“Love it” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
“Love it”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Great Cuban Sanwiches and the lunch buffet is wonderful. They also have really good coffee and pastries.

Visited June 2013

81% Recommend
Houston, Texas
“Disappointed on sangria, prices and lack of things available”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I was so disappointed from the beginning at this place. I saw on the menu that a natural fruit juice is $6. What? For that side of town? Sometimes I don't know who people think they are to set those prices. My Dad and I ordered a sangria and we were insulted. What did we get for $6? Cheap sangria from a bottle on a wine glass. That was it. A very bad quality sangria on a wine glass, not a homemade sangria with fruits on it. That is the first time I have been served sangria that way in a restaurant. Also I wanted the avocado salad and they were out of avocados. What restaurant runs out of avocados in July? Bad planning on the manager's part. Their prices could be lower. The pastries are good. Customer service is OK. Waitress didn't seem to care about our dissatisfaction with the sangria. I don't know how this place is still open with those prices and what they serve you.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Houston, Texas
“Pretty good Cuban food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

We have eaten here a few times and went again earlier this month. I am Cuban and like Cuban food. The food is very authentic and everything I have had has been good.
My favorite is the roast pork. Every Sunday, they roast a whole pig and carve and serve until its gone. It is tasty, and even better with a little mojo (light garlic sauce). The congri or moros (rice cooked in black beans) is as good as I have ever had. The yucca with mojo and fried plantains are also very good. My wife always orders the ropa vieja (shredded beef) cooked in a very light tomato sauce. It is always good here. You can order it with white rice or congri as well as the plantains or yucca.

For appetizers last visit, we ordered the empanadas de ropa vieja and the ham croquets. They were both very good.

On Sundays, they play live Cuban music. It can be a little loud, so I always request the back room, and you can still hear it.

We ordered a Cuban sandwich to go to eat that night. If there is a dish here that I would not recommend this is it. The bread is not quite as good as the Miami Cuban bread and they go a little light on the ham and pork. However, it does give you an idea of what the sandwich is like, but it is not nearly as good the Miami sandwiches. On the other hand, Flor is a lot closer than Miami.

The flan (egg custard) for desert is always good. I find it a little sweeter than in Mexican restaurants. They have a small bakery near the front door of authentic Cuban pastries.

All in all, FLor de Cuba is consistent, authentic, and has always been good. They accept reservations.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Foxworth, Mississippi
“Excellent food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

The restaurant is in a shopping center off to the side so if you aren't careful you will pass it. It is not seeable from the road. The inside is nothing special but the food is great. They have a small (really small) buffet for lunch. It is enough of of a choice to fill your stomachs though. The service was nice. The waitresses didn't speak english fluently but their smiles and service made up for any confusion. The food will keep you coming back to this out of the way restaurant.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Greenville, South Carolina
“Delicious Cuban Cuisine!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

This was the third stop of an unofficial resturant tour for us (the goal was to try as many resturants in the Houston area as possible in a 7 day time frame). Since I am a lover of Cuban food, I sought this place out via the web. I was pleased with my experience at Flor de Cuba. Our server, was very pleasant. While I do not speak Spanish, I have eaten at enough Cuban resturants to enjoy the experience anyway. Since our server did not speak English, it was quite an adventure to try and order our food relying on Spanish "learned" as 10th graders! Luckily our server was patient; we were able to order the camarones al ajillo with yuca frita (which was fantastic) and the ropa vieja with yuca frita mojo (which was even better)! As is typical in any good Cuban resturant, we were too stuffed to have desert but I must say all of the pasteries (in their bakery) looked wonderful! While it is not a fancy resturant, for value, authenticity, service and taste, Flor de Casa is a winner.

• Visited April 2013