“Mussels & Frites” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #675 of 7,200 restaurants in Houston
Cuisines: Belgian, French, Bistro
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Description: If you remember Cafe Montrose, you'll love Cafe Brussels! Catherine Duwez returns with a cozy and romantic neighborhood Belgian Bistro. Enjoy Belgian favorites such as Moules Mariniere, Filet Poivre, Salmon Bearnaise, Carbonade, and of course the Fries! Both lunch and brunch feature three-course Prix Fixe options along with the full menu. And it all tastes best with Houston's largest selection of Belgian beers on tap as well as a huge selection of Belgian beers by the bottle. Sample well-known favorites such as Stella Artois and Hoegaarden; Chimay Blanche, Red and Blue; Westmalle Dubbel and Tripel; Maredsous 8 & 10; St. Feuillen, Rochefort, Orval, Duvel, Estiminet, St. Bernadus ABT 12, Leffe, Blanche du Bruxelles, Kwak, Lindeman Frambois, Rodenbach and Palm. Other beers available seasonally.
Houston, Texas
“Mussels & Frites”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

I stopped here for the Restaurants Weeks menu and had a great meal. The owner is very helpfull and the food is great. If you are a fan of Belgian beer and Belgian continental food with place is worth a try. They probably have the best pomme frites (twice fried potato fries) in town.

Visited August 2013

80% Recommend
London, United Kingdom
“Fine, but nothing particularly special”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

Went for Sunday brunch at Cafe Brussels and although we had a perfectly pleasant time, I don't think we'll be rushing to return. My croque monsieur was okay, but my husband had the moules mariniere and was very underwhelmed.
Service was fine, very friendly and attentive, but the food just didn't really impress us. All in all, given the wide choice of restaurants available in Houston, I don't think we'll make the effort to come back.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Houston, Texas
“Good food, but horrible service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

We had a 9:15PM reservation for 3 on 8/16 and showed up a few minutes early. We were told that our table wasn't ready and asked if we wanted to wait at the bar. We all ordered beers, though none of us were able to have our first choices as it seemed they had run out of half of the beers on the menu.

After waiting for 15 minutes, I had to flag down the bartender to ask if we would be getting seated anytime soon as we had had a 9:15 reservation. He sat us at a table in the corner with menus and left. Fifteen minutes after that (9:45PM), we were still waiting for a waitress to stop by our table to take our order. My husband's friend ended up having to go up to the bar to ask the bartender if we could get someone to take our order since the restaurant ostensibly closed at 10PM. He took our orders and then a waitress finally stopped by our table 5-10 minutes later to try to take our order (this is 25 minutes after we were seated).

Our food actually arrived promptly, which was surprising given the issues with getting it ordered. The food itself was quite good - my husband & his friend both had one of the mussels dishes and I had the sausage with potato & vegetable mash. One final annoyance was that the waitress took our check with credit cards and split it down the middle without asking how we wanted to split the check given that there were 3 of us and 2 cards.

Overall, the visit was very disappointing. We had been very excited to try the restaurant and enjoyed the food, but the service was just terrible. It appeared that there was only the owner, one waitress and one bartender to serve the entire restaurant, which was clearly inadequate. Given the poor service, I don't think we'll be making a return visit.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
League City, Texas, United States
“All around fantastic experience, as always!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

Cafe Brussels (& owner Catherine) never let us down - we took another couple that had never been, & they said they will be back no question! The guys had the steak with fried eggs on top, & both said the dishes were amazing. I had the trout almondine - always delicious! Their French fries with home-made mayo still stands the taste test of the best! &, oh, the desserts! Crepes are to die for, as is every dessert (& entree) we've ever had! All in a great atmosphere, casual, yet quaint restaurant!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Houston
“Houston Restaurant Weeks at Cafe Brussels”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

From August 1st to early September, Houston does a benefit with many of our local restaurants that benefits the Houston Food Bank. A $20 lunch will give $3 to the Food Bank, a $35 dinner will give $5 to the Food Bank, and a new category this year of a $45 dinner will give $7 to the Food Bank. This started out as a one week event and now is a one month event with more and more restaurants participating each year. We decided to try the Cafe Brussels as we had recently found out that Catherine Duwez was the owner and we had enjoyed the Cafe Montrose restaurant that she owned a few years ago. Their specialty is mussels although when I saw the menu, I wanted one of everything. They have meatloaf, cordon bleu, rabbit, escargot, and so much more, My husband and I both had the escargot for an appetizer. He had the steak tartar for an entree and I had the mussels steamed in white wine. Wines by the glass were between 7 and 9 dollars. There is a great selections of Belgian beers. The mussels were very small although they tried to make up the tiny size with the quantity of mussels. Had they been larger I would give this place 5 stars so ask before you order. Service is top notch!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere