“Not the worst but not the best” 3 of 5 stars

Houston International Hostel
5302 Crawford Street, Houston, TX 77004 (The Museum District)   |
Ranked #12 of 30 Specialty Lodging in Houston
Houston, Texas
“Not the worst but not the best”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

I stayed there one night, as I said it could have been worse. It has one f the greatest location of I hostels in houston but the hostel has very poor means. The rooms are old so do not try to plug thre branches adaptator or wire in there but if you need to stay for or to night it is good. At AM you will be kindly ask to leave the room before ten but you can use the restroom and showers anytime. Cheapest hostel I could find and closest from downtown Houston. You have to pay extra for internet and towels but the price of a bed is so low that you can afford it. The staff is helpfull and people there seemed friendly. If you can afford an extra buks to go to the Morty Rich hostel I advise you to try to go there but otherwise this place is cool.

Room Tip: Room B is definitely the best one 4 beds not 8 like the other one
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Families
Couples
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Glens Falls, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

I've stayed there a couple times and it is not unclean, unsafe, or any of that nonsense. I don't know what some of these other reviewers thought they were getting for 19 bucks, it's a hostel. Have you ever stayed in a hostel? Not like the movies. Staff was friendly and facilities were just fine. Guests were friendly. Neighborhood is quiet and safe, although a bit out of the way. Near the Metro rail to get you in to town. Near a nice park and a few museums. Within crawling distance to the Medical Center. The only drawback is having to pay for wi-fi...come on guys fix that please. Not affiliated with Hostelling International (HI-USA), but so what.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
St. Petersburg, Russia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

You should pay extra for a towel and the Internet if you need it. The bedrooms are very dark and not very comfortable.

However, there are a lot of pros. The location and atmosphere is very good. The staff is helpful. Its location in the museum district is excellent, it's close to the main tram line and not far away from the Rothko Chapel.

Also, there is a kitchen which you can use to store and cook your own food if you need it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
El Paso, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

This was the penultimate night (18JUL2012) of completing my Trans-Texas Bicycle Odyssey (West-to-East segment) and I was desperate for adequate rest before my big pedal. Beginning 11JUN2011, I had pedaled to my turn-around date of 30JUN2011, then terminated my tour 08JUL2011 due to heat stroke symptoms. Undeterred, I completed the odyssey this year, except it was much easier: I motored to BeaumontTX, parked & pedaled into LA, back to TX via Port Arthur-Winnie-Bolivar-Galveston-Houston; specifically to the Subway at Westheimer & Voss--my furtherest Eastern point in 2011. To say the least, it was a minor ordeal, most complicated at night when trying to sleep. This wonderful hostel gave me the peace & quiet I absolutely had to have to continue successful cycling. Additionally, the manager, Dawn, was a font of valuable information, as was her mother, Joy, matriarch of Danie Boone Cycles, a superb bike shop next door which also had the Houston Bicycle Museum inside. I was so pleased to be refreshed for my odyssey completion the next day, and highly recommend this wonderful site to anybody on a budget--or not!

Room Tip: All rooms are decent dorm-style bunks. I couldn't find a ladder for my assigned upper bunk, had...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Kerrville, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

I was diagnosed with prostate cancer, I was treated at MD Anderson which is perhaps three miles away, friendly and helpful staff, I stayed there for weeks, reasonable price, and I stay there each time I return for periodic medical treatment

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2012

Extremely pleased with a stay that after having read some of the reviews I had developed trepidations about, But then I realize what motel was I going to stay in for less than 70 with a kitchen,and fridge right downtown with good people to hang with in town? I am on the road 224 days a year so I can say with confidence none.., the location had numerous advantages one being the price (most important), the second being the location.. two train stops from downtown in a safe area, an the ability to socialize with world travelers.This was My first hostel stay and if I can find another comfortable locale I will have to do this again, and I will definitely return to this one.

Room Tip: Private room was the best for the value to me, an is at the farthest point from everyone else in the...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Searcy, Arkansas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2011

Everything looks old and trashy there. No free wifi. Smells bad in the room. Staffs are helpful but strange. Not allow to stay in the lobby after 11pm. Neighborhood is unsafe.
Price is ok. 22 for single room.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business

Been to Houston International Hostel? Share your experiences!