“Do not go there” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 28 Specialty Lodging in Houston
Searcy, Arkansas
“Do not go there”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2011

Everything looks old and trashy there. No free wifi. Smells bad in the room. Staffs are helpful but strange. Not allow to stay in the lobby after 11pm. Neighborhood is unsafe.
Price is ok. 22 for single room.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business

Families
Couples
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Bethesda, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2010

Worst hostel I've ever been to. Not even a slightly bit clean, beds were hard and not comfortable, will never go there again. Even though it was cheap, it was not cheap enough for what it was like in the end.

Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
TX
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2009

Rate this hostel with a zero. This hostel is not a member of the Hostelling International - USA; nor, does it compare to the Chicago IH. It does lead you to believe from the website that it is an international member. The owner and staff are very accomodating. The entry is not uninviting nor is the common lobby. The kitchen is ok; however, I would not cook in it because the basic cleaning hasn't been done in many days/years. The refrigerators and freezers were NASTY.

The rooms are way too dusty, the carpet is hospital grade with numerous stains, dangerous items left in rooms from previous renter, the adopted cat with fleas and a weepy nose gets up on cabinets and the designated eating table.

The bathrooms need sweeping, mopping, and de-molded. I know Houston has a high humidity but a little bleach will keep this mold down to a minumum. The bathtub was in such disrepair it was impossible to take a bath/shower. I do not know how the others were able to take a bath/shower.

The linen is washed;unfortunately, it smells of grease and is stained beyond reality. I saw the dry loads of laundry being folded. The loads were too large to have a successful wash.
Please Be Careful when choosing a Hostel,
a disappointed traveler

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
Dallas, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2009

This hostel is more in the hippie vein than the hipster, but if you're looking for a clean well run place for cheap this is your hostel. The staff is friendly and helpful and there are a lot of museums and a park in the area plus a light rail station about 6 blocks away gives you easy access to the rest of the city.
Everything here is ala carte, towels cost extra, internet cost extra and there is no breakfast. Personally this is to my tastes as I would rather just pay for what I use but regular hostellers might be a little taken aback. If I am ever looking for a cheap place to stay in Houston I will definitely be back.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
Lyon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2009

I was a bit anxious when booking this hostel because of bad reviews. After staying there for three nights, I can cay that most of the negative comments are, in my opinion excessive. This hostel is a real bargain, which is quite rare in Houston.

True, this is not your typical "HI" hostel. The accomodation is minimal - but sufficient - and the owners are not here to entertain the guests. BUT they charge fifteen dollars and this is an excellent location in a quiet neigborhood just a few blocks away from the light rail. You can't beat that and the cleanliness was, in my opinion, ok.

I had no problem with bugs, chores or whatever. The lockout time is only for the dorms and the desk so it is not a big problem if you have taken note of it.

Overall I'd say that if you are looking for a place to sleep for a night or two while you have things to do in Houston, this hostel is an excellent choice. If you are looking for a place to hang out at, you'd better try something more expensive.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Pittsburgh, PA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2008

I really must say that of the many hostels I've happily and safely stayed at, this one is the absolute worst I've ever had the foul experience of staying at.

While the management were quite helpful in allowing the six of us to book a room privately and even helped us to find a taxi and places to eat (no small feat in the Concrete Jungle -- hire a car), their lock-out is not reasonable. Furthermore, be forewarned that all guests are required to do chores every day as part of their stay.

The most inexcusable problem with the hostel is the filth. From floor to ceiling, the grime is thick with neglect. Foul odors lie in wait in stairwells and hallways. The dorms are subpar at best -- the beds uncomfortable and the linens questionably clean. In contrast to some of the other sites, be also forewarned that towels are a one time $3 rental.

The worst part was the infestation of bugs. While I was able to overlook the dead cockroaches in the kitchen and bathrooms, waking up with blood stains on the sheets should have been our first clue, but it wasn't until days later that we realized we'd been the feast of bedbugs. Perhaps fifty or sixty excruciatingly itchy bumps appeared all over my body, on my arms and legs and neck. My travel mates suffered the same fate. What little luck we had manifested itself in our managing not to bring the bedbugs back with us!

You should avoid this hostel - not only is it in a boring section of Houston (whose validity as a travel spot is under serious doubt - what a terrible city!), but it's impossible to find. Four taxi drivers were unable to locate it.

• Liked — Nothing.
  • Disliked — The filth, the dodgy permanent residents, the bugs.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2008

I've stayed in several hostels around the U.S., and this is not a true hostel; it is a large family house with bedrooms containing bunk beds for travelers. The house is located in a residential neighborhood, so there aren't any restaurants or shops nearby. It is clean and the accommodations are minimal. The bathroom is shared and only one at a time can use it, so you'll feel like part of a large family. I didn't hang around much or use the shared kitchen. I stayed here only for one night, just to have a place to sleep after visiting the museums. I took the light rail from Greyhound bus terminal downtown to the Museum stop near the hostel, and walked everywhere I needed to go (Museum of Fine Arts, Contemporary Museum, Menil Museum), so the location is prime. Sheets are included in the price (I paid $14 for the night), but towels are not ($3). The only problem I had was that while I was dressing, the owner walked right into the room without knocking or excusing herself, but that is a minor complaint. I will probably stay again, as it is the only hostel in Houston, it's close to everything I want to do, and it's cheap.

Stayed November 2008

Been to Houston International Hostel? Share your experiences!