menu - $8 a bottle seemed rather high to us, but that may be standard.

If you want excellent service, check out Just Dinner. If you want an amazing meal, I would suggest going somewhere else.

• Visited March 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Houston
“Worth waiting all those times we couldn't get a reservation!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

My wife and I have tried to go to this restaurant for months, but finally struck gold when we went to celebrate some good news. First, it is refreshing to sit in a restaurant that is full and still be able to speak in a low normal voice and hear each other! Extra romance credits right there. The waitstaff certainly took their time with us, but on the other hand we certainly didn't feel rushed. Each item was delicious and quite special. I had braised short ribs; the meat was succulent, and the portion size more than generous. My wife enjoyed the special pot roast slow cooked in beer...fabulous dish. Split dessert as we were quite full already. As it was BYOB and a special occasion, we polished off a Brunello while we slowly feasted. Will be back...if we can get back in!

• Visited February 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Houston, Texas
“Horrible service; ok food Best feature is BYOB”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014 via mobile

I've been 4 times and the service has always been poor. You can be ignored when you walk in for up-to 10 minutes- which is awkward when you realize how few diners the place accommodates. The waiters tend to be snooty without anything to back it up. The food is uninspired but edible.

• Visited February 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Houston, Texas
“Great Foor and Great Hosts”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014

I absolutely love this place...it's one of the best restaurants in Houston hands down. Like another reviewer I hesitated to write this review because it is somewhat a Houston diners little secret. plus it's BYOB so you don't to worry about paying some exorbitant amount of money for your vino.
The owner and Chef Andrew is not only an amazing chef but he has quiet the personality as well. His wife is also a big part of what's going on in the dining area. She orchestrates the staff and has done the decorating right down to the seeming missed matched flatware.
Last time I was there we started out with the cheese plate which is basically a meal in itself and it's only like $9.00! When talking to Andrew I told him he should raise the price of it...and believe me that's not normally something I do.
For an entree I got the roast beef which I was lucky because it goes fast and when it's gone for the night it's gone. My wife got a grilled fish entree. As usual they both were outstanding. For the most part the menu changes nightly depending on what Andrew wants to cook and what he can get his hands on. No matter what I have never been disappointed in the food.
When you go check out the unisex restroom...very interesting and chic.

Visited November 2013