“Innovative lunch destination” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Bellaire, Texas
“Innovative lunch destination”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

Just had lunch at this rather new Houston restaurant. Despite dining in the casual part of the restaurant (Provisions), the food did not disappoint. Excellent attention to detail coupled with innovative interpretations on classic dishes resulted in a fine dining experience.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Dallas, Texas
“Great meal in houston”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

We ate at Provisions (which is the casual side of "pass and provisions") this restaurant recently got voted #6 in best new restaurants in the USA by Bon appetite magazine.

We were in Houston for the weekend visiting family, so couldn't resist trying it out.
The decor is gorgeous..sort of a trendy rustic feel. The "tablecloths" are giant paper menus...very cool.
And yes...The food was delicious
Oysters- fat plumb and briny
Bone marrow brioche- unusual as the bone marrow had been removed and mixed into the brioche bread. The empty bone was then filled with a tomatoe chutney style spread. Yum
Ham of the day- thinly cut ham with fabulous flavours
Suckling pig- oh my. This serves 2 ($55) and was the best. It tasted delicious and everyone on our table agreed it was the best
Table mates ordered the lobster roll and the pasta which whilst good paled next to the suckling pig.
Everyone was very friendly and accommodating. The bathrooms were über trendy and the wash area communal. I thought they were gorgeous and fit in with the rest of the decor
My only complaint at all was our waiter. So ..he was a great waiter, friendly and never left us sitting waiting. I just felt he was a little pushy in the beginning. His suggestions for the appetizers were great (brioche, ham and cheese) but quite forcibly "suggested" to where I felt bad saying no thanks. As it happened all his suggestions were great so I didn't come out feeling bitter at all.
I ordered a glass wine and he brought me a sample of it plus another glass which he suggested would go better with my meal. True the glass he brought did taste better but I am glad I looked at the menu as my glass was $10 and his replacement glass was $18. In that case I did say no thank you. He really knew his job but his style was just a little aggressive for me.
Finally to end on a high note we ordered the ten dollar milk shake and it was a malted milkskake with left hand milk stout added. I can't tell you how much I loved this!!!!!

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Houston, Texas
“Set your expectations properly and u won't be disappointed”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

If the expectation is to have fun with friends, for an imaginative dining experience, this is perfect. As mentioned by others, the portions are expectedly small, but getting the 8-course menu with wine pairing, it's actually perfect. Aside from the ridiculously awful wine pairing for the first course, the entire experience was fun and funky. Though considered "formal" dining, its atmosphere is decidedly cool and fun- I'm not sure if this would be a super romantic dinner place, but with the right group of foodie friends, it's whimsical and fun.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Houston, Texas
“Pass on Pass!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We had the 8 course with wine pairings. We were very disappointed in the whole experience. Portions were ridiculously small and only one of the courses was above average. Nothing was OMG wait until you taste this. Surprised Bon Appetit ranks this as the 6th Best New Restaurant in America. Everyone was still hungry when we left. Pass on Pass.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Houston, Texas, USA
“Very small portions for the price and just so so....”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

We went to Pass excited as we had enjoyed Provisions on two separate occasions. What a disappointment. Portions were very small and wine pairings novice. Predominantly Spanish wines. We commented (amongst ourselves) that we were still hungry and disappointed. The waiters heard our negative comments and brought our dessert to us in a "to go" box telling us they were out of time. This did not bode well with us as they were serving the other patrons their dessert course while treating us with disrespect. I asked why? They told us that we had been obnoxious regarding the food. We are very seasoned restaurant patrons and they could not take criticism regarding their food. Presentation was very nice and service good. It was just not worth the price. We will not be back to either restaurant because of the way we were treated. They do not need our business and that's life. Again, the Provisions restaurant is very fun and excellent food. I am sad this
happened on the other side.

• Visited August 2013